City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Ouch Blue. I do all my stuff windowed' date=' which you might want to try out. I don't have to restart when I resize things. Of course, that won't solve your problem, but at least you can go with the biggest possible.[/quote']

How do you get it to load in a window? I don't remember that being an option.

I think there are difficulties when the resolution is set to anything different than your desktop resolution. I have it running on a 42" HDTV at 1260x790 at highest quality graphics and it looks incredible. Keep playing with settings until you find what works best. I think it is worth it.

Guys had any experience with high resolutions in Coh/cov?

I ask because I got a new 28" monitor. While it and my video card can suppoert 1900x1200, when I try to log in I get a message that it exceeds the limit and has been reset to 800x600. So I've been slowly moving the dial down. 1280x960, which is technically a lower rez than my old monitor was at (1280x1024) but then it had a different aspect.

I have no problems running CoH at 1680x1050, but I have an Nvidia 8800GTS320 pushing my pretty colors around.

Your problem might have something to do with graphic processing power. Resolution isn't the only element to be considered. While your graphics card may support 1900x1200 at full color-depth, it may not have the horsepower to support CoH requirements at that resolution. CoH is a total resource hog, and a lot of cards just aren't up to the job.

What is the make and model of your graphics card? With that info, we can check out its more esoteric attributes like core clock speed, stream processors, memory interface, etc.

When I was picking out my graphics card, the denizens of the CoH technical forum were extremely helpful. There are some very knowledgeable enthusiasts hanging out there.

In the meantime, you can cut down slightly on the ugliness of lower resolutions by picking a setting that is exactly half of your monitor's native resolution, 950x600. I have my older PC set for 840x525 for when I want to dual-box, and it's quite playable. You should be able to set your UI resolution to your native resolution to keep it from taking up too much real estate.

It's a Radeon (I think it's a Radeon x1050, but I can't be certain without cracking open the case, because the device manager lists it as "Radeon x300/x550/x1050 series"). But of the three that sounds like the one I was more likely to buy. I think it may be time for a new video card anyway.

I also have an Ageia PhysX card. I've tried this with the Ageia support both ON and OFF in-game (another reason I spent a lot of time fooling with this).

Both have the latest drivers.

I've settled in at 1280x960 for now, because it's the highest resolution which still keeps the picture in proportion (In other words, the player isn't extra-wide). It works, but it could be prettier.

It's a Radeon [...]
There's the problem. The ATI Radeon line is not meant to be "gaming calibre."

I think it may be time for a new video card anyway.
Agreed. Since CoH is an OpenGL game, I strongly recommend a video card with the NVidia chipset. The 8800 line is new this year and delivers some very nice performance improvements over last year's 8600 line. But if you are bargain hunting, a high-end 8600 card will have better performance and cost less than a mid-grade 8800.

EDIT: If you decide to go for an 8800, check your power supply. It may not deliver enough amps to satisfy the card's requirements. If you aren't willing to consider upgrading your power supply, look for a good 8600 instead.

If you simply must get another ATI card, you absolutely must go to the CoH tech forums and read BillZBubba's work on CoH on ATI cards. BillZ is an ATI god and generally high-end video wonk.

I also have an Ageia PhysX card.
This will make some things prettier, especially explosions, but will not improve your overall video performance. I might toss one into my game rig later this year, but I was advised not to prioritize it over a beefy video card.

This will make some things prettier' date=' especially explosions, but will not improve your overall video performance. I might toss one into my game rig later this year, but I was advised not to prioritize it over a beefy video card.[/quote']

I haven't read anything about it recently, but weren't the video card manufacturers talking about putting the PPU as well as the GPU on one card in the near future?

I haven't read anything about it recently' date=' but weren't the video card manufacturers talking about putting the PPU as well as the GPU on one card in the near future?[/quote']I haven't heard anything about it, but that means nothing. I leave the main skull sweat and industry tracking to the video enthusiasts and partake of their wisdom as needed. My advice above is distilled from my last few visits to the CoH tech forum and from relatively recent experience upgrading my own video card and power supply (and CPU and RAM).

I haven't read anything about it recently' date=' but weren't the video card manufacturers talking about putting the PPU as well as the GPU on one card in the near future?[/quote']

I've heard that is the case, but it remains to be seen still.

BTW. loading the Physx drivers are supposed to help even if one doesn't have the card.

