Superhero Images

schir1964

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Superhero Images

Here are some heros who operate Down Under.

[ATTACH]21568[/ATTACH] This is Moonraker. Her heritage is half Human, half Questoran (an immortal super race in my campaign). She has FTL flight, super strength, invulnerability, various EB's, and more. She has also inherited the same weakness to sonic attacks.

[ATTACH]21569[/ATTACH] This is Firebolt. He, along with an agent named named Lyrebird (image to be shown later) is on the run from a sinister organization that wants to use mutants like himself for nefarious purposes.

His body generates intense heat and requires a special suit to to contain his energies.

[ATTACH]21570[/ATTACH] This is Dust Devil. She is a happy-go-lucky aboriginal teenager with super speed that works as a scout in the Outback along with her bickering friends and mentors Rockhead and Ironhead (again, images to be shown later) as well as the calming influence between the two.

Hmmm... why is my red phone lighting up? (8^D)

Although I do have other priorities demanding my time. I will see what I can do within this week.

Also, I still haven't forgotten about the other artwork I was still trying to finish up.

- Christopher Mullins

Wow, that worked better than a Bat-Signal. I don't know any of the color schemes; you'll have to wait for 'Hawk to check back in. I just thought I'd try and get things rolling. I just love seeing (and borrowing) the work that you guys do.

Not to be the bad guy, but both versions lack depth. When you put together a pic like this you have to be aware of some of the most basic design principles.

Try, for example, Proximity (the relationship one object has with another and how to locate those objects in a composition) - Why is the sun where it is? Are you bound by the paper? If so, perhaps rethink its location.

Or, maybe, Balance (the arrangement of elements on a page) - Are you happy with the triangle you've created with the planet, its moon and the star? Perhaps this composition needs a bit of asymmetry to make it more interesting.

You must also remember that the character that you will eventually place into this scene isn't a separate part of the composition. Your character study should have been part of your original sketch in order to observe its relationship with the rest of the composition's elements (including the shapes created by the black/star-filled negative space).

It's good work... just decide where things fit best and build them together. If you want the moon to reside behind the planet, make that decision and use Color or Contrast of size to make it work.

Keep up the good work and remember the basics.

(Sorry, went into teacher mode there for a second)

Not to be the bad guy' date=' but both versions lack depth. When you put together a pic like this you have to be aware of some of the most basic design principles.[/quote']

Design principles?... I'm just the colorist, not the artist.

Perhaps you missed the post where the original is displayed in grayscale.

The images I have presented here are only the background elements of the picture.

The picture is of a Heroine that is dead center.

Try' date=' for example, Proximity (the relationship one object has with another and how to locate those objects in a composition) - Why is the sun where it is? Are you bound by the paper? If so, perhaps rethink its location.[/quote']

You'll have to direct these questions to Werehawk, the artist of the picture.

So I am bound by the locations and sizes since I do not feel I have the authority to make drastic changes to the composition without the author's permission.

I have made minor and slight changes in the past, but only as possible renditions that the author must approve of.

Or' date=' maybe, Balance (the arrangement of elements on a page) - Are you happy with the triangle you've created with the planet, its moon and the star? Perhaps this composition needs a bit of asymmetry to make it more interesting.[/quote']

Again, I'm only colorizing the picture. I could start moving things around, but I'm not going to unless Werehawk says it is ok to do so.

You must also remember that the character that you will eventually place into this scene isn't a separate part of the composition. Your character study should have been part of your original sketch in order to observe its relationship with the rest of the composition's elements (including the shapes created by the black/star-filled negative space).

???

It's good work... just decide where things fit best and build them together. If you want the moon to reside behind the planet' date=' make that decision and use Color or Contrast of size to make it work.[/quote']

The colors I've presented are simply guesses, since Werehawk hasn't provided a color scheme for his picture yet. I'm just throwing out possible ideas of and seeing who likes the color scheme and who doesn't. Werehawk is the final arbiter of what the actual colors will be.

Keep up the good work and remember the basics.

What basics? (8^D)

I'm just a guy who is adding color to a grayscale picture. I haven't had a single lesson in anything relating to drawing or artwork or even website design. (8^D)

(Sorry' date=' went into teacher mode there for a second)[/quote']

Unfortunately, it doesn't do any good unless the pupil knows what you are talking about. (8^D)

We'll see how things progress.

Any suggestions on color schemes?

- Christopher Mullins

It depends on if it is Earth or not I suppose. Either works fine' date=' I would make the sun more white and add a lens flare though to give it a smidge more character.[/quote']

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I've already made the sun whiter and will see if you think it is enough on the next rendition I post.

- Christopher Mullins

Design principles?... I'm just the colorist, not the artist.

Perhaps you missed the post where the original is displayed in grayscale.

The images I have presented here are only the background elements of the picture.

