What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

I just finished a Jim Butcher-a-Thon! I'd picked up and read Storm Front' date=' the first Dresden File book just before my birthday. My wife picked up books 2 through 6 for my birthday, and after I downed them, I picked up 7 and 8, finishing up all the paperbacks within a week. This week, I read (several days of migraines impeding my progress) the first Codex Alera novel, [i']Furies of Calderon[/i]. I'll pick up the other two paperbacks this weekend.

Then I'll froth at the mouth until the current hardback for each series is released in paperback. Or else, I'll put it on my library wait list.

I'd have to say it looks like Butcher is well on his way to becoming one of the greats in the field. He's simply a solid writer who knows how to move a story along. And that's hard to beat. Furies of Calderon was one of the few 500 page fantasy novels I've read in a while that didn't bog down. Heck, that's probably because he had the sense to keep it to 500 pages, instead of adding another 300-500 pages of bloat. If you like a good page turner, you should like Jim Butcher.

I and my wife are both enjoying this series.

. . . Am chugging through The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton. Very good space opera. Not even halfway through yet -- it's over 1' date='200 pages long.[/quote']

It was a good read until the last book. Then...well I won't say anything specific so as not to spoil it for you. Let's just say I was...disapointed.

Josh and I finished listening to Eye of the World, and we're nearly done with The Great Hunt. I'm warming to the series, though I suspect that, if it hadn't been approached in an audio format, Josh's books would've been thrown across the room a dozen times over, and he'd've had to talk me into opening them up again. Gah.

I also read The Stupidest Angel on Christmas Eve. It's a Christmas horror story, by Christopher Moore. I found it hilarious.

Josh and I finished listening to Eye of the World' date=' and we're nearly done with [i']The Great Hunt[/i]. I'm warming to the series, though I suspect that, if it hadn't been approached in an audio format, Josh's books would've been thrown across the room a dozen times over, and he'd've had to talk me into opening them up again. Gah.

You may still find yourself doing it with whatever you are playing future audio books on.

You may still find yourself doing it with whatever you are playing future audio books on.

I'm listening to them in the car, so I'd have to run the whole thing into a telephone pole. But it's not like I'm doing anything important during the drive, so the audiobook thing is working out.

. . . Am chugging through The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton. Very good space opera. Not even halfway through yet -- it's over 1' date='200 pages long.[/quote']

I'm on the last book right now. I've enjoyed the story so far pretty much, but more than anything else I've just really liked the setting. Voidhawks are "win", if I may.

I'm listening to them in the car' date=' so I'd have to run the whole thing into a telephone pole. But it's not like I'm doing anything important during the drive, so the audiobook thing is working out.[/quote']

So how is your automobile insurance? (Sorry, I can not even begin to tell you how frustrated I got with some of Jordan's tropes before I gave up on the series for my blood pressure.)

Guess I am in the mood for apocalyptic fiction. What are your faves' date=' Susano?[/quote']

In apocalyptic fiction? Uhm.... I don't think I read that much.

Let's see....

The Stand

Lucifer's Hammer

Damnation Alley

That's just off of the top of my head.

My mistake! I didn't mean "apocalyptic" in the Christian sense. I meant "world-ending" via nuclear' date=' asteroid impact, zombie infestation (tried World War Z), or alien incursion.[/quote']

Well, The Stand is super-flu, Lucifer's Hammer is a comet, and Damnation Alley is nuclear war. I haven't read my copy of World War Z yet.

But "The Stand" counts as apocalyptic(religious) in my opinion...and I read it years ago.

I read "Damnation Alley" recently. Although I am a BIG fan of Zelazny, I didn't like it.

Kinda looking for a "Jitterbug" type of book, but better.

I am considering McDevitt's "Eternity Road". I wish he would write a book like "A Talent for War" again...

But thanks for the recs anyway, Susano. I may give "Lucifer's Hammer" another try!