World Creation Superdraft 7: July 2023

It simply means that there are Assassins Guilds in the Chimney where you can pay to have someone murdered.

Crax is exploiting Greed, Hate, Strife and Intrigue to name but a few.

And while I think about it.

Flora Intoxicana affect on Giants.

Occasionally a giant will either drink a brew made from the plant or come into prolonged contact with the plant. This will make it feel progressively more miserable until it sits down and cries its eyes out. Other races find this appalling and mock said giant especially dwarves for some reason. This will have one of two outcomes. Either the other races will get fed up of the giant and kill it or the mockery will drive the giant into a murderous rage.

On the ninth day, Alitheon ordained:

"As my illumination reveals Creation's arts,

So shall it expose the truth of people’s hearts.

When truths are told, nearby lights shall blaze bright,

When great tales unfold, hues and brightness shall delight.

But in the presence of deceit, light shall dwindle and decline

And if the liar persists, his inner light will die."

Gift to Civilization: Lie Detection (and story embellishment)

higher-heart-chakra-opening.jpg

On 7/16/2023 at 3:45 PM, death tribble said:

Far be it from me to exploit a loophole 

BUT

It would seem the God of Murder is due a favour, so how about a bonus ?

I'll put it to a vote.

Should Crax get a bonus for ridding the Chimney of the Shoggoth ?

Reply in the thread stating yes or no and explain your decision.

Most of us received a bonus pick for positing a God for a con cept no one had done before. While I haven't followed every WCSD, I'm pretty sure nobody did a God of Murder before, so I am willing to grant a bonus, hm, Plant, Animal, or Ore. So that's one bote.

Having Crax murder a continent benefited the Superdraft by increasing setting engagement and connectivity -- lots of Gods (and posters) reacting to a shared event rather than just going their own way. So although I am not going to grant an open Interference that could be used to counter the Warden of the Crax, I *am* willing to grant one specific Interference: No resurrection in the Chimney. Ever. Reincarnation, sure (Alitheon has "Death and Rebirth.") But no extra lives, no magical Make It Didn't Happen. Murder (or any other death cannot be undone. You already established that *controllable* time travel is impossible; now let's remove the other, even more Qwik'n'Eezy way of nullifying the moral weight of homicide. Anyone with me?

Dean Shomshak

On 7/9/2023 at 3:45 AM, death tribble said:

we have not had bastards and neglect so Sociotard can have another gift to civilization

On 7/6/2023 at 3:22 PM, death tribble said:

Fitz chooses to remember the incident and those that died so have another Gift to Civilization as a reward.

Okay, it looks like I get one more secondary domain and two bonus gifts to civilization.

I was going to do "serenity and longsuffering" but I think that might be too close to "Resilience".  Let's do Secondary Domain: Responsibility and Accountability

As for the other two, the god of Neglect is compelled to review the other gifts of the gods to ensure nothing was overlooked. The "high brow" gifts are well represented. Commerce, learning, philosophy, espionage, politics. We're fine there. There is herding, but no horticulture. Most of the plant gifts in this world are intoxicants or remedies.

Gift to civilization: Agriculture and Aquaponics.

There. That will ensure plenty of work for my rivers.

16 hours ago, Old Man said:

Gift to Civilization: Lie Detection (and story embellishment)

"You lied!"

The High Exchequer was offended. "Never, you little shrub! I may embellish, I might exaggerate, but I never lie. Everything I promised is right there in the fine print. You should learn to enhance your reading skills." 

The younger dwarf let free a long, exasperated sigh. "Fine. Fine! See if I buy those from you again. You just lost a customer!" 

That stung. "It hurts me when you say things like that. How did I ever raise such ungrateful children?! When are you coming for dinner? Your mother hasn't seen you in ages."

Secondary Domain: Contracts! Woe be to the being that breaks a contract in The Chimney! The gods are watching. 

6ov6od2cp2m61.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

By my count, I only have an interference left. That should be forthcoming.

On 7/18/2023 at 2:29 AM, death tribble said:

Well this is something that prevents a repeat of what happened before. Consequently have a bonus Gift to Civilisation.

Pedantically, no, thye Warden of the Cracks doesn't prevent Crax from killing another continent, just from killing the entire world. But it was inspired by that act of mass murder, so I'll take it.

Alchemy is 90% cooking -- just especially complicated, precise cooking. So Etterskell is often considered a patron of cookery. But They didn't just teqach the first people to combine and process different foods. (Thoal Anni'in probably has an equal claim on the basic processes of Heat Stuff To Make It Better To Eat.) But the God of Multiplicity's influence meant that people would seek out different foodstuffs, and combine and process them in different ways. Every culture in the Chimney has its own distinctive foods.

