Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Due to the heavy rains and flooding in the El Paso area, I had to use 4WD

Low on my F250 Super Duty pickup for the first time ever. Those who think that everyone should be forced to drive a 1200 lb., four passenger, four cylinder, Euro hybrid that gets fifty five miles per gallon and a top speed of fifty five miles per hour should have had to push me out of the mud and catch the flying muck from my back tires spinning.

Well my truck is all covered in mud right now from having to get to my flooded place of business. What irks me is the National Weather Service told people to stay home and they had to play tourist and see the Rio Grande in its 100 year flood level. Oh, well. Some yuppie got his Birkenstocks wet when the Volvo hit a hole in front of the organic foods shop.

You can't say you've been off-road until it takes half an hour to three-quarters of an hour to climb a steep hill on a dirt track.

That is the Outback, Australia's own. (well one of my experiences anyway. and it was unusual.)

Due to the heavy rains and flooding in the El Paso area, I had to use 4WD

Low on my F250 Super Duty pickup for the first time ever. Those who think that everyone should be forced to drive a 1200 lb., four passenger, four cylinder, Euro hybrid that gets fifty five miles per gallon and a top speed of fifty five miles per hour should have had to push me out of the mud and catch the flying muck from my back tires spinning.

Well, I don't think anyone should be forced to drive anything, though I do drive a hybrid. However, it weighs 2800lbs, but does hold four passengers, does have a 4 cylinder engine (and 2 electric motors), is a Japanese hybrid, is currently "only" getting 46MPG or so, and the fastest I've taken it is ~90. Though it would certainly go faster than that. I don't really plan on taking it off road, though I'll probably have it on dirt roads at least a couple of times. My only regret trading my Highlander in for it is the loss of 4WD, but after moving to NorCal from Denver I don't really need the 4WD anymore, and getting more than double the mileage is certainly worth it.

It is costing me $3000 to replace the batteries in a warehouse forklift, so between that and the cost of electricity charging it up overnight, I am not convinced that it saves money, energy, pollution when compared to my propane fuel outdoor forklifts.

I worry about the battery packs in hybrids having to be replaced. I hear it's expensive.

Well, the traction battery (the expensive one in the car) is waranteed by Toyota for 10 years or 150,000 miles, at least in CA. And that isn't a normal car battery warantee that is pro-rated after the first 3 seconds. If it fails during that time, it is replaced, parts and labor included. There are Pirus taxis that have more than 200,000 miles on them, batteries still holding up strong.

The battery is also made up of individual cells, so that if one or two of them fail outside of warantee, you'd just have to replace those cells rather than the entire battery.

Well, the traction battery (the expensive one in the car) is waranteed by Toyota for 10 years or 150,000 miles, at least in CA. And that isn't a normal car battery warantee that is pro-rated after the first 3 seconds. If it fails during that time, it is replaced, parts and labor included. There are Pirus taxis that have more than 200,000 miles on them, batteries still holding up strong.

The battery is also made up of individual cells, so that if one or two of them fail outside of warantee, you'd just have to replace those cells rather than the entire battery.

I actually like the idea of using electric cars in the city, especially in the inner city or downtown or in a suburb between school, shopping, and medical, etc.

I just hate people giving dirty looks from their "correct" vehicles when I am buying my own gas and paying my taxes and will drive the vehicles I deem appropriate for my family and business.

I actually like the idea of using electric cars in the city, especially in the inner city or downtown or in a suburb between school, shopping, and medical, etc.

I just hate people giving dirty looks from their "correct" vehicles when I am buying my own gas and paying my taxes and will drive the vehicles I deem appropriate for my family and business.

And more power too ya! The car I owned before my Prius was a Highlander. I'm doing a lot more driving now than I did when I bought the Highlander, and have had no use for the extra cargo area since moving to CA. That is what got me looking at the hybrids, and I ended up with a Prius because a) I'm a Toyota guy, and B) because in addition to being a hybrid it is just a neat car. Lots of neat widgets, lots of room for both cargo and passengers. But if I was still regularly going to SCA camping events with my yurt, I'd've stuck with the Highlander.

Watched a couple of films on DVD.

The Matador where Pierce Brosnan plays an Assassin who is losing his ability.

And Romance and Cigarettes where Susan Sarandon discovers her husband James Gandolfini is having an affair with Kate Winslett behind her back. Directed by John Turturro and produced by the Coen brothers it also has Christopher Walken singing and dancing. Worth a look.

Actually, the only reason I shoot dirty looks at large vehicles is because it's difficult to see around them; that's more a personal safety thing than a politics thing. Neither of my vehicles are real winners in the political/emissions department (actually one is, but only because I can't get it started at the moment so it counts as parking strip sculpture rather than vehicle :mad:). The sports car with the same milage as the SUV bothers me less, simply because I can see over and around him.

Actually' date=' the only reason I shoot dirty looks at large vehicles is because it's difficult to see around them; that's more a personal safety thing than a politics thing. Neither of my vehicles are real winners in the political/emissions department (actually one is, but only because I can't get it started at the moment so it counts as parking strip sculpture rather than vehicle :mad:). The sports car with the same milage as the SUV bothers me less, simply because I can see over and around him.[/quote']

Heh. My dad calls them SUVBs: Sports-Utility Visibility Blockers.