Why do folks that dislike Hero hang out here?

nexus

Re: Why do folks that dislike Hero hang out here?

Basically, it's because they're idiots.

I'm not saying that those who don't like the HGS are idiots, nor even those who speak their minds on the issue in other fora. It's just those who have the irresistable urge to come here to bad-mouth Hero. It reveals a complete lack of class and maturity, on the same mentality as trying to distribute pro-Nazi materials at a synagogue (though of course nowhere nearly as aggregious).

A newbie question' date=' but I am curious. Not flamebaiting or trying to start something. I'm simply curious. It seems like it would be a waste of time or just get on your nerves. :confused:[/quote']

I certainly fall in the "I like Hero"

Reasons to hang out here:

• There are some decent plot ideas
  • We tend to be friendly to newbies unless they come in with an attitude.
  • Maybe they're looking for something new?
  • Poking badgers with spoons?

Actually, I see very few Hero Haters here. maybe I just ignore them

Everyone once in a while some HERObasher will come on, often not registering, and jump on any reasonable active thread and subtly, then not too subtly, trash the rules. These are few and far between thankfully.

Then there are those who aren't as fanatical about HERO as most of us (I use the term "fanatical" loosely). They see flaws throughout the system, but they play in a HERO System game, or use HERO as a toolkit for other systems, or just happen to own the book and come here to ask "why?" it's so messed up.

Not preferring hero at the present time in no way eliminates the ability to engage in discussion about hero, to contribute commentary on how to use hero, and so forth.

It certainly doesn't prevent one from drawing interesting info or insight from what may well be pound form pound (percentage by head count) one of if not the single most experienced group of gamers out there. (Just look at the postings from those two recent "hoiw long have you been a hero" thread.)

Admittedly, criticizing hero here is a bit on the risky side, but once you accept that as the way things are, its usually ok.

Reasons to hang out here:

• -snip-
  • Poking badgers with spoons?

As one who pokes badgers with spoons, I hangout to find the best how to simulate one of my favorite pasttimes with another... when I am not bandaging my hands or getting rabies injections. If fact, HERO has expanded my repetoire. I now poke ocelots with sporks, porcupines with butter knifes, and am working on caressing spiny sea urchins with a potato peeler, both in game and in real life.

rob

-how much AP do you give to a sea urchin...

(for comedic use only. use as directed. avoid operating heavy machinery) :D

As Lemming said, I don't see many Herohaters here. I read posts that sometimes are critical of aspects of the system or its designers, but most of those posters are commenting in an effort to improve (in their opinion) the system. I think their intent is good, if not always their delivery.

Cat

I often sense a somewhat different tone from people who have shown themselves to be, shall we say "ambivalent" toward the whole Hero thing on other boards, when they post here. This is after all HERO's home territory, and I think most of them feel like guests in someone's house and behave themselves accordingly. Whereas a board like RPGnet is far more diverse and free-wheeling, so perhaps people feel more comfortable expressing their opinions there.

I also get the impression from a lot of comments I've read that at least some people's problems with Hero come not so much from the system, as from bad experiences with past Hero games they've played in or gamers they've encountered, which left a bad taste in their mouths. That doesn't excuse their sometimes rude conduct, but it a least offers more of an explanation for it than simple system bashing.

A lot of people on these boards have issues with the system themselves and aren't shy about expressing them, but seem to close ranks when "outsiders" do it. Probably a variation on "Nobody beats up my kid brother but me!" ;) For my part, I have no problem with criticism of HERO if it's done intelligently and respectfully. I've noticed that even some of the nay-sayers on RPGnet who come here comport themselves with respect, and as long as that continues I'm more than willing to respond in kind. :)

Just for an interesting point of comparison: About a year and half ago, a new convert to HERO System came on these boards, with the zeal that new converts often have, to sing HERO's praises; but in the course of his praising he made comments that sounded rather like running down other game systems as being inferior, for less intelligent gamers, etc. He was taken to task, albeit fairly politely, for denigrating other games by almost everyone who replied to his post.

I dont see many who hate hero either.

Though I cant understand the prejudice of some people who shall remain nameless (cough cough Lemming) have towards badgers. :rolleyes:

And neverrob those rabies shots will teach you not to poke me with that spoon any more! :eg:

I dont see many who hate hero either.

Though I cant understand the prejudice of some people who shall remain nameless (cough cough Lemming) have towards badgers. :rolleyes:

And neverrob those rabies shots will teach you not to poke me with that spoon any more! :eg:

Not many at all really, but I don't understand why there are any. Not trying to be elitist it just seems like a waste of energy. I don't like or play OGL/d20 games. I don't pop over to their fan boards or mailing lists and drop snarky comments and subtle (or not subtle) innuendo about my opinion of their system of choice and/or thinly veiled contempt for those that play it.

Because there really are some people who genuinely get their kicks being idiots. They don't recognize their behavior as such, of course, but this animal does exist. Best example I've ever seen was actually on a d20 board regarding psionics. Poster went on and on about how they hate psionics -- and had very, very obviously nothing that even resembled a clue about the 3rd Edition psionic system. Even after a certain unnamed poster (cough) went into tremendous detail explaining every factual error, s/he continued to argue from the old rules. That unnamed poster learned that conversing with this type is a waste of effort.

A newbie question' date=' but I am curious. Not flamebaiting or trying to start something. I'm simply curious. It seems like it would be a waste of time or just get on your nerves. :confused:[/quote']

Most of those people are just Trolling to get a huge reaction from the Hero faithful. When they get a rise, then they can feel superior in their thinking. I am used to it, being a mac user I hear lots of the same kind of stuff on the mac sites all of the time. When I read a post like that I just shake my head and move on to the next thread.

Sometimes though, someone is really looking for info. It is very important that we don't assume that someone is a troll when they are just misinformed.

Tasha :)

Ya know' date=' this is an odd thread to me, because off the top of my head I can't think of any hero haters who live here.[/quote']I can...although he doesn't live here anymore, and actually the person who started this thread stole his name :) ...I'm sure Monolith remembers him