Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Memo to self: Anacortes has a major motorcyclist event the last weekend of September. Check this annually, so that you can schedule the trip to that town for your father-in-law's birthday the other day of that weekend. :straight:

Nothing against motorcyclists in this; it's merely that packing a few thousand extra motor vehicles ... even two-wheel motor vehicles ... into any medium-size town messes up the traffic flow something fierce.

On the other hand, a comment about the noise level induced by the 'cycles would be something against motorcyclists. Amen for pseudo-anonymous internet handles.

:lol:

Alice's post made me think... (shocking, I know!) ... maybe we should go back through the thread and re-run "The Best Of..."

Whaddaya think?

Nah, to go all those posts and pick out the ones we liked? to much work .

And besides, we will disagree as to which ones are classic etc.

How about we get permission from the people that can be answers. That way we don't have to worry about certain people getting offended or using people that' date=' well, still don't exist.[/quote'] Send us a questionair by PM. Those who answer are those to be included.

nd besides' date=' we will disagree as to which ones are classic etc.[/quote']

So true...I wouldn't want to turn it into our version of the Trekkers' infighting:

"Longest Running Thread EVER, the original postings, are clearly the best."

"No way, dude...LRTE: The Next Postination sticks to topics so much better, and don't ignore the continuity of previous posts!"

"You're both wrong; LRTE: Deep Post 99,999 has much better characterization all the way around. You can actually see the posters developing more maturity and depth of character between their first posts to that thread and the latest ones."

(In unision) "And no one better even think about bringing up LRTE: Forumager!"

Nah' date=' to go all those posts and pick out the ones we liked? to much [i'] work [/i].

And besides, we will disagree as to which ones are classic etc.

If we titled the thread along the lines of "Like an ill-digested chiliburger, it rises again", you could set the disagreement into the other sense, which might be more humorous.

Smart-*** things in scientific journals, part 228: Including a citation of Galileo.

The direct quote, from Chaname, Pinsonneault, & Terndrup, in the Sept 20 issue of Astrophysical Journal Letters, is:

Theoretical models of stellar structure and evolution have traditionally neglected rotation, even though stars have been known to rotate since the 17th century (Galilei et al. 1613).

The citation as listed in the references section of the paper is

Galilei, G., Welser, M., & de Filiis, A. 1613, Istoria E dimostrazioni intorno alle macchie solari E loro accidenti comprese in tre lettere scritte all'illvstrissimo signor Marco Velseri Linceo, In Roma, MDCXIII

The paper also references four papers (it's a huge citation list for an Ap.J.L. paper) where I'm in the author list ... so this must be the only time for all eternity that I'll be listed on a more or less equal basis with Galileo. ;)