The Magus University Superdraft

14 hours ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

You can't. Are you saying the department is destruction? 

It tends to go that way. Specifically you could say Science embracing Chemistry and Physics. You see things tend to explode. That is why you have the phrase at the university 'and that's when the destruction began'

Let's see if I can get away with it that way around

We're off to a great start, thanks everyone! I haven't run one of these in a while. It's nice to get my creative juices going again, especially in a shared world scenario. Very cool. 

Seeing some great ideas here, and some real surprises. (Did not expect to see Gygax himself!) I was not familiar with Paolini, but that's a fascinating read. 

We're already seeing some interdepartmental conflict, and potential for collaboration or crossover. I'll be very curious to see where the student bodies take us. 

As a reminder, the rest of your picks do not have to be in any order. 👨‍🎓

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

It tends to go that way. Specifically you could say Science embracing Chemistry and Physics. You see things tend to explode. That is why you have the phrase at the university 'and that's when the destruction began'

Let's see if I can get away with it that way around

Anyone that's played WoW will tell you that destruction is a perfectly valid magic domain, I'm not quibbling with that. 

It's fine to have a saying or motto, but you can't name a department a clever quip. That's all I'm saying. 

Just a little fiction to elaborate on the first pick. 

"The Puck Institute of Culinary Arts at Magus University is a world leader in magical cuisine instruction."

“Whether it’s a basic love potion or elven Lembas bread or intoxicating Frobscottle, food and drink have long been a beloved medium for the containment of eldritch power.  At the Puck Institute, we believe that it is not enough to contain enchantment, it must also taste good. Potions do not have to taste like medicine. Those days are long gone. Students learn how to forage for the freshest herbs and how to butcher the trickiest unicorns. (With apologies to Dean Sparkle.) Our graduates leave knowing how to make the finest cakes as well as griffin steaks. Welcome to The Puck Institute of Culinary Arts!”

- Dean Alton Brown, orientation address

LkixyJm.jpg

The students left their first day in Consensual Interactive Imagineering class stunned. At first some had scoffed at the tacky props littered about the area. Still, a class was a class and they decided to play along with the kindly and soft spoken professor.. and suddenly they were in a kingdom of quirky characters, Kings and Catfolk, castles and trolleys. It lowered their guard to talk and add to the experience. They weren't just spectators, but citizens who could affect other citizens, to get to know them, and learn better about themselves.

"That felt so damn real.." One student said

"it was real, at least... the truths it revealed were" Another student corrected.

"The man himself called it a Land of Make believe, but... yeah" the other said, "I think I get it."

Pick: Professor Fred Rogers, who excels in classes of empathic magic, neighborhood ethics, and , of course, Make Believe.

il_fullxfull.3080543946_6fax.jpg

Dr. Willy Wonka is an eccentric genius that is much older than you think. With a specialty in confections, his knowledge of chocolate is unsurpassed. He has worked with Miracle Max on occasion in an effort to make Professor Max’s work more palatable. Students alternatively love him or are terrified of him. His student survival graduation rate is above average, almost 90%!  

b79db68f8ef16d1595001c329309a5e2.jpg 

Art by Todd Nauck 

The Greater Chickamauga Department of Magical Healing

Professor: Dr. Frederick Frankenstein

'From that fateful day when stinking bits of slime first crawled from the sea and shouted to the cold stars, "I am man.", our greatest dread has always been the knowledge of our mortality. But tonight, we shall hurl the gauntlet of [magic] into the frightful face of death itself. Tonight, we shall ascend into the heavens. We shall mock the earthquake. We shall command the thunders, and penetrate into the very womb of impervious nature herself.'

636113004207396743-Young-Frankenstein-1.

Next up for the Misrepresentation Conservatory

Professor: Willow Ufgood (Willow)

Specialty: Slight of Hand and Psychological Manipulation

... and then the High Aldwyn says, "The bones choose *you* Burglekutt." The class responded with a wave of laughter.

"Now the High Aldwyn was an excellent sorcerer. He could do actual divination, but he knew when it was better to just *appear* to use magic. Magic is a tool, and good wizards are masters at using that tool. Great wizards know it isn't the only tool and know when it is the wrong tool. I learned that the hard way when a disappearing pig trick succeeded where a petrification spell failed. And that leads us to our first lesson: students, grab your piglets!

Sociotard_Warwick_Davis_is_a_wizard_teac