NFL 2023

unclevlad

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

That and this Dobbs kid might actually be a decent QB. 

So far the Derps with their rookie QB and their rookie coach are at least not imploding. I mean, it’s the Giants. But I’ve seen worse out of them. Recently. 

Said to my brother that maybe the team decided to actually play with Josh gone.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Said to my brother that maybe the team decided to actually play with Josh gone.

Maybe, but wait and see when they play a pro-level team.

And hey, there was a LOT of talk that McDaniel was locker room poison, so...could be true.

EDIT:  AGH!!!  Eagles try to give me a heart attack!  Punt the ball, stick Dallas back on the 14 with less than a minute...but 3 defensive fouls, including a pass interference and roughing the passer!!!  Dallas has plays in the red zone to win...NOOOO!!!!

Fortunately, Dak Does Dak, and the Cowboys botch things.  Dak gets sacked with 20-odd seconds left...clock runs...they could've spiked with maybe 15 seconds.  No, they try to run a streak, it fails miserably, and they're down to 1 play.  THEN they get a delay of game!!!!  McCarthy at his finest!  5 seconds left, one play from the 26...pass is complete to the 3 or so, and tackled immediately.  

Eagles try to blow it, but don't...28-23.  They've now got a serious margin for the division.

48 minutes ago, Pariah said:

...and Daniel Jones is done for the season. ACL.

I saw that play when it happened.  Poor bastard just crumpled, completely noncontact.  I knew it almost had to be an ACL.

Rams Vikings RB Cam Akers blew his Achilles yesterday too.  (The other one this time.)  His career might be over.

Didn't see it, but the story about it in the Atlantic was he was limping clearly from a hit on the prior play.  Tried to walk it off, continue playing, and...well...you saw the result.

Feel The Burn, #1

Watson was healthy enough to play Sunday, and the Browns were wise to let him dip a toe in the water against an Arizona team that’s sprinting toward a two- or three-win season. 

More of the same...the headline for the section...

Maybe Josh McDaniels was the problem …

And maybe the question of whether McD will get another shot, isn't so open and shut...if the Raiders do OK, if they pull out a playoff berth?  Joshy boy may be sitting a good, long time....

And last, Feel the Burn #2

Conversely, are the Giants really this bad? “Yes” is the easy answer, apparently, between last week’s epic meltdown against the Jets and this no-show. But, man, that is a bad situation.

How bad?  101 points through 9 games.  Second fewest...Jets, 126.  Through 7.  Steelers, 133.  Through 8.  Pats, 135 through 9.

The Giants don't project to score 200 points for the season...191, based on their current rate.  And now their starting QB is out.  13 teams already have 191+ points.

45 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Not watching it, but that score is kinda along the lines I expected.

Note that the Chargers' 27 is misleading.  Punt return TD.  Strip-sack and fumble, returned to the 2;  run in from there.  Jets' yardage is also misleading;  much of it came after that score put the game away.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

As someone with a lifelong talent for standardized tests, I've long known you should never rely on such a test as your sole criterion.  You have to be idiots in order to do that.

Oh wait.  We're talking about the NFL.  Duh.

I'd call it grasping at straws, for anything to help avoid making a Ryan Leaf-esque mistake.  Drafting the wrong QB high in the first round costs a team 3-5 years now.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

As someone with a lifelong talent for standardized tests, I've long known you should never rely on such a test as your sole criterion.  You have to be idiots in order to do that.

There needs to be a way to weed out those idiots.  I know, maybe we could make a test!

2 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Blood test? ;)

I had to take a blood test when I was 20 for a job. I failed three different times.

(My white cell count was too high. Then my doctor gave me Keflex, and I passed a week later. Good stuff, that.)

_

Edited by Pariah

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I'd call it grasping at straws, for anything to help avoid making a Ryan Leaf-esque mistake.  Drafting the wrong QB high in the first round costs a team 3-5 years now.

FWIW, I was faculty at Washington State when Leaf was a student there.  Didn't have him in any of my classes, though, and neither did anyone I knew.  A couple years before and at a different institution, I do remember having a kid who became an NFL quarterback (this guy) in the first big class I taught at a university level (I am leaving out a couple of community college courses here).  He did OK.

Unfortunately, FERPA prohibits professors talking about students' academics, except for recognized legitimate academic reasons, without explicit written permission of the student.  But for that, talking to former profs might give you some insight there.  Wouldn't help you with those few people like Otis Sistrunk but those are rare and don't go through the draft anyway.

19 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Note that the Chargers' 27 is misleading.  Punt return TD.  Strip-sack and fumble, returned to the 2;  run in from there.  Jets' yardage is also misleading;  much of it came after that score put the game away.

IIRC, when the Chargers were up 21-3, the offensive stats for both teams, yardage wise, was pretty much the same. Difference in game was Chargers took ball away and Jets didn't get any of the fumbles they caused. This game was painful to watch, honestly.

34 minutes ago, slikmar said:

IIRC, when the Chargers were up 21-3, the offensive stats for both teams, yardage wise, was pretty much the same. Difference in game was Chargers took ball away and Jets didn't get any of the fumbles they caused. This game was painful to watch, honestly.

20-6, but yeah.  That, and the punt return.  Yeah, it was something like 350 yards combined...early 4th, I believe.  I think the Chargers had the edge by about 20 yards. Lessee...

Chargers punt the ball just inside 5 minutes.  Jets gain 21 yards...then the fumble, returned to the 2, and the clinching TD.  Jets get 73 meaningless yards.

So at the time of the Chargers' punt, the Jets had 176 yards...after 55 minutes.  The Chargers only had 190.  Also of note:  13 total sacks, 15 total punts.

What's interesting is...scoring is lower overall, but not that much.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/scoring.htm

What we seem to have is more randomness...the Miami-Denver game, the Houston-TB game on the plus side.  Arguably, some HORRIFIC starts to the season...the Steelers are playing somewhat better on offense, for example.  LOTS!!! of backup QBs, perhaps...some who've done OK...sometimes.  I wonder if

a)  offenses have gone overboard on read and react style play...when they're not prepared for it, and when it's vulnerable to injury because the backups haven't had enough time in the system.

b)  lots of things favor the offense, to be sure, but the *lack* of flexibility in many offenses is giving the defenses chances to make more plays

c)  to that...you don't need a strong running game per se, but you do need to *threaten* the run plausibly.  

d)  the rush to the quick fix.  Too many front offices think they're 1 or 2 players away...when they're not.  They try the free agent game, they overpay...only to find that one threat is never enough, or that a QB without a line protecting him is an IR entry waiting to happen.  There's a near-universal move...get the QB NOW!!! if you don't have one.  Even if there's a half dozen other gaping holes.  And there's a flip side...if you don't trust your young QB, you overuse the marginal, sometimes even bad, vet (Tannehill).  

It's all 100% WIN NOW!!!!  And football's the *worst* sport for that approach/mentality.