City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

I already did a similar thing. A Thug/FF MM on Virtue called Joey Sporgenza

Ajax, Luther, Cyrus, Fox, Swan, and later Cowboy.

Also have a Bots MM (who I rarely use, though) whos robots are named after food she eats while building them. So their names are Mushroom and Ramen Noodles.

Celt: Well, that's how I pronounce, it yeah. I decided to spell it correctly and hope people got the joke. Since you did, I think I erred properly on the side of caution. :D

James Gillen: Too. Darn. Funny. You sir, win the HERO internets. All of them.

Thank You. :D

Oh, Wayne Brady just hit 16th, so he now has his Enforcer: Brad Sherwood, to lead his thugs, Dave Chapelle and Ryan Styles.

Is his BattleCry "Does Wayne Brady gotta choke a beeotch to get his money?!?"

Thank You. :D

Is his BattleCry "Does Wayne Brady gotta choke a beeotch to get his money?!?"

Close...

I had to truncate the b-word, but since I couldn't say it and get away with it anyway, I made his quote...

"Am I gonna have to choke a #$%?"

Other notable toon quotes:

"DIE Daniel-San!"

"Sweep the leg Johnny!"

"DOHAR!!!!"

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts: Still not going to go back until they add in something substantially more (like an out-of-combat skillset), but most of these things seem to be a good idea:

Time Travel - that's pretty neat, and a response to a request that's been around for a while. Cool.

Weapon Customization - another Quality of Life thing that's been on the request queue - good for them for getting to it.

New Inventions - meh. I like the invention system as a thing to do, but I feel it breaks the idea of a superhero game. A couple of concepts can use it, and I think it's fine for supervillians, but I don't see it working for most character concepts. Thus, any addition here is a "good for the game, bad for the genre".

New Powersets - dual swords has been on the queue for a while. I'm guessing it'll be fine. Willpower seems like an odd powerset, but I guess it's in the vein of "defensive psychic" or "two-fisted hero", so I suppose it'll be ok. My main 'hey, neat' thought was that they're adding in combos: powers that get better if you use them in combination somehow. That's a neat thing, but I don't know if it's just for a single AT or if that's true overall. Regardless, it seems like a neat thing to do.

New Powersets - dual swords has been on the queue for a while. I'm guessing it'll be fine. Willpower seems like an odd powerset' date=' but I guess it's in the vein of "defensive psychic" or "two-fisted hero", so I suppose it'll be ok. My main 'hey, neat' thought was that they're adding in combos: powers that get better if you use them in combination somehow. That's a neat thing, but I don't know if it's just for a single AT or if that's true overall. Regardless, it seems like a neat thing to do.[/quote']

I actually would love to see inter-character combos, the Fastball Special type attacks where one achetype's power only worked (or worked better) with another player's powers. They kind of did this with the Slick Arrow, where anybody's flame power can light it, but more would be great.

-shnar

That's odd. It's a well known bug. Check the forums. I have vista, and I added this to the "Target" field of the Properties of the CoH shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\CohTest\CohUpdater.exe" -compatiblecursors 1 -renderthread 1

It's the "-compatiblecursors 1" that fixes it. The renderthread is for my dual core.

I wonder if you can customize Dual Wield to be knives instead of swords, or have a minigun for the AR blasters/corrupters (the closest I'll probably get to a guy with a minigun for an arm).

Probably unlikely, but hey, it's something to hope for.

From what I've heard, there will be several starting modifications available. And as you defeat certain groups other weapon customizations become available.

I always wanted dual pistols (for a cowboy/girl style blaster) which should be easy since some of the Malta use them, and water powers (which should be an easy bastardization of ice and other sets but with different graphics).

Here's some more info, just in case you haven't been keeping up on the CoH boards:

Just a quick note:

The dual BLADES set is just that, blades. There are no smash-style weapons for choice in that set. However, War Mace has a bunch of options. Personally I like the warhammer, the pipe wrench, and the sledge hammer options that War Mace got.

And yes, we were gnashing our teeth not being able to explain why we called the set Dual Blades. I like the dual sais myself with that set.

And the developers have also said that the Assault Riffle blaster set will be able to get things like Tommy guns.

And someone (not sure who) will be getting a Shovel for a weapon. Sounds like the equivalent of getting coal in your stocking to me.

Here's some more info, just in case you haven't been keeping up on the CoH boards:

And the developers have also said that the Assault Riffle blaster set will be able to get things like Tommy guns.

And someone (not sure who) will be getting a Shovel for a weapon. Sounds like the equivalent of getting coal in your stocking to me.

You say that but it actually comes closer to what I think they should have done a long time ago. Make the game more "HERO System like". Don't call it the Energy Blast power set, or the radiation power set, call it the Knockback Power set and the ... Healing power set (for lack of a better name), then allow the player to chose the SFX. If I want my radiation to look like Ice, let me do that. It would have exactly the same effect mechanically, it would just look different.

You say that but it actually comes closer to what I think they should have done a long time ago.

I mean just getting a shovel sounds like getting coal in your stocking. Not the whole customization system, which I think is very cool.

The only thing against Heroization (is that a word?) that I can think of is that in PvP you wouldn't be able to recognize any powers the other guy was using. Right now, I see someone using Engery Blast, I know what the set does (roughly) and some ways I might counter it.

Not that I pvp at all, just saying the dev's have a wide range of concerns when they implement this stuff.

What's wrong with the Shoveler? He's the most level-headed of the Mysterymen and dang cool with it!

I mean just getting a shovel sounds like getting coal in your stocking. Not the whole customization system, which I think is very cool.

The only thing against Heroization (is that a word?) that I can think of is that in PvP you wouldn't be able to recognize any powers the other guy was using. Right now, I see someone using Engery Blast, I know what the set does (roughly) and some ways I might counter it.

Not that I pvp at all, just saying the dev's have a wide range of concerns when they implement this stuff.

But you'd know what it does when/if it strikes you, which would make it actually a good thing, in my opinon, as it introduces a positive fog-of-war until you are hit, and then, as there's a math-based system that is semi-transparent to the end user, you can figure out the rest quickly (which is fairly superhero like, too, leaping from "never saw that before" to "ah-ha, I know what that is!").