Healing Trance

Colossus

Want to create a character with the power to enter a healing Trance.

Healing Trance:  Regeneration (1 BODY per Hour), Can Heal Limbs, Doubles as Sleep (+1/4) (29 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2) Nonpersistent (-1/4)

Does this make sense or would you build it as healing.   

With that level of concentration there is not much else he can do.  The only thing he can use when in the trance are things that will happen without his doing anything.  Lockout is not really limiting him unless it affects things that would be able to be started.

Regeneration is the way I would do it.  With healing you are limited in how much you can heal.  Keep it simple.

I can see counts as sleep as being a +1/4 advantage.  With it only healing 1 body per hour that means if it did not count as sleep there is a good chance of him being exhausted after healing form a serious injury.

None of the Limitations posted for Healing Trance are actually a hinderance as if you are asleep, you cannot actually Concentrate throughout your sleep.

Leave the trance as taking the time to mentally preparing yourself with Concentration(0 DCV) before you actually lay down to sleep. If your GM is generous, perhaps using Extra Time to kickstart that meditative state before the Regeneration starts.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:43 PM, CptPatriot said:

Leave the trance as taking the time to mentally preparing yourself with Concentration(0 DCV) before you actually lay down to sleep. If your GM is generous, perhaps using Extra Time to kickstart that meditative state before the Regeneration starts.

As written, this doesn't work;  it has Nonpersistent.

I also agree that "counts as sleep" should be a 1 point adder.  1 point LS:  doesn't need to sleep gets you to 8 hours a week, which presumably would be more useful.  Unless the character's in his healing trance 48 hours in a week. :)  

But I gotta mention:  where's the build cost coming from?  Regen 1/hr is 8 points;  limbs is 5.  Even if "counts as sleep" is a +1/4, it's only 3 more.  You're paying for 1 BODY per phase, which is an APG option, but is incredibly powerful.  

With a 1 point adder for the sleep aspect, I'm seeing 14 active.  The concentration requirement actually negates Nonpersistent.  Something that triggers the Nonpersistent, would break the concentration;  and requiring the concentration means that it really isn't persistent, just constant.  It can't work when you're asleep or knocked out.  You've still got a -1 1/2, so 14 --> 5.6, or 6.    

You could, but to me at least, this captures the sense of the healing trance very well.

If we ignore the "counts as sleep"...then the Concentration formal limitation is no more complex, and it's formal rather than ad hoc.  

Secondary:  only while asleep, does that work when Stunned or KOd?  How about kept under, using some long-term knockout gas/drug?  Ad hoc limitations often create some corner cases.  The Concentration limitation doesn't, so it's cleaner.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:59 AM, Colossus said:

Want to create a character with the power to enter a healing Trance.

Healing Trance:  Regeneration (1 BODY per Hour), Can Heal Limbs, Doubles as Sleep (+1/4) (29 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2) Nonpersistent (-1/4)

Does this make sense or would you build it as healing.   

Healing Trance:  Regeneration (1 BODY per Hour) 8 points, Can Heal Limbs +5 points = 13 Active Points; Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2) leaves a cost of 5 points.  I would not even charge 1 point for considering the healing trance to count as sleep. A character will still regenerate while sleeping anyway, so the difference would almost never arise.