Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

A Squirrel dressed like one of the leaders of history walks through the door, find a seat and sits down. A while later he gets up and makes his way to the podium. He looks out and sees people dressed up as Neoploean's, Gengis Khan's and a few Rames III's.

He speaks into the microphone: "Hi. My name is SuperSquirrel and I am a "Civ IV-aholic." "Hi SuperSquirrel" the audience echoed. So began the inaugural meeting of "Civ-IV-aholic's Anonymous".

After the meeting they celebrated with a smash-up game of Civ IV.

Anybody ever play 'pick-up' HERO games?

If so, how do you do those quick plots and create NPCs for encounters?

My GM just let's the players ramble on for a bit ... We've started games where the players interacted in the local hangout for an hour real time before the GM even notice we started playing (it was his turn to cook dinner) and by then we had a plot for HIM.

A lot of the time the GM is the guy who plays all the people who aren't us players and has absolutely no control over actual direction. He's always got a few NPC personalities to draw from to make up some people with if need be as well.

My GM just let's the players ramble on for a bit ... We've started games where the players interacted in the local hangout for an hour real time before the GM even notice we started playing (it was his turn to cook dinner) and by then we had a plot for HIM.

A lot of the time the GM is the guy who plays all the people who aren't us players and has absolutely no control over actual direction. He's always got a few NPC personalities to draw from to make up some people with if need be as well.

Is this after a setting has already been established? And, I'm guessing you're talking about Fantasy Hero. And, these are established characters? If so, that's cool and kudos to you and the other players of your group.

In my younger (and horrific days) before HERO System, I could start a Fantasy D&D campaign completely off the cuff with a completely new and original setting. I'd simply have an originating arc that fit in with the characters built and go from there. Building the setting and the story as I went.

Now, I'm civilized. I use a more structured game. I'm also looking for different things out of my games than simple entertainment. I'm trying to create ART. I look for a particular mood and theme from not only the setting, but also a particular campaign within that setting and possibly per story arc, let alone session.

I do hold myself to a higher standard (even though it vexes me to no end). But, if I don't, it just doesn't seem worth the work. To me. I'm not expecting other people to do the same, nor that the 'higher standard' has anything in particular to do with someone else. It is a 'higher standard' than anything I've tried previously.

Is this after a setting has already been established? And, I'm guessing you're talking about Fantasy Hero. And, these are established characters? If so, that's cool and kudos to you and the other players of your group.

In my younger (and horrific days) before HERO System, I could start a Fantasy D&D campaign completely off the cuff with a completely new and original setting. I'd simply have an originating arc that fit in with the characters built and go from there. Building the setting and the story as I went.

Now, I'm civilized. I use a more structured game. I'm also looking for different things out of my games than simple entertainment. I'm trying to create ART. I look for a particular mood and theme from not only the setting, but also a particular campaign within that setting and possibly per story arc, let alone session.

I do hold myself to a higher standard (even though it vexes me to no end). But, if I don't, it just doesn't seem worth the work. To me. I'm not expecting other people to do the same, nor that the 'higher standard' has anything in particular to do with someone else. It is a 'higher standard' than anything I've tried previously.

No, Champions game. Yes it is an established setting. We've done the same with new characters though that's rarer.

If we want a pick up game we usually toss on a genre and build from there.

We also tend to play 'from the hip' for pickup games. Invovled games are never to nonchalant.

It seems this thread is 2000 posts shy of being the longest thread of any thread locked or otherwise.
Is that a call for more pointless posting? Okay, I can do that.

It's my sister's 48th birthday today. As our birthdays are six months apart to the day, I am exactly 40.5 years old today.

And we were both born in the Spring.

Is that a call for more pointless posting? Okay, I can do that.

It's my sister's 48th birthday today. As our birthdays are six months apart to the day, I am exactly 40.5 years old today.

And we were both born in the Spring.

Born in opposite hemispheres I take it?

just more pointless posting.

I've been going to a gym for nearly six months now, and my membership is about to expire. Unlike some other times I have joined a gym over the past 20 years, I actually went regularly for the whole time. The gym is at the Uni and I get a massive student discount even though I am an external student, but the hassle is walking there and back at lunchtimes - between that and the required shower after my workout, I spend less than half the time I spend actually working out (I only lift weights, I don't do aerobics or treadmills or anything). And with summer over, I don't fancy doing this hike in the wind and rain. But I don't want to stop exercising now, I can tell its been worthwhile. My weight has dropped only slightly (from 95 to 92 kg) but a greater proportion of that is muscle than before, and most importantly I feel fitter. My cholesterol has also improved based on my last few tests, it went up after I stopped playing basketball, but has dropped again since I've started with the weights again.

So when the latest KMart catalogue included a cheap home gym, I decided that was the way to go. It's basically an adjutable bench, but it does have a pulldown attachment. It costs less than a year's gym membership. All I need is the weights for it, but it takes standard dumbbell weights and I already have a set of those. I need somewhere to put it, but we are planning to get another shed put between the carport and the fence, which is wasted space at the moment, and I will be able to put it in there. It is on order (they ran out of stock on hand) and I should be able to pick it up in a day or two.

This post is to publicly declare and affirm my intention to continue with my exercise program for the next six months (which will take me up to my 41st birthday). I am not setting goals for weight loss or weights lifted, these are counterproductive I feel. My goal is simply to use my new gym equipment on a regular basis. In spite of my best intentions, there is the possibility my commitment will wane. Having made this public statement of my intentions, I will feel a certain amount of pressure to live up to these words. Not external pressure, as peer pressure has never affected me, but internal, a personal desire to live up to the public commitment I have made. True motivation comes from within, not without.

This post also adds one to the thread post count. A win-win.