The picture is of a Heroine that is dead center.

You'll have to direct these questions to Werehawk, the artist of the picture.

So I am bound by the locations and sizes since I do not feel I have the authority to make drastic changes to the composition without the author's permission.

I have made minor and slight changes in the past, but only as possible renditions that the author must approve of.

Again, I'm only colorizing the picture. I could start moving things around, but I'm not going to unless Werehawk says it is ok to do so.

???

The colors I've presented are simply guesses, since Werehawk hasn't provided a color scheme for his picture yet. I'm just throwing out possible ideas of and seeing who likes the color scheme and who doesn't. Werehawk is the final arbiter of what the actual colors will be.

What basics? (8^D)

I'm just a guy who is adding color to a grayscale picture. I haven't had a single lesson in anything relating to drawing or artwork or even website design. (8^D)

Unfortunately, it doesn't do any good unless the pupil knows what you are talking about. (8^D)

We'll see how things progress.

Any suggestions on color schemes?

- Christopher Mullins

OOops.. :o

I just came in at the end of the discussion and opened your color work. I just assumed... and you know what they say about that word.

However, even a modest colorist should know the basic design principles. A good colorist can do to make an average picture look great. Check out this site: http://www.comiccolors.com/index1.html

OOops.. :o

I just came in at the end of the discussion and opened your color work. I just assumed... and you know what they say about that word.

However, even a modest colorist should know the basic design principles. A good colorist can do to make an average picture look great. Check out this site: http://www.comiccolors.com/index1.html

That's okay. Pretty much what I figured.

I checked out the website, but didn't find much that was useful to me.

There were two articles that I was really interested in reading but I got a 404 error message on them.

I also looked at some samples of coloring from the Amateur section. If that is the kind of quality you are expecting from me then you will be sorely dissappointed. I volunteer to colorize artwork here since it is a nice distraction that doesn't take too much time on my part and find it enjoyable to do from time to time.

But thanks for the link, it was interesting to read some of the techniques used even if they are impractical for what I do.

- Christopher Mullins

Opinion Poll

Which looks better?

Any ideas for color changes?

Moonraker Background

Go with the first one. She is hovering above Earth.

As for Moonraker. She wears a white outfit with forrest green gloves,boots,mask,cape,inner "V" collar, and leg strips trimmed with "USC" gold as well as the belt,forehead piece,outer"V", and shoulder pads. She is a golden blonde.

Dust Devil wears a tan outfit with brown gloves,boots, and "v" on the chest. Her collar is yellow and black and her belt is maroon with a silver buckle.

Moonraker (Draft 1)

Artist: Werehawk

Colorist: Christopher Mullins

Werehawk, I'm sure I don't have everything correct. What needs to be changed. Also, what is the date that you signed on this piece? I'm having difficulty reading it.

That's okay. Pretty much what I figured.

I checked out the website, but didn't find much that was useful to me.

There were two articles that I was really interested in reading but I got a 404 error message on them.

I also looked at some samples of coloring from the Amateur section. If that is the kind of quality you are expecting from me then you will be sorely dissappointed. I volunteer to colorize artwork here since it is a nice distraction that doesn't take too much time on my part and find it enjoyable to do from time to time.

But thanks for the link, it was interesting to read some of the techniques used even if they are impractical for what I do.

- Christopher Mullins

Sorry again. I had no idea you were such an accomplished colorist. Is there a place where we can view your high quality work? Can you/have you post(ed) any of it here?

Maybe someone else will enjoy some of the basic coloring tutorials at the site I put in that last post. here are some others for those of you out there who enjoy learning new stuff:

Turning Pencil into Ink: http://www.blazedent.com/photoshop_3_0.php

Digital Comic Coloring: http://www.pensnpixels.com/flatting.htm

I think you misread schir's post. I read that as he wasn't nearly as good as the amateur's on that site. I could be wrong though.

Man, I'm having a hard time reading today! :confused:

Regardless of my buffoonery, the links are informative and fun for anyone.:thumbup:

I think you misread schir's post. I read that as he wasn't nearly as good as the amateur's on that site. I could be wrong though.

You read correctly. If that quality of work is what is representative of what they consider amateurs, then I don't even rate as an amateur. (8^D)

I turn my stuff around in about 30 minutes to two hours so I don't want to spend the amount of time it would require me to use those techniques that would result in such high quality color results. That is why those techniques aren't useful to me, since it would take me days just to finish a single piece. I don't have the luxury of that much time.

- Christopher Mullins

Here's what I was able to get done during lunch. I hope I'm putting the colors in the right place. I couldn't figure out where the maroon would go though.

Excellent work! Much better than what I could have done in that amount of time. (8^D)

Perhaps the belt piece or upper section were to be maroon?

Once again, I ended up with the white uniform.... (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins