5th Edition Binding

SullenSandman

I am going to purchase the 5th edition rule book. I understand that it only comes bound hard cover. My first champion's book was hard cover, you know the big blue 4th edition one. The pages fell out of the binding. Will this happen to my 5th edition book or is it a better binding job? I would like to know if i have to baby my 5th edition book when I get it.

Originally posted by Trebuchet

I'll second what Monolith said. The Fifth Edition binding is 1000% better than that crappy Fourth Edition stuff. (My 4e fell apart too, and has resided in a 3-ring binder for the past 12 years.) Have no fears on that score.

Mine too :)

Worry not; FRED is made of Questionite. Not only is it extremely durable it is also freakishly light. :D

I'll mostly echo what everyone else has said on this matter.

I went through two copies of the BBB; the first totally disintegrated after about four months, and the second started to lose pages almost before I got it home.

By contrast, I got one of the first copies of FREd off the presses, and it's practicaly in perfect shape. Some of the paper has worn off the bottom edges of the cover, but that's about it.

I'm thinking about getting a second copy, and having the tires on my car retreaded with it. ;)

Back in the old days of gaming we had to walk uphill both ways in a driving ice storm over broken glass in bare feet to get a paperback bound edition of champions held together with staples.

5th edition is a monilith of binding goodness. Mine is holding up very well. and I did destroy an early copy of 4th edition.

Buy two copies of 5th edition though, it will make Steve happy!

Originally posted by Herolover

This is one of the flaws in the DOJ business thinking.

By making the 5e binding so good they have limited the repeat buys necessary to play the game.

tsk, tsk tsk....

Actually the paper is explosive and will self destruct in five years when the next edition will be ready. :)

Re: 5E binding

Originally posted by Spence

I bought my copy via the internet as soon as they could be bought. It has since followed me oversea's through several countries and survived an extended cruise on board one of the Navy's finest warships. So far the binding is as good as new.

Overseas is the FIRST place my book went, I got it right before a vacation. However, on that vacation, I did damage it; I put it behind a door as a door-stop, but I let the door swing shut rapidly by accident. It crunched the very top a tad, nothing serious, though.

Originally posted by Southern Cross

It's certainly true that FREd is far better bound than the BBB,but I have to point out that Champions:New MIllenium had an even worse binding than the BBB,as my copy of that book is in a far worse state than my copy of the 1st Edition of the BBB.

Yeah, the first edition of that did royally suck. The little mini-comic nearly fell out the first opening of that gem.