The Magus University Superdraft

Holy Alakazam, it's the Magus University Superdraft!

wizards.jpg

What would a university that instructs in the ways of magic look like? Hogwarts is for kids. Where does star pupil Hermione go after Hogwarts? She could go to Magus University! In this draft you will select professors, departments, students, and more! Inspired more by Unseen University than Hogwarts, this is your chance to exorcise those academic demons and reform them into something productive. 

Magus University exists in the modern world, though the exact geographic location is unknown (at this point). For this draft you may select real people*. Most selections will be comprised of two elements: person and role. Selection rules are as follows:

1. Location. For this draft, location will be your academic department and the dean. This selection must be first. 
  2. Faculty & Staff. 
    1. Two professors in the department and their specialty. 
    2. One other university staff member. (Examples below) *
  3. Students. They come in all shapes and sizes, but they need to fill these three roles.
    1. The Star Pupil. Maybe they're the teacher's pet, maybe their IQ is off the charts, or maybe they're just a natural.
    2. The Freshman. Completely new to Magus and kind of lost. Full of potential (or so they think).
    3. The Grad Student. Maybe they're an aide, maybe they're just not ready for the real world. They're the reason caffeine exists. 
  4. Options. Please fill out the university using the following options. 
    1. More Faculty & Staff, more Students. 
    2. Distinguished alumni (honored or outcast) "I didn't know they went here!" Can be from another department. 

3. Distinguishing campus landmark. A striking edifice, a named construction, a statue, or use this to select the exact geographic location (including extended campus locations). 

4. Other campus highlight. A school or department trophy, notable invention(s), team mascot, school paper, etc. 

*I don't think it's necessary, but in case you need ideas for staff: President/Headmaster, bursar, security, head librarian, maintenance, newspaper editor, coach, etc. Some positions will be unique though some can be used more than once. If you have a question, ask ahead. 

At the end of the draft, we will have our customary poll, but this one will be to determine which department should be granted the prestigious Prospero Foundation Grant for Excellence

We begin Wednesday March 1st at 1 pm Eastern Time

For those that have signatures turned off, here is the link to the rosters. 

🧙‍♂️ The Magus University Superdraft Rosters 🧙‍♀️

Format

Spoiler

Owner 

• University Department: 
    • Dean: 
  • Professor: 
    • Area: 
  • Professor: 
    • Area: 
  • Univ. Character: 
    • Staff Role: 
  • Student, Star Pupil: 
  • Student, Freshman: 
  • Student, Graduate: 
  • Option 1: 
  • Option 2: 
  • Option 3: 

Every Major bullet is a selection, sub-bullets are a necessary detail.

4 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Ah, so a shared setting it is that we will construct bit by bit, department by department? If so, as part of the Department selection, can we also throw in a singular building that will be on Campus?

Yup, under options: Distinguishing campus landmark

Well, to start with the faculty you need a dean, someone to set the overall direction and organization of the school, preferably not just skilled in magic but also as an educator. For that position I would nominate The Ancient One, specifically the version from the MCU movies. The comic version had more of a master-apprentice relationship with his students, rather than directing a whole school.

As it happens, I already did some work on a school of magic, the Paolini Academy, teaching Hermetic Theurgy. With maps. But it But it's only one building (plus outbuildings), so there's probably not much I can port into the Superdraft. (Assuming I participate.)

As part of "location," do we nominate a location for the university as a whole? Or are the departments in different geographical locations? (EG, one is part of Miskatonic U in Arkham, another in the hidden cellars left from the Library of Alexandria, a third on an island like Roke from Earthsea, etc.) Or is the overall location deliberately left blank?

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

Or is the overall location deliberately left blank?

It was deliberate, I want someone to use an option pick to give it a locale. However, you do make me think of extended campuses, so let's do this. One option pick will be for the main campus, and further picks can be for extended campus locations, and those can be anywhere. 

My friend got back to me:

Vah (transliterated as ‘uah’, sounds like ‘wah’ or ‘wha’) is an excited utterance that can convey surprise with an element concern or dismay.

Hui! (Sounds like whee, means about the same)

Ah.  Much as ‘vah!’

‘Quid enim faciunt ?’  What does that do?  For a famous last words vibe.

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Ideal for an option pick. 

I had a lot more students in mind, but the list just got too long, so Options allows up to three more student picks while naming their own role. 

Cheers. Are extra staff included in these three option picks or is there additional option picks for them?