Superhero Images

schir1964

Re: Superhero Images

That is a heck of a picture! Who made it? How can I see more from this artist? Or is it form a comic book?

Thanks. I was very happy with the way it turned out too. And thanks, Doc Itron for reposting the link to Ian's site. I put the link in my original post, but of course since I screwed it all up so bad, the post fell well behind the actual pic view. Sorry about all that.

Scroll back onto the previous page to my original post and attempt to show you all the pic. There you can read the descriptions I wrote for each character.

:(

RL

The Immortals

This is another piece Ian did for me featuring the new incarnation of the Immortals. Some of you might remember my "One May Live!" thread from awhile back. In it, I explained how, in my home-brew campaign world, I was killing the Immortals as part of an metaplotline. Well, in the aftermath, the group was destined to return. And here's the new lineup.

And here's the link to see the picture of the new Immortals.

Vanguard. He was pulled out of time from the past, from late in World War 2. He stands for liberty and justice. He's a very patriotic American. Unknowingly, he proved his humanistic qualities qualities to an enlightened Eastern mystic who rewarded him by teaching him clarity of mind and willpower. Through sheer will, Vanguard can make himself stronger or faster or more agile. He's gone through several changes in personality and method since arriving in the present a dozen years ago, but his character has always remained true to form. After the Immortals' devastation at the hands of Mutiny and Novus Ordum, Vanguard took it upon himself to rebuild the legendary group. He is recognized as its very capable leader. (Yes, he's very very Captain America. And the Immortals are essentially the Avengers of my world. Vanguard was a personal character of mine back when I actually got to play Champions instead of being the one to always run it.)

Lady Hex. She's a sorcerer whose abilities and spells revolve around chance, fate, and luck. She's the granddaughter of the Golden Age heroine Lady Liberty. She's been close personal friends with Vanguard for several years now and was the first person he considered for rebuilding the Immortals.

Apollo. Apollo's tale is a convoluted one. Apollo was created by the Alchemist, Doctor Hephaestus, but not as Apollo. He was Gold, one of the team of heroes created by Hephaestus known as the Golems. They were based out of San Francisco. Recently, the Golden Age hero (and the first sentient robot ever created) Clockwork went mad after decades of misuse, and under a villainous pseudonym, threatened all of the San Francisco Bay area. In the end, Clockwork realized what he was doing but to stop the destruction, his mind and essence had to merge with Gold. Gold sacrificed his own personality and "life" to allow this. Afterward, Clockwork/Gold became reborn as Apollo and moved to New York City. There, he became friends with Vanguard who was asked by the courts to keep an eye on him. Apollo has the powers that Gold had (fire manipulation) combined with Clockwork's intelligence and reasoning. He was an obvious choice for the Immortals.

Victor. A consumate hero. He is widely regarded as one of the strongest people on Earth. He has a heart of gold and there's nothing he wouldn't do to help someone. He claims to draw strength and power through following a 12-point code of honor. At times he can be a tad too zealous when discussing his lifestyle. But his intentions are good and his addition to the team only strengthens it. He loves the physical challenges and is usually the first member to wade into the fray. He is also widely looked upon as the team's moral and philosophical backbone.

Animus and Anima. Two heroes that occupy the same body, they are constantly switching forms back and forth depending on who is needed most. Animus is the female form. She's a tough girl, and although she's not as strong as Victor, she does utilize great strength and stamina. Anima is the male form of the two. He is a much less physical person and has the power of emotion manipulation. In either form, they can fly. They can be a confusing set for the others, but they work well in tactical situations.

Aurora. Not all of the previous Immortals died in that catastrophic attack. In fact, two lived. Recurve survived the battle, but was permanently paralyzed from it and has retired from the super-biz. Half-Life was attacked by Doctor Hephaestus and Insecta and was thought to have been killed by them. Half-Life was a complex being made of two energies: an energy being alien to our solar system, and the guiding mental energies leftover from when Champion, the world's first and greatest metahuman, sacrificed himself to save the world at the end of World War 2. Half-Life was dispersed in the onslaught and it took some time to reintegrate. When he did finally pull himself back together, he was without Champion and the alien being was revealed to be feminine in form. She renamed herself Aurora and asked to be on the team. Vanguard readily accepted.

With the repairs of the mansion in progress, a new team of Immortals emerges to continue the legacy...

