League of Extraordinary Gentlemen question

Badger

Guest Major Tom

Re: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen question

Sheesh the younger generation...

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a classic work of horror fiction...

Next you'll be telling me you haven't heard of Odd John by Olaf Stapledon.

I don't know about the rest of the membership, but I certainly had not

heard of this story (Odd John, I mean). Please, enlighten me if you

would be so kind as to do so.

Major Tom :think:

I don't know about the rest of the membership' date=' but [i']I[/i] certainly had not

heard of this story (Odd John, I mean). Please, enlighten me if you

would be so kind as to do so.

Major Tom :think:

according to google, ODD JOHN is the first novel about a 'superman' and predates the comicbook character by about 2 years--although in terms of plot, it sounds to be the basis of just about every X-MEN story for the last decade or so.....

ODD JOHN is a mutant--a member of a race known as "homo-superior" (sound familiar?) who discovers he is different from those around him and seeks his purpose in life--he travels the world, has encounters with other 'super-humans', and eventually takes over a south sea island nation, all the while being watched by governments that fear his powers, and the powers of those with him.... (sound REALLY familiar?) :rockon:

according to google, ODD JOHN is the first novel about a 'superman' and predates the comicbook character by about 2 years--although in terms of plot, it sounds to be the basis of just about every X-MEN story for the last decade or so.....

ODD JOHN is a mutant--a member of a race known as "homo-superior" (sound familiar?) who discovers he is different from those around him and seeks his purpose in life--he travels the world, has encounters with other 'super-humans', and eventually takes over a south sea island nation, all the while being watched by governments that fear his powers, and the powers of those with him.... (sound REALLY familiar?) :rockon:

And it was written by Chris Claremont.

:)

I recently got around to seeing the movie. I knew all the characters except for Dorian Gray. Does anyone know what book/story he was from?

Others have already posted relevant links, but I just want to add a few notes. In case you don't want to read the entire text (which I would recommend, btw-great book!) there are a few differences to observe between the book and his portrayal in the movie. I should start by saying that he was my favorite character in the movie, and the Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my favorite inspiration texts. Minor note, Dorian in the book is blonde and baby faced. As long as he's beautiful, the point is made fairly well. The major note is the fact that in the book, Dorian gazed upon his picture regularly. He was a truly depraved soulless creature who actually delighted after a time in the changes that occurred to the painting. This I didn't like. It would have worked just as well if Mina had destroyed the painting while Dorian watched and it would keep more of the legend intact. Oh well. One of my questions before the movie was how do they get Dorian to join the good guys? He is utterly unredeemable and without conscience. Why on earth would he be interested? Fortunately, that was answered. :)

Actually,Madstone,I always thought that destroying the painting broke the spell that kept Dorian immortal.After all,in the novel,Dorian stabbing the painting with a knife was what killed him.(And remember the climax of Phantom of the Paradise where destroying the film killed both Swan & the Phantom?)

Oh,and Madstone,I believe your avatar is from the anime series Hellsing-it's Alucard preparing to use the Cromwell Initiative,if I remember the anime correctly....

Thanks "Emerald Mask". If you hadn't mentioned "Gladiator" I was about to. "Odd John" was published in 1935, "Gladiator" in 1930. Both stories are by writers who should be read a lot more by S F readers today and whose works are well worth seeking out. While I don't know how available they might be ( I have noticed that Wylie's work, except for the novelizations of "When Worlds Collide" and its sequel can be hard to find) I think that a search for wither book would be worthwhile. Please let us know what you think of them when you read them !

Both stories are by writers who should be read a lot more by S F readers today and whose works are well worth seeking out. While I don't know how available they might be ( I have noticed that Wylie's work' date=' except for the novelizations of "When Worlds Collide" and its sequel can be hard to find)[/quote']

Wylie rules! I am promoting his "The Disappearance" in the Amazon Utopia thread.

Keith "Edwin Balmer is pretty good too, by extension" Curtis

Actually' date='Madstone,I always thought that destroying the painting broke the spell that kept Dorian immortal.After all,in the novel,Dorian stabbing the painting with a knife was what killed him.(And remember the climax of Phantom of the Paradise where destroying the film killed both Swan & the Phantom?) [/quote']

That's what I was trying to say, just a bit confusingly. If the painting was destroyed, all of the damage, age, sin, everything would instantly be transferred back to Dorian. Killing him just by forcing Dorian to look at his own picture? That destroyed the most pivotal element of the original story: he reveled in the painting's changes.