BTW. loading the Physx drivers are supposed to help even if one doesn't have the card.
The downside to this is that the PhysX support puts greater load on your video card (not a tremendous amount but noticeable) if you don't have a PhysX card to do the heavy lifting.

Woot! Back!

The upcoming server transfer feature should allow us to bring all the Hero gamers under one roof. Legion of Heroes taken as a supergroup already?.

This is a cool SG name for folks who want to play together. :D

I'll gleefully swap toons to come team-up with Heroites.

I'd be up for something like this. Maybe start new toons or level-up low level ones. Pick a day and a server and we'll start in. I'm on Champion mostly.

I had a mission in Faultline today that pissed me off. The mission was a radio mission, and it was back by the dam. I was level 19 so everything was red and purple to me. And then instead of having the mission door easy to get to, it was hidden underground in the Arachnos dig site. A narrow cave area filled with level 22_ mobs.

I died once trying to get to the door. Almost died as I got to the door, but got inside just in time. Had less than a quarter of my Hp left.

When I sent PlayNC a not nice note, all they responded with was "That's how it is." GRRRRRRRRRRR!:thumbdown

Woot! Back!

This is a cool SG name for folks who want to play together. :D

I'd be up for something like this. Maybe start new toons or level-up low level ones. Pick a day and a server and we'll start in. I'm on Champion mostly.

Remarkably Legion of Heroes was not taken as a supergroup name on Champion server. It is now. :D I've got the group name but don't have time to be leader. Who wants the job?

I had a mission in Faultline today that pissed me off. The mission was a radio mission, and it was back by the dam. I was level 19 so everything was red and purple to me. And then instead of having the mission door easy to get to, it was hidden underground in the Arachnos dig site. A narrow cave area filled with level 22_ mobs.

I died once trying to get to the door. Almost died as I got to the door, but got inside just in time. Had less than a quarter of my Hp left.

When I sent PlayNC a not nice note, all they responded with was "That's how it is." GRRRRRRRRRRR!:thumbdown

They shoulda said "You should be used to that from running in The Hollows." :rolleyes:

jg

They shoulda said "You should be used to that from running in The Hollows." :rolleyes:

jg

After the first toon that I ran in the Hollows ran Frostfire 9 times, I skip the Hollows and stay in the city zones.

And you don't have to worry to much about running into a cave system to find a door to a msh, unless you do the trial.

I'll be getting my 1 year soon' date=' and I have a 44 (BDSM Avenger, no I'm not joking). I haven't touched her much after switching over to Virtue though.[/quote']

This has violated the permissible number of double entendres per post guidelines. :sneaky:

Sorry, I'm just in one of those moods today. :lol:

Well, I'm still not pleased actually gaming on my current 2002 model computer. However, I spent tonight making a fun bunch of villains. And by bunch I apparently mean four.

Princess Sinister: a Devistator? Destroyer? Whatever the Villainous version of the blaster is. She's the daughter of a technomancer demon. Gravity/Energy. I really like her look. very tech. White and Purple. Colorscheme

The Atomic Juggernaut: Corruptor; Radiation/Radiation. BIG robot looking fellow. Bronze and red. with neon green highlights. I'm not 100% satisfied with the robot monster legs. :)

The Blood Red Hand: Ninja based stalker. I really like his costume. Black and red, he's undead so his skin is a bluish color.

Dr. Asimov: Robotics Mastermind and Dr. Doom Homage. Purple and bright silver

Neat looking but they don't have out and out "powers" for his armor, he has grenades and a rifle. UNCOOL.

I love making characters. Playing is an exercise in Lag Frustration.

Well' date=' I'm still not pleased actually gaming on my current 2002 model computer.[/quote']

The easiest way to get better performance is to add memory. 1 to 2 gigs of RAM will speed loading immensely. New video cards are expensive; try the Options in the main menu. Go to the Video and Audio tab and crank the Graphics all the way down to Minimum. There's a four position slider that allows you to turn off most features, the game should be playable on most anything like that.

Dr. Asimov: Robotics Mastermind and Dr. Doom Homage. Purple and bright silver

Neat looking but they don't have out and out "powers" for his armor, he has grenades and a rifle. UNCOOL.

Best... name... ever! :D

Most Masterminds skip their personal attacks anyway. I did. Just starting out the attacks can help speed leveling. After level 26 (Assault Bot) they are pointless, and after level 32 (Upgrade Robot) the personal attacks are a joke.

Take the personal attacks now if you like (the 2nd Rifle one is decent). Plan on using a repec to remove them later.