Foriegn Captain America's

Crusader108

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please "Pol Rua", it's early saturday morning here in Sydney and I don't think that I am ready to contemplate the "super Blackhawks" at this point! Although it does remind me of the time that D C had the "Challengers Of The Unknown" with super powers (mostly gadgets , I think I can remember a jet pack/flight suit and a chest mounted energy weapon among their devices, but it's a while since i read that issue), fortunately that idea was rather short lived.

I was having a hard time remembering whether it was Redback or Red-stripe, but Then I remembered redstripe was a Jamaican beer, not an Australian one.

If only I could afford to vacation in Perth and Sydney/Hunter river valley Yearly!

Originally posted by assault

Flying Fox is a good name, and I've used it in the past. I was really annoyed when DC used it for one of the Young All-Stars back in the '80s. On the other hand, that series is so obscure that I might just go ahead and use it again. Thanks for reminding me of it.

As for the animals themselves - yes, you are weird for thinking they are cute! :)

As an aside, you can actually catch a rather interesting disease (Lyssavirus) from them.

Actually, Redback is quite a good name, too, IMHO.(It is one word, incidentally.) I use it. Redbacks look quite a bit like Black Widows, but are more poisonous. I dextrously avoided one at work today, when I had to go rummaging about in a junk storage area.

There are a number of other interesting beasties you can use - CU has Taipan, which is pretty good.

Alan

Originally posted by st barbara

Please "Pol Rua", it's early saturday morning here in Sydney and I don't think that I am ready to contemplate the "super Blackhawks" at this point! Although it does remind me of the time that D C had the "Challengers Of The Unknown" with super powers (mostly gadgets , I think I can remember a jet pack/flight suit and a chest mounted energy weapon among their devices, but it's a while since i read that issue), fortunately that idea was rather short lived.

Challengers of the Unknown with powers? Didn't they call them the Fantastic Four?!?! :D

Speaking of the Blackhawks, did anyone catch the animated Justice League series when they time-traveled back to WWII and were rescued by the Blackhawks? There they were strictly awesome aviators.

As for superhero ideas in other countries -- don't forget literary heroes:

Three Musketeers (France)

the Scarlet Pimpernel (Britain)

Beowulf (Denmark, Scandavia)

I could go on and on -- if I could remember more.

And of course, don't forget mythology.

• 4 weeks later...

When I convert comic book heros into champs I like to change them so I can make them mine...So I turned Cap into japans WW2 national hero: Onimusha with a magical "red buckler" hero used shinto magic instead of a "super serum"...I have a freind who is a rugby fanatic so I plan to convert sunspot from the x-men to be "All black" the NZ national hero...hey stop throwing things!

Being a Canadian, I'll post a few tongue-in-cheek ideas. I doubt anyone but Canadians will get them, but hey ;)

Please excuse any horrible french, it has been some time since I've used it.

Sovereignty and le Seperatiste

Unity and Diversity - "For Peace, Order and Good Government!"

"Icons"

(From B.C.) Afghaan Dream, Cali Miss, Electric Haze, and Fast Freddie

(From NFld) The Rock, Toutans (Spelling?)

(From Ontario) Clawbacks, Cutbacks

(Manitoba) Brandon Man! "At The Center Of It All!"

Japan has their two main heroes

Ultraman and Kamen Rider. Their Superman and Batman, so to speak.

Their Captain America wouldn't be represented by one person, it would be represented by three/four/five/six. A multi color battle team. Samurai Troopers Sei Rne Ha(Ronin Warriors) would be the best example bacause of the attributes they represnt.

However they do have a Captain Tokyo

• 1 year later...

Re: Foriegn Captain America's

I always tried to look at the native comics for inspiration:

* Canadian Shield (Canada)

* Super Rey (Mexico) [Mexico has no real super tradition, but they have Lucha Libre as a great inpriration]

* The Octobrist (Russia/USSR)

* Saint George (England)

* John Flag (UK-Flag Suit)

* LeSabre (France-Flag Suit)

* Tetsuronin-Go (Japan)

* Southern Cross (Australia)

* The Monkey King (China)

I admit most of them are merely extrapolations from ideas I've seen. Each country has a defining nationalism, buit that nationalism is hard to define when you are not a member of that nation. I tried to steer clear of stereotypes and to try and capture that national flavor (as I understood it).

In the case of LeSabre for example, he began (jokingly) as Le Capitaine Gallios. The NPC got fed up with the French attempt at creating an "Image" and changed his name and his gimmick, looking more like a swashbuckler and calling himself LeSabre

Mogen David {Shield of david, also used as shield of Israel} (Israel)

Sabra {Native born in Israel, like Cap being called American} (Israel)

Re: Foriegn Captain America's

Well, I have to bite at this one - and recalled a past real EU 'Superpower Summit'...

UK: London Pryde (my own flagsuit type)

Rep. Ireland: Pouka (liberally swiped from GURPS IST)

Italy: Romulus and Remus (not great, I agree, but their powers - and weaknesses - were pivotal to the story)

Germany: Jedermann ('Everyman', a kind of psychic chameleon)

France: Liberte (telepath, Resistance heroine and the grande dame of European metaherodom)

Netherlands: Black Tulip (superspy)

Spain: Conquistador (powered armour)

Denmark: Thumbelina (size reduction)

Belgium: Atomium (transmuter like Element Lad of the LSH; after that godawful statue in Brussels)

Portugal: the Navigator (teleporter / psychometric powers; after Prince Henry of Portugal)

Greece: Heraklitea (brick type - descendant and inheritor of Herakles)

I'd like to have used the White Eagle (Poland) but I could never come up with a good enough excuse...