Oh,and Madstone,I believe your avatar is from the anime series Hellsing-it's Alucard preparing to use the Cromwell Initiative,if I remember the anime correctly....

Hey, good catch! I just discovered this series quite accidentally a few weeks ago, and I have become quite taken with it.

Having dorien destryed by merely looking at the picture is silly in the extreme, as he had i hanging on the stairs in his house when "M" stole it.

But the film is full of sillyness and i love it, in fact im going to get a couple of beers and watch right now ( and after Queen of the Damned ).

Why is Mr Hyde so more convincing as a hulk than HULK was, both character and special effects. Just curious, hes the best bit in the film IMHO.

according to google' date=' ODD JOHN is the first novel about a 'superman' and predates the comicbook character by about 2 years--although in terms of plot, it sounds to be the basis of just about every X-MEN story for the last decade or so.....[/quote']

Personally I'd go with Friedrich Nietzsche as the first author of anything considering a "super man"

Actually, Kuttner's Mutant is generally believed to be the inspiration for the X-Men -- it's mutants are called "baldies" (they lack hair), and have mental powers. Although I don't doubt Lee drew inspiration from a variety of sources. Mutant is hard to find (or, it was when I looked), but an interesting read if you can get your hands on it.

Having dorien destryed by merely looking at the picture is silly in the extreme, as he had i hanging on the stairs in his house when "M" stole it.

But the film is full of sillyness and i love it, in fact im going to get a couple of beers and watch right now ( and after Queen of the Damned ).

Indeed, sillyness abounds, and dramatic license is taken everywhere. I'm not sure why the portrait thing bothers me so much where there were much greater liberties taken. Perhaps it's because Dorian's inclusion fascinated me so much, and it was probably my favorite source book.

Why is Mr Hyde so more convincing as a hulk than HULK was, both character and special effects. Just curious, hes the best bit in the film IMHO.

Oh, that's easy. Hyde is a mixture of prosthetics and computer imagery, unlike the Hulk or Rampaging Red Man :) Sadly, the simple solutions are being overlooked because of CGI's addictive qualities these days. Hyde looks great, though, and interacts with his environment much better than the Hulk, imo.

BTW, anyone seen Van Helsing? (If you haven't, don't bother.) The Hyde there seemed almost directly stole from The League. In the very least inspired by.

Hyde looks great' date=' though, and interacts with his environment much better than the Hulk, imo.[/quote']

I had recently finished reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde before seeing League, and I was surprised to find that in the book, Mr. Hyde is described as a small, misshapen man. He was nowhere near the powerhouse seen in the movie.

BTW, anyone seen Van Helsing? (If you haven't, don't bother.) The Hyde there seemed almost directly stole from The League. In the very least inspired by.

Agreed, and Agreed. When I saw Hyde, the first thing I thought of was League.

I had recently finished reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde before seeing League, and I was surprised to find that in the book, Mr. Hyde is described as a small, misshapen man. He was nowhere near the powerhouse seen in the movie.

Agreed, and Agreed. When I saw Hyde, the first thing I thought of was League.

Yeah, in the novel, RLS' implication was that evil is weaker and smaller than good...

So what does it say about the American psyche that Hyde is always pictured by Hollywood as being immensely more powerful than Jekyll?

Why is Mr Hyde so more convincing as a hulk than HULK was' date=' both character and special effects. Just curious, hes the best bit in the film IMHO.[/quote']

Because it's not supposed to be, "The Madder Hulk Gets, The TALLER Hulk Gets!!!"?

Guest WhammeWhamme

Yeah, in the novel, RLS' implication was that evil is weaker and smaller than good...

So what does it say about the American psyche that Hyde is always pictured by Hollywood as being immensely more powerful than Jekyll?

Not a lot.

Hyde isn't scary when he's just some tiny little psycho. It's just the use to which he is put.

Besides. Jekyll was shrinking, and Hyde was growing, towards then end, right?

Not a lot.

Hyde isn't scary when he's just some tiny little psycho. It's just the use to which he is put.

Besides. Jekyll was shrinking, and Hyde was growing, towards then end, right?

Hmmm... I hadn't remembered that last bit, guess I'll have to go reread the story...

And, personally, I've always found tiny little psychos to be way scarier than big, lumbering monsters...