TV Superheroes

farik

Okay HEROdom I'd like you're assistance I'm trying to write-up a list of TV Supers. Now to clarify to make the list the character must

a) be superhuman (MONK would be the lowest version of Super I'd consider since if he did exist he'd be in some kind of institution not doing consulting work for the PD)

B) Be primarily a TV character (it's okay if they made it to comics or movies later but they need to have an origin in TV)

c) be Live Action (there would be too many if we included animated characters)

So far I've thought of these

Streethawk

Starman

Automan

Knight Rider

The Greatest American Hero

the Sentinal

Manimal

Monk

Nightman

Mutant X (only because they technicaly didn't take any actual X-Men characters)

anybody else?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Misfits of Science

Ultraman from My Secret Identity

Captain Nice

Mr. Terriffic

One-shots alowed? There was a superhuman faimly in the Made-for-TV movie Up Up and Away!.

Mark, the Man From Atlantis

Seems like the same producers had an Iron Man ripoff, but that may have never gotten past pilot.

I'm sure I'll remember others.

Oh! Live action only? Or can we include animation?

Originally posted by McCoy

Captain Nice

Mr. Terriffic

Up Up and Away!.

These ones I don't remember. But you did just remind me of MANTIS

and I'd forgotten the the kid (Jerry O'Connell) from MY SECRET IDENTITY was named Ultraman

And yes I would prefer Live action only since animation would generate way too many to keep track of.

Oh, and can we define "superhuman?" Jeanie, Samantha, Uncle Martin, and Spock all had powers and abilities far beyond mortal men, but technically were not human. But neither was Kal-El.

Jeanie, Samantha, and Uncle Martin would count since they were in a contemporary setting primarily Spock and the Aliens of Alien Nation would not since they're more about a different "setting" than about "powers"

Re: TV Superheroes

Originally posted by farik

B) Be primarily a TV character (it's okay if they made it to comics or movies later but they need to have an origin in TV)

>SNIP<

Nightman

Nightman was an extremly obscure comic character before he became a TB character

If magic counts...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Angel

Duncan McCloud

Nick from Forever Knight

Barnibus from Dark Shadows

The sisters from Charmed

The angels from Touched by an Angel

Michael Landon from Highway to Heaven

Mama & Fester from the Adams Family

Pretty much all the Munsters

Originally posted by Jhamin

If magic counts...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Angel

Duncan McCloud

Nick from Forever Knight

Barnibus from Dark Shadows

The sisters from Charmed

The angels from Touched by an Angel

Michael Landon from Highway to Heaven

Mama & Fester from the Adams Family

Pretty much all the Munsters

Shenanagans!

Buffy and Duncan McCloud were in the movies before TV. The entire Addams (note the "double d") Family were cartoons before TV. All characters in the Munsters were derived from movies.

No objections to the others.

Originally posted by farik

Captain Nice

Mr. Terriffic

Up Up and Away!

These ones I don't remember.

Then you're probably not as old as I am.

Man From Atlantis Patrick Duffy played a web-fingered, water breathing amnesiac with no body hair. (He had to shave his arms, chest, back and legs for the part, and if you remember the opening credits of Dallas he was naturally a little bear cub!)

The interesting thing about Duffy playing Namor without serial numbers is that Duffy can't swim.

UP, UP AND AWAY

Robert Townsend, Michael J. Pagan, Sherman Hemsley, Alex Datcher. Written by Dan Berendsen. Produced by Harvey Frand. Directed by Robert Townsend. Hartbreak films. Airs 1/22/00 at 7:30pm ET/PT and throughout the month on The Disney Channel. 90 min. Comedy/adventure.

The Marshalls aren’t just your typical family. While ordinary in appearance, they are actually superheroes, each with a secret identity and superhuman power used to battle evil. In this original comedy, Scott Marshall has been anxiously awaiting his 14th birthday, traditionally the time when superheroes attain full control of their powers and are granted their alter identity. Unfortunately, Scott is exhibiting no signs of extraordinary behavior of any kind. Fearing that his parents will be disappointed in having a "normal" son, Scott pretends to have superhuman strength and the ability to fly.

When the family is captured by a criminal mastermind intent on using mind control to take over the world, Scott uses brains to rescue his family and discovers that it takes more than superpowers to make a true hero.

Not rated: one mild expletive.

A funny film parents will enjoy with the little ones. Replete with cool special effects and life lessons such as being loved just for being you and not needing super powers to be a superhero. The family motto is Truth, Respect, Honor.

UP, UP AND AWAY

Interesting, to me anyway, because it was a Black family with superpowers. Sherman Hemsley plays the grandfather, who complains several times about being upstaged by Clark Kent.

Mr. Terriffic and Captain Nice both premered January 9, 1967, on CBS and NBC respectively, in an attempt to cash in on ABC's Batman gold strike.

Let's see, The Mr. Terriffic Theme.

A scientist, bot wise and bold

Set out to cure the common cold!

Instead he found this Power Pill

Which he said most certainly will

Turn a Lamb into a Lion!

Like an Eagle he'll be flyin'!

Solid steel will be like putty!

It will work on anybody!

But then was found this potent Pill

Made the strongest men quite ill

So then the secret search begain

To find the one and only man

What they found made them squemish

For only Stanley Beamish

A weak and puny dafadill

Could take the potent Power Pill

Gas station attendant and reluctant goverment secret superhero Stanley Beamish becomes super strong, invulnerable, and (when wearing his special jacket and flaping his arms) can fly, for half an hour after taking his jawbreaker size Power Pill. Two smaller booster pills gave him the same powers for 15 minutes each. No explanation was ever given for not supplying him with additional pills for an emergency backup. "Just say no to drugs" was decades in the future.

For some reason, I don't remember Captain Nice. I've heard the powers and origin were simular to Mr. Terriffic, but it could be I never watched it. I believe 13 episodes of each were made.

[Let's see, The Mr. Terriffic Theme.

--deleted--

Gas station attendant and reluctant goverment secret superhero Stanley Beamish becomes super strong, invulnerable, and (when wearing his special jacket and flaping his arms) can fly, for half an hour after taking his jawbreaker size Power Pill. Two smaller booster pills gave him the same powers for 15 minutes each. No explanation was ever given for not supplying him with additional pills for an emergency backup. "Just say no to drugs" was decades in the future.

For some reason, I don't remember Captain Nice. I've heard the powers and origin were simular to Mr. Terriffic, but it could be I never watched it. I believe 13 episodes of each were made.

Man, you're just scary. I thought I was the only one who remembered that show. I even used the huge pills idea for healing pills in one game (takes full phase, side effects on 11- gagging).

Originally posted by Bengal

Isis was made-for-TV I think. And don't forget The Sable... even though he was utterly forgettable.

Salamander was a TV Superhero in the imaginary world of the LA Law universe, so I think he should count double.

No, Isis was a Golden Age heroine published by Fawcett.