Firefly

Spence

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Firefly

I picked mine up from DragonCon a couple weeks back. its shiny.

the system is pretty good from a rules light design goal. its like the antithesis of star hero and designed that way (not that they mentioned star hero.)

for instance, when asked about why they did not include planetary masses, the authors responded "wha??... are you planning on lifting it?" Another quote was "ships travel between worlds at the speed of plot." in response to why no detailed star maps with precision distances and times for travel. When challenged about bell curves and probabilities, the response was "you roll attribute and skill and higher is better? What more do you need?"

the lack of a character sheet seems to strike some people badly, some downright angered to the point of ferocity!

To me its fine cuz i never use the ones in the books.

My firefly game is scheduled for january startup, after my current campaigns end in november and the holidays are done.

So who has the SERENITY RPG yet?

I picked up (the last) copy yesterday from my gamestore, but I don't foresee any spare moments to read it in the near future.

Anyone fooled with the system? Or are you all gonna just port directly to StarHero?

Thanks to the local Philippine Fanbase, we were able to watch the advanced screening of Serenity last Tuesday.

It rocks! It answers a LOT of questions in the way that a Joss Whedon season ender would; it also puts you on the edge of your seat. Humor and SFX enough add to character, make you go wow, and advance the plot all around.

Everybody gets some great lines...

... when's the next film then?

Another quote was "ships travel between worlds at the speed of plot." in response to why no detailed star maps with precision distances and times for travel.

:rofl: I think that line originally comes from Rodenberry or one of his Trek successors, but it still cracks me up. As a writer (unpublished so far) I think that answer makes perfect sense, and it certainly matches the feel of the show.

But as a gamer, I like to have a little more detail so the players understand WHY they can/can't get to Persephone in time. Especially since I tend to game with a lot of engineers who want hard answers to things (especially in sci-fi, as opposed to fantasy or supers) and don't like being told "because I said so, that's why."

Different strokes, folks, etc. Personally, I think Star Hero goes a little overboard in some areas. But that's the beauty of it - just cuz the details are there doesn't mean you have to use them. :D

Thanks for the review - I definitely plan to buy the first copy I see, `tho probably just for source material.

bigdamnhero

"If people see you are unarmed, they'll never hurt you...nine times out of ten."

Aaaauugh!

For the first time ever (in something like 15 years) my FLGS has let me down.

I was unable to visit my FLGS this week until today. When I arrived I asked if they had gotten in the Serenity RPG yet? I had heard that it had arrived.

"Yep, its been here and gone.":nonp:

"Oh, okay you pulled my copy, right?":confused:

"I'm sorry, were you wanting a copy? We sold the last one yesterday."

"Aaaaugh!":eek:

For the first time ever they had missed something on my pull list. They are really a great bunch and will hop through hoops to help you get anything you are looking for, there was just an error this time. They have immediately placed another order and hope to have a copy for me by Wednesday.

I was kind of hoping to do a little conversion work this weekend too.:weep:

Well, at least if they are going to fumble it was with a non-Hero product.

A friend lent me his DVD collection of Firefly. It's like watching live-action COWBOY BEBOP. I keep expecting Spike and the rest to wander by in the background. Sure wouldn't suprise me any. Pity Fox yanked it.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who reacted to Firefly with this sentiment.

I just got back from watching the movie.

I'm going to see it again tomorrow.

This also reminds me of a very old comic book called Fusion. Fusion was primarily illustrated by Lela Dowling, but various other artists, including Phil Foglio did guest issues, too. Fantastic book, IMO.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who reacted to Firefly with this sentiment.

This also reminds me of a very old comic book called Fusion. Fusion was primarily illustrated by Lela Dowling, but various other artists, including Phil Foglio did guest issues, too. Fantastic book, IMO.

We have a movie discussion thread in the NGD right now.

Heh... I own Fusion. All the issues. Although... they are now in my pile of things to sell.

But as a gamer, I like to have a little more detail so the players understand WHY they can/can't get to Persephone in time. Especially since I tend to game with a lot of engineers who want hard answers to things (especially in sci-fi, as opposed to fantasy or supers) and don't like being told "because I said so, that's why."

For me it wouldn't be "because i said so" but also wouldn't need hard defined astrophysics either.

