Batman's gone!!! Now who will defend Gotham?

Mark Rand

A tip of the hat to Blue for this idea.

Batman, Robin and Nightwing have vanished. Who can protect Gotham City now? Doctor Arcane, a mage and one of Batman's friends, can't. He's too busy fighting undead forces to help.

Alfred and Oracle decide to form a new team to protect Gotham City. One member is Batgirl, who has been, with Batman's approval, Barbara's student for the past two years.

Where do we go from here?

Re: Batman's gone!!! Now who will defend Gotham?

Originally posted by Mark Rand

Alfred and Oracle decide to form a new team to protect Gotham City. One member is Batgirl, who has been, with Batman's approval, Barbara's student for the past two years.

Where do we go from here?

Catwoman

Slam Bradley

Wildcat

Uhmm considering that he owns Gotham Communications, lives in(or at least used to) Gotham and is one of the most powerful beings on DCU Earth, I think Allan Scott(Sentinel) could handle it in his spare time from JSA stuff.

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

Bat-mite!

Ace the Bat-Hound!

I was going to mention Alan Scott, but I wasn't sure that he was still in Gotham. In any case, he's probably a bit busy to do lots of "street stuff". But I'm sure he would turn up if Oracle discovered that someone was planning on killing lots of people.

Hmm. Actually my suggestions of Catwoman and Slam Bradley aren't that bad an idea if Alan Scott (I'm not accustomed to the Sentinel name yet - he's still Green Lantern in my brain) is around to do the heavy lifting. The two normals do the investigation, and the Big Guy does the butt-kicking. It works for me.

And of course, there's always Jay Garrick. He could always spend five minutes in Gotham every day or so. (Or Wally, if Jay's been twinked with..)

A Non-Issue

Not to derail the thread or anything, but it's pretty much a non-issue whether you're an optimist or a pessimist.

Optimist: Depending on continuity, Batman has trained four Robins, two Batgirls, at least one Batwoman, and Ace the Bathound. The Huntress is still tooling around. Then there are all those "The Brave and the Bold" visiting vigilantes of the week. SOMEBODY'll be around to tackle the thugs no matter what happens to Batman. It's a wonder all those crime families and the Arkham Asylum crowd have managed to survive these six-odd decades with all the costumed crimefighters roaming the streets.

Pessimist: On the other hand, all those crime families -- not to mention the Arkham Asylum crowd -- are still terrorizing the Gotham populace despite the ferocity of the Bat Family and Wayne Enterprises' billions. Sixty years of ruthless crime-fighting haven't tamed the violence or curbed the greed that seems instrinsic to the city, and the idiotic populace still won't support the death penalty for the mass of mass murderers intent on thinning its ranks. The Washington politicos who wanted to abandon Gotham after the No Man's Land earthquakes had the right idea. Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon should retire to Tempe, AZ, and let Gotham fall into the ruin it so richly deserves.

Actually, in the "Made of Wood" storyline, Alan Scott admitted that he never really got the detective thing. So he and Bat's worked together to solve the mystery.

So I think if Batman disappeared, then Scott would tend to take over being the main hero of the city. He would leave most normal street level crime to the Bat-team members who were still around (Batgirl and Huntress, Catwoman may start tackling more crime, Azrael is dead) and only show up when someone needs a severe butt-kicking.

Re: Organized Crime; I thought the Dark Victory storyline (by Loeb) centered around one of the major crime families. I don't think organized crime is as powerful as in say Bludhaven, but they continually mentioned different gangs. I think the mob may have lost a lot of power, but it seemed the asian gangs are gaining power in Gotham. The current Catwoman storyline centers on organized crime trying to get a stronger hold on her neighborhood. So, organized crime is definitaly not dead in Gotham.

Great stuff so far, folks.

Here's a bit more info that could help or hinder your ideas.

We're not in the DC universe. Instead, we're in a version of the CU where space aliens aren't publicly known to exist, the DOSPA isn't the only federal agency to appoint liaisons to superhero teams and Gloria Valdez is President of the United States.

She became President when a series of explosions destroyed the Capital, killing President Bush, not to mention most of the rest of the government, moments after he started a State of the Union address.

PRIMUS does exist. Silver Avenger Mariko Nakamura respects Batman and his allies and, unless VIPER or DEMON raise their heads, let them handle Gotham City while they deal with the rest of the area they watch over.

Originally posted by starblaze

Maybe the Punisher could come and visit for awhile. He could clean up most of Gotham oh, in about a week starting with Arkham.

Shouldn't that be "in about a week starting with _his escape from_ Arkham"?

Frankly there are enough psycho-killers in Gotham that the presence of one more wouldn't make the slightest difference.

-----

Mark has just pointed out that this isn't really Gotham City, but is his own universe's version of it, so the real answer is that we have no idea.

I really can't see why he bothered asking - none of us are telepaths, as far as I am aware.

In other words, I'm a little annoyed that he wasted our time like this.

Just a hint, Mark: when people see terms like "Batman" and "Gotham City" they expect them to mean "Batman" and "Gotham City", not "Markrand Lad" and "Markrand City".

At least with the Punisher, the extra psychopath is after all the other psychopaths, and not the innocent civilians.

--

If you read some of the older threads, Mark likes to make all sorts of changes and mash all sorts of things together. He as a Gotham with bits of Champions Universe, elements from Buffy TVS, and who knows what else, tossed in the pot.

Originally posted by Kristopher

At least with the Punisher, the extra psychopath is after all the other psychopaths, and not the innocent civilians.

--

If you read some of the older threads, Mark likes to make all sorts of changes and mash all sorts of things together. He as a Gotham with bits of Champions Universe, elements from Buffy TVS, and who knows what else, tossed in the pot.

There have been other psycho-vigilantes in Gotham over the years. Usually Batman stomps them.

Apparently he has a problem with people littering the streets with corpses - particularly of relative innocents.

---

I generally avoid Mark's threads because of this, but I slipped up in this case.

I'm just not interested in the intricate details of his universe.

I'm also not impressed by GMs who are too lazy to file off the serial numbers from the bits they steal from other sources. I'm even less impressed when players don't do it either. Many years ago I played with a guy who was playing a character based on Rogue, from the X-Men. Sure enough, he called her "Rogue". I was appalled. I still am.