Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

That's a lotta nothing.

I was amused at your wife's remark not to make fun of her because she isn't used to getting weather. Actually, before I read that, I was pretty impressed with the hailstorm. Those were some decently-sized hailstones, and the effect was different than what I'm used to.

That's a lotta nothing.

I was amused at your wife's remark not to make fun of her because she isn't used to getting weather. Actually, before I read that, I was pretty impressed with the hailstorm. Those were some decently-sized hailstones, and the effect was different than what I'm used to.

Heh. We got some of that storm out here in El Dorado Hills too. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked outside as it came down. Small enough that it shouldn't have damaged anyone's car, but enough of them to make it look like it had snowed briefly. :)

I have only seen it hail here a handful of times since I've been here (1979), and that one has to be the most impressive I've ever seen. BTW, it is currently 63 degrees outside and sunny. Freaky California weather...

I have only seen it hail here a handful of times since I've been here (1979)' date=' and that one has to be the most impressive I've ever seen. BTW, it is currently 63 degrees outside and sunny. Freaky California weather...[/quote']

I remember a hailstorm one July in Oklahoma. It was in the 90s while the hail was coming down.

Heh. We got some of that storm out here in El Dorado Hills too. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked outside as it came down. Small enough that it shouldn't have damaged anyone's car' date=' but enough of them to make it look like it had snowed briefly. :)[/quote']

The pictures my wife posted are mighty impressive... let's see if I can link to one from here...

IMG_0903.jpg

The pictures my wife posted are mighty impressive... let's see if I can link to one from here...

IMG_0903.jpg

Heh. I'm guessing I must've brought the hail with me from Denver, since we got storms like that generally several times a year. And my understanding is that this is unusual for this area. Or at least it used to be... :D

Never's a very long time. You could, instead, get a screen shot of all of the posts you post under post count 665. Or, you could go to the member list, sort by post count, and get a screen shot of your rankings.

Or, you could just do what you want. *shrugs*

It all became moot when I once more delved into the depths of Depths of Space on the Star Hero board.

*sigh*

. . . Moot . . .

What does that mean, exactly?

adj.

1. Subject to debate; arguable: a moot question.

1. Law. Without legal significance, through having been previously decided or settled.
    2. Of no practical importance; irrelevant.

Is there anything in Usenet nowadays besides the FAQs that isn't wall to wall flamewars? I admit I gave up on it in 1991 or so.

Alt.Cyberpunk and Alt.Cyberpunk.Chatsubo have little to no flamewars, those are the only groups I'm still active with these days.

I can't even find a decent news server these days. My ISP canned all the binary groups and half the alt groups.

http://news.aioe.org/

news.aioe.org is a free Italian NNTP, they only allow 25 posts per user per day. Text Only.

there is also http://news.individual.net/

which used to be known as news.cis.dfn.de and is only 10 euro a year for text only.

If you need binaries you'll probably wind up paying for it, unless you only need very low traffic Groups.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/

$10/Unlimited D/Ls.

http://usenetserver.com/

Which is great, but it's 15$/month.

http://news.aioe.org/

news.aioe.org is a free Italian NNTP, they only allow 25 posts per user per day. Text Only.

there is also http://news.individual.net/

which used to be known as news.cis.dfn.de and is only 10 euro a year for text only.

If you need binaries you'll probably wind up paying for it, unless you only need very low traffic Groups.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/

$10/Unlimited D/Ls.

http://usenetserver.com/

Which is great, but it's 15$/month.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Texas State Wildlife and Game Department

Yet more shocking revelations came to light today regarding last weekend's hunting 'accident' in Texas. Officials at the Texas State Wildlife and Game Department revealed that Vice President Dick Cheney violated established State hunting laws when he shot Mr. Harry Whittington.

As Wildlife Ranger John Burton explained - "We got nothin' against huntin' lawyers around here - hell, I've bagged a few myself. And Mr. Huntington's age made him a prime candidate for herd-thinning: he's 78 and way past his prime. But Huntington is a TAX lawyer, and you ain't allowed to take tax lawyers until May 1st."

In 1987, in an agreement reached with the Texas Bar Association, the Wildlife & Game Dept. established a series of laws regulating the hunting of lawyers. "You have to understand," said the Chairman of the TBA, "if we don't thin 'em out then they overpopulate their egosystem. Next thing you know, there aren't enough cases to go around. Young lawyers starve, or clog up the court-houses and television trying to drum up clients. It just messes things up. But we also didn't want indiscriminant slaughter, so we got together with the Wildlife boys and set up a few rules."

These rules include the following:

1) Only lawyers above the age of 64 and personal-injury attorneys may be taken, with a limit of two per hunter per year. Muzzle-loader hunters are allowed three, bow-hunters are restricted to four.

2) Only female lawyers above child-bearing age may be shot, even personal-injury attorneys.

3) Tax lawyer hunting season is the only time restriction, with the season running from May 1st to December 12th.

"Of course, the usual standard hunting rules apply: no setting up lawyer-stands within a 10-mile radius of a courthouse, no money-licks, and no shooting 'em when they're seated," said Ranger Burton. "We Texans are hunters, pure and simple - there's nothing like bagging a

67 year-old corporate merger attorney at 200 yards with a compound bow. But you have to have standards, and you have to play by the rules and give 'em a fighting chance."

The Vice President will more than likely receive a fine of $10,000, and may even be required to perform a few hours of community service. "I know that seems sorta harsh for just nailing a really old one with some bird-shot, but me and a few others suspect that this was what we call a 'canned hunt' - the Vice President invited the lawyer along. It ain't illegal per se, but a canned hunt is just plain wrong, and an insult to all of us who hunt lawyer the proper way."

When asked for comment, White House Spokesman Scott McClelland confirmed that "Vice President Cheney did indeed pull the trigger which activated the primer which detonated, which caused a rapid formation of gas which pushed the shell which sent the pellets flying in the general direction of the lawyer. But he didn't know about that tax-lawyer loophole."