Gift to Civilization: Cuisine

EDIT: Or browse through this thread: Foods for those that just don't care anymore - Non-Gaming Discussion - HERO Games

sacher-cake-1598949605ROI.jpg

haggis-hero.jpg

Assortment_of_sushi,_May_2010.jpg

dsc_0060-2.jpg

main-qimg-6e38fcd3e83856f85138d42cd4b834

Dean Shomshak

Edited by DShomshak

Just envisioning the world, we  know we are in a big cylinder. We don't see the opposite side because there's a firmament style sky above. We have no ocean, but several posts have mentioned continents. So, what's between the continents? We did have one draft pick for Sand. I suspect we have many continents separated by vast dune seas.

We also don't have anything for Crafting. Tools and textiles, wicker and metalurgy and woodworking. Again, the god of Neglect feels the need to step in when such happens.

Gift to Civilization (2nd bonus): Glass Dune Ships, their crafting and sailing.

And so man harvest sand from the Great Dune Ocean, and using alchemy crafts it into glass with a shocking range of properties. Glass fibers make sails, hardened glass makes hulls. And the glass ships sail the Great Dune Ocean.

uthel_glass_ship_in_the_desert_fb4d0890-

Of course, if the glass fibers are able to make a sail, they can probably do clothing. If hardened glass is good enough to make a hull, it can probably make a sword or a house. Who knows how man may repurpose this gift to civilization.

Edited by Sociotard

Well, I remember from the first WCSD that just because no God has taken something as part of its portfolio, doesn't mean it isn't part of the world. Things can exist without a God's sponsorship. But I really like sand seas and glass technology.

(Given the influence of Multiplicity, there may be several rival materials and technologies. Especially given that we are still waiting for several entries for the God of Fire.)

Dean Shomshak

This is a long one, so I'll put it under a spoiler.

Spoiler

“Where… where am I?”

The High Exchequer pulled a lamp over. “You’re my… guest.”

“Why am I in chains?”

“You’re my hostile guest. I cannot allow the man who wants me dead to walk about freely.”

“What—”

The priest waved dismissively. “Don’t deny it. The man you hired works for me.”

The prisoner groaned. “He, no, he—”

“Works for the guild. Yes. Do you honestly think that I would allow any contract on my life without a counteroffer? I’m not hurt that you tried to have me killed; you’re a small, jealous man. What really hurts is that you thought my death was worth so little. 100,000 KOR? Really? My breakfast cost more. I don’t think you truly understand just how much I’m worth.”

“You’re a monster! Your money could feed the whole world easily.”

He nodded. “Yes, several times over, I’m certain.”  

“And yet you don’t. Why? If it’s that easy--”

“You couldn’t possibly understand. I could explain all day, and still you would not understand. Just like you do not understand my wealth, my power.” He grinned a bit too much on that last word. A tad dramatic, he thought.

“So, what happens now? You kill me?”

“Most likely,” said The High Exchequer. “I could make a martyr of you, I suppose, or I could make you simply disappear. Do you have a preference?” The prisoner did not speak but stared defiantly. “Or,” he went on, “we could make a deal. I don’t think you want to kill me as much as you want what is mine. I am the richest man in the Chimney and you’re jealous. That’s it, isn’t it?”

No answer.

“So, how about this? I give you 2,000,000 KOR and you leave alive. We’ll forget this pathetic demonstration ever happened. You can even relocate so you don’t have to face your movement and admit what happened.”

He spit. “You can’t buy me.”

“I can. 3,000,000.”

“It would take more than you can afford.”

“You’re being insulting. 3,500,000 KOR.”

“10,000,000 KOR.”

“7,000,000 and your life. My final offer.” The prisoner said nothing. “Think of the things you can do with that money. Choose any charity - give to the poor.” He waited.

“7,000,000? You’re being serious?”

“I don’t joke about money. In 30 seconds it goes down to 6.”

“How can you--?”

“6,000,000. Going, going…”

“Ok, I’ll take it!” The man screamed.

“Good. It’s a deal. 6,000,000 KOR and you will go back and tell them that you work for me now.”

He looked confused. “Work for you?”

“Yes. Did you think you were getting that kind of money for nothing? You will go back and tell them that I bought you. Your little movement will collapse and I can eat my lunch in peace.”

“I can’t… they’d kill me.” 

“That is possible. You probably should have taken my offer to relocate. Instead, now I own you.”  

“You can’t own someone.”

The priest chuckled. “My dear boy, you have no idea what I own.” He grabbed they key to the chains. “The Church of Nagus owns more of this world than you can possibly fathom. And I am the church. If I want to buy you, I can. In fact, I just did. I could have bought you for 1,000,000,000 KOR and barely noticed, but you’re not worth the trouble. Now, should I unlock you or do you want to have a temper tantrum?”

The man held his arms out to be unlocked.

“Excellent. We’ll work out the details upon your return, if they don’t kill you. Just how rabid is your little following? No matter, they’re done now.”

