What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

. . . Did you really mean that? 'Cus some plaques are really hard to avoid.

Well, you know, cliches are a dime a dozen, so he wanted to be a little different.

Small Favor, by Jim Butcher, the latest book in the Dresden Files. An excellent continuation of the story, with a number of plot twists, some of which I didn't see coming and some of which I saw coming two books back.

I think part of the charm of this series is the fact that Harry can't just power his way out of trouble. In most cases he has to think rather than react - and I like thoughtful and intelligent heroes.

I just finished another Dresden Files book called "Proven Guilty" by Jim Butcher. At a time when school AND work are very demanding, it sure is nice to read a good, solid story with familiar characters that isn't challenging.

I am now reading "Ysabel" by Guy G. Kay. This is his last chance. After "Last Light of the Sun" proved to be disappointing, I vowed to steer clear of Kay. I keep looking for another Fionavar Tapestry series, but Kay seems determined to venture away from that type of book.

I finished reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the first of a trilogy. A retired hero is telling his story to Chronicler, who's known the world over for setting things straight. This was day one. We start with Kvothe as a young Edema Ruh (something like a gypsy) meeting an arcanist (graduate of the magical academy) and being inspired onto a new path in life. Despite the fact that he's a VERY fast learner, however, the road isn't a smooth one for young Kvothe. This is made no easier by a rivalry with a son of a noble, and falling in love.

The story is limited by Kvothe's perspective, sometimes leading the reader to question events. Nonetheless, they ring truer than the sensationalized stories about Kvothe we overhear when not in the meandering series of flashbacks. Also, he hints at things to come that Chronicler already knows about, which adds to the dramatic tension by making the reader curious.

This book covers day one of his story; the second day isn't out yet. The book is out in paperback, though; Josh and I had to buy a second copy in paperback, just so I'd be able to finish it in time for our book club tonight.

It's a longer book, but well worth the investment of time. I've been hearing gushing praise about it, which usually makes my cynical and contrary. But in this case, Rothfuss has earned it.

The Resurrectionist

By Jack O'Connell

Honestly, I'm not even sure if I liked it or not. It was a very odd and intense read, and I'm glad I read it, but the after impression is not terribly positive. It's very difficult to explain. Strong elements of fantasy, with two overlapping and intertwined stories. The first story is about Sweeney and his comatose son in the 'real world.' The second story takes place in a comic book that follows a troupe of circus freaks as they try to survive in a world that shuns them. They come together in a surreal experience prompted by a biker gang called the Abominations.

It is a rare book that keeps me reading because I don't know where it is going. And at the end, I'm still not sure where it is going. Just an odd sort of book. Very strong impressions, though, so there must be something to it.

. . . Did you really mean that? 'Cus some plaques are really hard to avoid.

Yes but you should go out of your way, doing anything possible TO avoid seeing it. Make an excuse, get a friend to call you and pretend your father died. Do ANYTHING you can to avoid seeing that movie. Heck, Coyote Ugly your own arm if it will get you out of it.

Heck' date=' [b']Coyote Ugly[/b] your own arm if it will get you out of it.

What does that expression mean? I've only heard it as a movie title.

And I didn't even see the movie.

I think he means that if someone is dragging you to see this movie, chew through your own arm to get out of their grip. It's a habit coyotes and wolves have to get out of traps.

I've never heard it called Coyote Ugly before.

CES

Coyote Ugly in its original context means this:

Waking up with someone extremely ugly asleep on your arm, realizing what a mistake you have made and eating off your own arm to prevent any risk of waking them while you are still there.

Got and devoured very quickly Robert Asprin's "Dragon's Wild" book.

It was quite enjoyable. A breezy read for the most part, but good. The series; take on dragons in the modern world is well handled, with what suits the story's needs cherry picked and adapted without shame. :) There is less humor than the Myth books, but it blends light hearted moments well with some darker touches.

No' date=' you're not. Trust me on this.[/quote']

Haha, alright, I was somewhat leary about there even being sequels, so with your recommendation I won't waste time even looking them up. Already forgotten.

Coyote Ugly in its original context means this:

Waking up with someone extremely ugly asleep on your arm, realizing what a mistake you have made and eating off your own arm to prevent any risk of waking them while you are still there.

Huh, that's a new one on me.

I think he means that if someone is dragging you to see this movie, chew through your own arm to get out of their grip. It's a habit coyotes and wolves have to get out of traps.

I've never heard it called Coyote Ugly before.

CES

That's basically what I was assuming but I wanted to be sure.

I read The Secret History of Moscow by Ekaterina Sedia. A young Russian woman in the mid-90's in Moscow has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, which is why, when she believes her vanished sister to have turned into a bird, she doesn't tell anyone. Rather, she tries to solve it herself, with the help of a cop and a homeless painter. The search brings them to the underground, where they meet people long ago assumed dead, various fairy tale characters and creatures, gods and old war heroes. Their knowledge of Russian mythology winds up being the key to solving the mystery of people turning into birds. The ending is bittersweet, and perfect.

Sedia doesn't assume you know a thing about Russian mythology, history or the situation in Russia in the 1990's, so there are explanations within the text. Apparently the book was written in English, but it has a tone quite similar to translated Russian literature.

It's this month's speculative fiction pick for my book club, and I'm pleased to be able to come back to the book club and say I liked it. (So far, I've liked all of the selections, though, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.)

Finished World War Z. An interesting take on zombie apocalypse. It also lends itself to an RPG setting. I really need to break out the Zombie Survival Guide and stat-up the zombies.