The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Don't do it instead of having your own business - just a side income. It kills your soul' date=' ambition, self-esteem, and self-confidence 90% faster than most legal work.[/quote']

Small wonder it's so popular in DC... do this work for a few years, and you'll be ready to enter politics.

Not quite cranky now, but I'm amazed I wasn't crankier during the camping trip.

0829 : Just before leaving, ripped a hole in my sleeping bag by taking the tag off. My wife fixed it just before I left.

0831 : First stop, opened back of X-terra and water jug fell out. Sprung a leak in a bad spot. Tossed into recycling.

0831 : First camp site, the low pressure light came on. I check the tires, find a nail in one. Thankfully the spare is full size, so drove on that the rest of the trip until back in the city and got the tire fixed.

0901 : During the night, my air mattress decides to start leaking. By 0903 it's useless.

0902 : One of the tent poles splinters during setup. (fiberglass, electric tape wrapped around it seems to hold it together)

0903 : The surviving water jug falls over and breaks it's cap.

0904 : Setting up tent, the rainfly tie down rips on one corner.

0905 : Sitting at dinner, my sunglasses that are just sitting on the table, let off a click and one lens falls out. Turns out the frame broke.

0906 : Zipping up my sweat jacket, the zipper comes off. Same day I get the tire nail taken out, and get home.

0907 : I use other car to drive back to rescue kitten. My wife goes to work and tells me the tire pressure light is on again. Next day I take the car in again and they find two nails in a different tire.

Not sure what was going on, but I've never had that many things break. Thankfully, none were critical, just annoying.

Where was this camping trip exactly? Same place as the Blair Witch Project?

Yellowstone and Grand Tetons with going thru Flaming Gorge on the way back.

All in all, a great trip, and much more expensive things could of been broken. No one got eaten by Grizzly Bears, my cameras are fine, I rescued a cat, so no regrets on going.

So the initial offer wasn't as bad as I thought--retention bonus to stay through the transition' date=' substantial severance pay if I say no, relocation expenses paid. Think I'd still only take it if there was a promotion involved.[/quote']

Major savings on cost of living, though. And I have a line on a wise old hermit who lives one state over.

So after fighting for weeks to keep a day open on my work schedule to take the car in, I finally get it to the shop... and the lug nut adapter is missing. No suspension fix today! I told them they might as well look at the A/C since I was there. They just called me with the estimate. Anyone want to guess how much it is?

So after fighting for weeks to keep a day open on my work schedule to take the car in' date=' I finally get it to the shop... and the lug nut adapter is missing. No suspension fix today! I told them they might as well look at the A/C since I was there. They just called me with the estimate. Anyone want to guess how much it is?[/quote']

*pinky salute*

One ... MEEEEEEELLION dollars.

(More seriously ... 2 grand?)

So, I guess bad things DO come in threes. First the divorce, then the job relocation, and now...my wallet and cell phone were stolen from my gym locker yesterday. Fortunately I had no cash and my cards were nearly maxed out already. Made all the phone calls and reports, mostly just an inconvenience. Have to request phone numbers and stuff from all my contacts now. Hope they catch the guy. The funny thing is, I'm not super-upset about it. Just taking it in stride. "S##t happens". :)

So' date=' I guess bad things DO come in threes. First the divorce, then the job relocation, and now...my wallet and cell phone were stolen from my gym locker yesterday. Fortunately I had no cash and my cards were nearly maxed out already. Made all the phone calls and reports, mostly just an inconvenience. Have to request phone numbers and stuff from all my contacts now. Hope they catch the guy. The funny thing is, I'm not super-upset about it. Just taking it in stride. "S##t happens". :)[/quote']

Might want to see if your phone company can send a wipe command to the phone, in case there was anything remotely sensitive on it.

So' date=' I guess bad things DO come in threes. First the divorce, then the job relocation, and now...my wallet and cell phone were stolen from my gym locker yesterday. Fortunately I had no cash and my cards were nearly maxed out already. Made all the phone calls and reports, mostly just an inconvenience. Have to request phone numbers and stuff from all my contacts now. Hope they catch the guy. The funny thing is, I'm not super-upset about it. Just taking it in stride. "S##t happens". :)[/quote']

You know, if you take the relocation, she doesn't have to save up to move out. Drop off the key, Lee.

Ouch! You okay' date=' Old Man?[/quote']

Yeah, he just rolled into me at the light. Having to waste time with the insurance companies and the body shop sucks though.

Was trying to figure out why my arm wasn't resting comfortably. Apparently my elbow swelled up right where I noticed a lump my doctor said was nothing to worry about.

Hmm, probably bursistis if the internet search was accurate.

Or it could be a growing larva.