Interference pick: The Church of Nagus Sterling owns most of The Chimney! Just over 52%, in fact. Through very shrewd negotiations and divine guidance, the church owns a vast amount of the land, though it is not always obvious. They are behind everything. Even much of the elven land belong to the church. The paper trail is hard to follow, but it’s all there.

vzxDmziIRdnkTZQwDOb57JuPE8paMEQzsEsL1Ev8

On the tenth day, Alitheon saw that

His celestial spheres, though magnificent,

Were lonely and unreachable by

the people of Creation.  He said,

“Let the rays of sun and moon support the feet

of the people, that they may tread the footless

halls of the skies, and so come closer to my light.”

public

Bonus Geography: Bridges of Light to the Skies

On 7/18/2023 at 10:34 PM, DShomshak said:

Most of us received a bonus pick for positing a God for a con cept no one had done before. While I haven't followed every WCSD, I'm pretty sure nobody did a God of Murder before, so I am willing to grant a bonus, hm, Plant, Animal, or Ore. So that's one bote.

Having Crax murder a continent benefited the Superdraft by increasing setting engagement and connectivity -- lots of Gods (and posters) reacting to a shared event rather than just going their own way. So although I am not going to grant an open Interference that could be used to counter the Warden of the Crax, I *am* willing to grant one specific Interference: No resurrection in the Chimney. Ever. Reincarnation, sure (Alitheon has "Death and Rebirth.") But no extra lives, no magical Make It Didn't Happen. Murder (or any other death cannot be undone. You already established that *controllable* time travel is impossible; now let's remove the other, even more Qwik'n'Eezy way of nullifying the moral weight of homicide. Anyone with me?

Dean Shomshak

After two days, we have one vote to give DT a bonus pick and no votes against. I don't think it's fair to leave DT hanging indefinitely, so I will take the initiative. A few more days, but only a few for people to vote.

Going...

Dean Shomshak

On the last day, Alitheon saw what he had wrought,

As well as that of the other gods. He said,

“My fellow gods have worked hard to create Creation,

and should be rewarded accordingly.

Thus, for each of them, I have fashioned a gift.

“To Oeneus, God of Intoxicants, I give the gift of: Drunken Realizations.

“To Thoal Anni’in, the Fire God, I give: Frickin’ Lasers.

“For Clarkent Kai, God of Heroes, I give: Lightsabers.

“To Crax, God of Murder, I give the gift of: Redemption.

“To Etterskell, God of Multiplicity, I give: Wave-Particle Duality and Quantum Mechanical Probability Wavefunctions.

“To Nadiya Brightbringer, Goddess of Hope, I give: Rose Colored Glasses and Undying Light.

“To Masque, God of Intrigue, I give: Dark Glasses and Shades of Gray.

“To Nagus Sterling, God of Avarice, and Aziza, Goddess of Reflection, I give: Shiny Things.

“To Strangecharm, Goddess of Small Things, I give: Microscopy and the Quantum Realm.

“To Rancor The Hater and Ceass, God of Strife, I give: White Hot Fury.

“To Fitz, the God of Neglected Bastards, I give: The Spotlight and Awkward DNA Test Results.

“May these gifts be used to improve our Creation and enlighten its peoples. You’re welcome.”

Interference: The Gifts of Alitheon

1000_F_123170805_NvmMGphxfY8PI5evYbU6oHE

The first of my bonus picks will be an Interference.

---

"The Shepherd is my lord. I shall not want. He makes me sit, beg, stay and roll over..."

To protect the flocks from wolves, you need your own wolves.

Interference (Fitz): Dogs are domesticated Wolves.

And don't say Oeneus is is a complete deadbeat dad - he invented puppies for his kids!

---

Second bonus pick soon. Working out some details.

I am grateful to Logan who gave me the idea for my bonus pick to civilisation.

'If Greed is so Good, what am I doing about it ?' thought Crax. In truth he felt that Nagus creed spread a lot of evil for which he was happy but it did not actively promote murder which was what he was all about. He felt a twinge and cursed. If Alitheon was going to curse him with a gift why couldn't he have White Hot Fury instead of Redemption ?

Crax paused. What if he gifted the Chimney with something that opposed and upset the other gods whilst also playing to the strengths of others ? 

He smiled. Something that would be against heroes but would be embraced by intrigue. Something that might come from intoxication but was against purification. Something that came out of Intolerance and was against hope. Something that would require courage but cause strife and something that could use the cracks. Something that would involve small things. Something that was against truth. Something that greed sponsored. Something that could ultimately lead to murder.

And he had already had the prototype for had he not gifted Murder to this World ?

Thus Crax created Thieves Guilds.

Gift to Civilisation: Thieves Guilds

Second and last bonus pick.
---
The people had gathered in a circle. The sacred bowl had been passed. The singing had begun. It began discordantly, with each singing their own tune, often out of tune, but presently it began to take on a unified character.

From many voices came a single tune - a Harmony. From many, one.

Secondary Domain: Harmony.
---
Making one out of many could arguably be taken as an interference in Etterskell's domain, but it's reasonable that there should be an opposing pole, and it fits in nicely with Oeneus' existing domains.

And that's it for me.