Whacha think?

RL

Great characters Richard. Very, very "Avengersish", but still original. A blend of golden age, villains gone good, and surviving Immortals. I like the character pic, as well; both Ian's artwork and the costume designs (which I'm assuming are yours?). Very nice team. Would it be possible to see the char sheets on the team, or are they an ancient family secret? :)

Thanks, folks! I appreciate it. Yes, the characters and their costume designs were mine with the exception of Animus/Anima. I really had no clue how they should look other than the point that they "share" clothing so it should be neither to feminine nor too masculine. I think Ian did a pretty good job coming up with what she's wearing.

Their stats are not a family secret and I'd be happy to show them to you.. if they existed. Generally, I'll come up with character concepts to flesh out the world so the PC's don't feel like they're living in a void. But I usually don't stat the background characters until I need them to be. That way I retain a certain amount of flexibility. The only one of the Immortals group that's been done is my own character Vanguard. And I believe its still a work in progress. However, I'll attach it.

There are a lot of homage type characters and groups in my world. I figure if they work in the real comics, why not translate them into the game campaign. Besides, its extremely difficult to have a truly unique concept anymore.

With the Immortals, I knew I wanted them to be "the Avengers of my world." So i built them with that in mind. The thing is, I had already created my world's primary villain team Novus Ordum. And I had constructed Novus Ordum with the idea of antithetical Avenger concepts. I didnt want to repeat the character ideas (although I ended up having to with Captain America). At the same time I had a sense of needed cohesion. Novus Ordum were "evil" versions of the Avengers between issues 4 and 15 (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Henry Pym, and Wasp).

I already knew I wanted Vanguard (Captain America), Lady Hex (Scarlet Witch), and Apollo (Vision) on the team. So with that in mind, I did some research. I needed to find the Avengers team instances where Cap, Witch, and Vision were on the team, but where Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, and Henry Pym were not on the team. There's a grand total of three consecutive issues throughout the entire (original) Avengers series: 252, 253, and 254. The other Avengers that made the team then were Hercules, Starfox, and Captain Marvel. And that's when I created Victor, Anima/Animus, and Aurora. With Aurora it worked out nicely that I could save Half-Life from a horrible fate with just a couple minor changes.

Captain America was easy. I had Cap in mind when I originally created the character 12 years ago for a campaign a friend of mine ran. Making Lady Hex out of Scarlet Witch was also pretty easy. Apollo came together almost by accident but fit well as the Vision concept. There are many parallels between him and Vision.

Victor from Hercules wasn't too bad. I focused on the Herculean myths of the 12 tasks he had to do. In Victor's case, its a 12-point code he refers to as "the Trials" that gives him his strength. Turning Captain Marvel into Aurora was easy. Cap M's powers are all light based. Aurora is a being of light-based energy. Starfox was the hardest one. I didn't want to just copy him. That would defeat the purpose. So I looked at him objectively and came up with the idea that he's really two different people. He's got the emotion control powers, but, like all of his people, he's basically a brick as well. So I settled on the two-character concept.

Is this standard for you other GM's, or did I just find myself with too much time?

:)

RL

Guest bblackmoor

And this one's called Hope:

REMOTE LINKING FORBIDDEN

"Remote linking forbidden". Feel free to post your images on RPG Library. I don't have a problem with remote linking. (I request that you post any accompanying text there that you post here, but that's just a request. It's not a requirement.)

Guest bblackmoor

Huh ... that's weird ... I have no problem viewing them

Look at Hope and Abdalrahman. Perhaps the "remote linking forbidden" thing doesn't kick in until the image gets hit a few times, so the older images get it first. I'm just guessing.

edit: Now the rest of the images are blocked, too. That didn't take long.

Drawn at lunch. The coloring and the text...well... let's just say no one was looking ;)

This is RUSH, from the Great White North. (No, not THAT Rush).

Click on it to read (most of) the fictional article.

rush03.jpg

So where's the rest of the article? ;)

So where's the rest of the article? ;)

It says Continued on Page 64, so you'll have to pick it up at your local newsstand ;)

(Actually I *want*, but likely won't have time, to do 4 more pics, like a Maxim article. One in full super outfit, one as a face closeup, and a kind of sexy civilian clothes one, maybe one with just strategically placed medals)

Funny that I come up with these projects when I have no need for more characters in my games.