Firefly

Spence

Re: Firefly

SciFi has been playing Firefly before Stargate on Fridays. Have they gotten the TV rights from Fox or are they limited to just reruns? I think they're playing them in the right order' date=' but I never saw the whole series to begin with, so I'm not sure.[/quote']

I'm a huge Firefly fan and rabid Browncoat. SciFi is playing the episodes in the right order AND they are playing ALL of the ones from the DVD boxed set including the episodes that did not air when the series first ran.

It's funny. The only reason I got into Firefly was because of my current Star Hero campaign. In my game there is a strong Chinese flair based on historical events. One of my player said it reminded them of Firefly. He loaned me the boxed set and I was hooked. Really great stuff...

Take care! :D

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:nonp:

'Cause god forbid you should question society's messed-up views about sexuality.

Sorry. That came out snarkier than I intended. Basically, I've always thought it was weird that we base our morality on what some people who fled England 400 years ago 'cause it wasn't prudish enough thought. And, while I'd never choose the profession for myself or any female I know, I think the current attitudes toward it have to change.

IIRC most of the serious prudishness came about in the Late 1800s, the Victorian era. Prior to that it wasn't as bizarre, but in that period it was determined that the legs of FURNITURE were too "stimulating" to be uncovered. :eek:

I'm a huge Firefly fan and rabid Browncoat. SciFi is playing the episodes in the right order AND they are playing ALL of the ones from the DVD boxed set including the episodes that did not air when the series first ran.

Yes, that was one of the big draws to the reruns for me. I despise Fox for what they did to this great series.

As for the unaired episodes, I was watching the DVD set and loaded in one of those episodes... and realized that I had, in fact, already seen it. At least one of the "unaired episodes" is mislabelled as such.

SciFi has been playing Firefly before Stargate on Fridays. Have they gotten the TV rights from Fox or are they limited to just reruns?

To the best of my knowledge, SciFi only has syndication rites; Fox still owns the original rights to the show. (The new Serenity RPG, as I understand it, only contains material from the movie, not the show, because they didn't want to have to get approval from both Universal AND Fox in prder to print anything.)

So don't expect new episodes any time soon. :(

bigdamnhero

Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death, but at least there is symmetry."

IIRC most of the serious prudishness came about in the Late 1800s' date=' the Victorian era. Prior to that it wasn't as bizarre, but in that period it was determined that the legs of FURNITURE were too "stimulating" to be uncovered. :eek:[/quote']

The Puritans were also pretty...well, I guess puritanical is the word I'm looking for. ;) There's one story of a woman who kissed her husband on the front porch as he was returning home from a year at sea, and was stoned to death for the affront. Even if that specific story may be apocryphal (I've heard the story repeated a bunch, but haven't properly researched it), it's not very far out from Puritan attitudes in general. "Left England...'cause it wasn't prudish enough" is a pretty accurate description.

bigdamnhero

You must be like wolf pack, not six-pack."

..snip... (The new Serenity RPG' date=' as I understand it, only contains material from the movie, not the show, because they didn't want to have to get approval from both Universal AND Fox in prder to print anything.)..snip[/quote']

according to stuff i've read on the browncoats forum the RPG will mention events and characters from the show, it just won't identify them as being from the TV show.

if i'm remembering right this is from Jaime Chambers.

according to stuff i've read on the browncoats forum the RPG will mention events and characters from the show' date=' it just won't identify them as being from the TV show.[/quote']

Sounds about right. I'm (hopefully) playing in a demo game this Thursday, so I'll let y'all know.

bigdamnhero

"What the hell are we supposed to use, man? Harsh language?"

One of my friends at work has a copy of the Serenity game. He says that it gives a pretty good background of the setting, all the way from original colonization up to the 'present'. Has anyone else seen it? This seems like it would be a great resource for conversion to Hero.

One of my friends at work has a copy of the Serenity game. He says that it gives a pretty good background of the setting' date=' all the way from original colonization up to the 'present'. Has anyone else seen it? This seems like it would be a great resource for conversion to Hero.[/quote']

I intend to work on some conversions as soon as I can get a copy. Why else would you buy a non-Hero System book:confused: :D

So weird seeing her in Stargate Atlantis.

Apparently she thought it was pretty weird, too . . .

She remarked on it during the first panel during Dragon*con. Said when she got the script, it said something like, "Part may require some prosthetics." Then she got into the makeup chair . . .

Actually, all of the panels were pretty informative. Apparently, if they do well enough with the first movie and it has a strong opening weekend, they'll make 2 more movies. So even if you've already seen it, go see it opening weekend. I understand it's gone through a little extra post-production, anyway, so it won't even be the exact same movie as the one they were showing at screenings.

I'm (hopefully) playing in a demo game this Thursday' date=' so I'll let y'all know. [/quote']

Missed the Serenity demo game Thursday. :( Had to bail to finish prepping the games I was running on Friday. The folks I talked to who did make it said the game mechanics were weak, but great source material. Which is exactly what I'm looking for.

bigdamnhero

"...and that’s when I shot him, your honor."

from the browncoats forum from jaime chambers

it's not the official game website, but it's something

http://www.margaretweis.com/new/news/index.php

and here's a fan set-up yahoo group

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/serenityrpg/

edit: the yahoo group doesn't require a moderator's approval to join...just sign up. not much there right now though.

I debated whether to post this here or in the Gaming Quote of the Day thread, but this one won out...

The game I'm currently running, Harn setting, Harnmaster rules (boo! hiss! burn the heretic! [okay, now that that's past]).

The party thief has been approached by another thief who is trying to make the party thief turn against his employer. After the whole exchange is over, another player (out of character) asks me: "Were you deliberately imitating Badger from Firefly?"

Me: "Yes".