If i were gonna script a "too long to get there" scenario, it would be more likely to hinge on getting to a place already defined as "too far" by previous timing sequences or to a place so far undetermined, so i don't really need an excuse.

If i did decide to make it to one they have reason to expect, from previous episodes, is within travel time, then there are a multitude of reasons, even some in show, for a longer trip now. Examples include:

Wanting to avoid alliance ships makes it take a long time.

Alliance ships "on maneuvers" have restricted access and you HAVE TO "go around".

Alliance has setup an "amber alert" beacon for reasons unknown and they are very active so sneaking thru is dubious and too slow.

Ship damage or low fuel status means you cannot make normal good speed.

etc...

Most of these could be placed on the mantle and shown ahead of time, before a time question comes up abd becomes a plot issue. others could be surprises like a pirate raid which causes some damage or just a broken part on an old ship after a few days at top burn (tho even that can be foreshadowed too.)

So it boils down to being able to provide good story reasons for "why not this time" without needing the astrophysics of celestial bodies and orbits.

Which is , for me, much more interesting than the latter.

• 2 months later...

So... Are there any Firefly conversions?

I'm wondering if I can somehow model the Ganna system in my Star Hero Depths of Space camapaign off of the area depicted in Firefly...

It would take some doing, but may be worth it...

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsmovie/moviechar.html#firefly

Incomplete. Not sure if the original writer will finish them.

Thanks, Mike.

Were these done by someone that started their own website, or something? Would you have used 100/+100 disads as they did?

Any weapon conversions?

Yes, created by someone else.

I would have.... not sure. Depends on what totals I would have come up with. Off the top of my head, several members of Firefly are "big damn heroes" and are 100 point base (since they are around 200 points total).

• 3 months later...

I looked at that site susano. You need to get in there and do some of your writeups.

I looked at his Mal and snorted. Mal a 11 Body??? Huh? Did he not see the massive amounts of punishment Mal has taken and lived? Or well died and been resurrected from? (War Stories)

Maybe the Hawksmoor will Star Hero the crew of the Serenity.

Hawksmoor

I looked at that site susano. You need to get in there and do some of your writeups.

I looked at his Mal and snorted. Mal a 11 Body??? Huh? Did he not see the massive amounts of punishment Mal has taken and lived? Or well died and been resurrected from? (War Stories)

Maybe the Hawksmoor will Star Hero the crew of the Serenity.

Some day, perhaps. Right now, I have a lot on my plate.

I dunno, with his STUN, CON and PD being where they are, it makes a certain amount of sense for him to have only 11 BODY. When he was being tortured, remember, most of that's STUN damage, and whathisname was going slowly enough to allow him to recover almost fully in-between.

So those stats look about right, to me.

But he gives Zoe and Jayne a 14. This seems a bit off. If anything, Zoe is never shown onscreen to be very durable, and Jayne seems to have a Disad (or is it a merit (Flesh Wound -All Body damage is applied to the legs)).

In War Stories in particular we see Mal beaten and electrocuted, In Out of Gas he is shot, in Ariel he is run through with a sword. Not to mention the severe beating he took from the Operative in Serenity (movie) (remember he can barely walk and is about to collapse like the rest of the Serenity crew. To me this is not Stun damage. He takes a licking and keeps on ticking. That is Body at work.

I'd give him a Body in the 16-18 range, plus a 16-18 Ego. Mal is just unbreakable.

Hawksmoor

Jayne's "Only to Legs" ability seems to only apply when he is on the job. When he is just sitting around enjoying a nice meal' date=' well, he gets sliced in the chest.[/quote']

But only if he's wearing a Blue Sun t-shirt.

But he gives Zoe and Jayne a 14. This seems a bit off. If anything, Zoe is never shown onscreen to be very durable, and Jayne seems to have a Disad (or is it a merit (Flesh Wound -All Body damage is applied to the legs)).

In War Stories in particular we see Mal beaten and electrocuted, In Out of Gas he is shot, in Ariel he is run through with a sword. Not to mention the severe beating he took from the Operative in Serenity (movie) (remember he can barely walk and is about to collapse like the rest of the Serenity crew. To me this is not Stun damage. He takes a licking and keeps on ticking. That is Body at work.

I'd give him a Body in the 16-18 range, plus a 16-18 Ego. Mal is just unbreakable.

Hawksmoor

Okay, you're right. 16 - 18 does make more sense, now that you mention it.