Jedi Ghosts and fade-to-deaths?

Sociotard

How do we write up the jedi ability to be absorbed by the force on death? Extra dimensional movement?

What about becoming a force-spirit on dying? Resurrection? Multiform?

"They may take our lives, but they'll never find our bodies!" - If Braveheart had been a Jedi.

Re: Jedi Ghosts and fade-to-deaths?

Transform, physical being to spirit, self only, one charge that never recovers, trigger (death), must be untainted by the Dark Side.

Um, about 13 points assuming 10 BODY and no power defense. Most likely the Jedi would buy this out of expierence after becomeing a Master.

I just asked because I just glanced through the official Star Wars (d20 version). They said a jedi character could opt to do it if they had at least 10 'force points' still on 'em when they died. Or something to that effect.

I'll agree that force-spirits should be NPC's, so it makes sense for that aspect of this to be deemed "plot device". I'm not so sure about the fade-out effect. It seem's like the ability to make your body vanish without a trace upon dying would be fairly valuable.

I'm really wondering why Qui Gon didn't get to fade away. He was a good jedi.

Maybe Qwi Gon wasn't strong enough in the Force to fade away. Yoda was a Jedi master. Obi Wan probably became more attuned to the Force living in Tatooine, so he may well have been qualified to be considered a master, even if nobody was around to confer that title on him.

I just asked because I just glanced through the official Star Wars (d20 version). They said a jedi character could opt to do it if they had at least 10 'force points' still on 'em when they died. Or something to that effect.

I'll agree that force-spirits should be NPC's, so it makes sense for that aspect of this to be deemed "plot device". I'm not so sure about the fade-out effect. It seem's like the ability to make your body vanish without a trace upon dying would be fairly valuable.

In my write up, the power for this requires concentration (0 DCV) on the part of the Jedi. Basically, it has to be a deliberate decision. Qui Gon was not expecting to get burned down, so no GBPD. (Glowing Blue Plot Device).

I think it's actually a very valuble power. Especially in the context of the original trilogy. Obi Wan did it so that he could continue to help and guide Luke. Yoda, and Anakin for the same reason. Luke, being the only Jedi left alive in the galaxy, needed that guidance.

My impression was that this was an ability discovered between the trilogies, that when Obi Wan did this, Vader didn't even know what had happened.

Bad script. Or more to the point, George felt he could sell a character ascending to spiritual form to '70s moviegoers, but not to '90s moviegoers.

Sorry, can't really think of a plausible in-story rationale.

I've always been of the opinion that only a Jedi Master fades away.

Vader did not fade away. His body was still there after he died. It was his spirit that stayed around. Qwi Gon Jin's spirit didn't stay around because he didn't need to stay. Obi Wan had already reached the end of his padawan training and just needed to under go the trials to become a full Jedi, and Anakin was his charge... now Qwi Gon's.

The reason Obi Wan and Yoda stayed around was to continue Luke's instruction to help him become a Master Jedi. Anakin stayed to straighten things out with his son and daughter so he could find peace (if you've ever read the books you'd know what I'm talking about).

I've always been of the opinion that only a Jedi Master fades away.

Vader did not fade away. His body was still there after he died. It was his spirit that stayed around. Qwi Gon Jin's spirit didn't stay around because he didn't need to stay. Obi Wan had already reached the end of his padawan training and just needed to under go the trials to become a full Jedi, and Anakin was his charge... now Qwi Gon's.

The reason Obi Wan and Yoda stayed around was to continue Luke's instruction to help him become a Master Jedi. Anakin stayed to straighten things out with his son and daughter so he could find peace (if you've ever read the books you'd know what I'm talking about).

Vader did fade away. Lucas has made statements that Vader faded away soon after he died. Although it was not presented on screen.

TB

• 4 years later...

Qui Gon did stick around. In Episode 3, Yoda tells Obi Wan that Qui Gon came and spoke to him about how he has learnt to separate his self-force from the rest-of-the-universe-force when he has something to say. We just never see it because then they'd need to hire back the same actor for all of two seconds of the film. It was easier to just have Yoda say "'Oh, by the way, Obi Wan, your dead master's a ghost now. He's totally haunting my stuff."

According to EU, Anakin's ghost is still around decades later. Mind you, EU sources also claim that Tag & Bink (two incompetent ex-jedi) and Skippy the jedi droid are jedi ghosts, I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

Because he didn't have 18-20 years (however old Luke was when Kenobi died) to learn to perfect the ability before he snuffed it. Remember he was the first to develop the ability in living memory. Yoda had to learn how to do it from him. Presumably he didn't know all about it and Yoda and Kenobi got a chance to advance his ideas in the interim. BTW the fact that he wasn't on the Jedi council is just another hint of how clueless those losers were. :thumbdown

at the end of return of the jedi Darth Vader becomes a ghost and he was tainted by the dark side

I'd add also redeemed to the light side

Transform, physical being to spirit, self only, one charge that never recovers, trigger (death), must be untainted by the Dark Side.

Um, about 13 points assuming 10 BODY and no power defense. Most likely the Jedi would buy this out of expierence after becomeing a Master.

Because he didn't have 18-20 years (however old Luke was when Kenobi died) to learn to perfect the ability before he snuffed it. Remember he was the first to develop the ability in living memory. Yoda had to learn how to do it from him. Presumably he didn't know all about it and Yoda and Kenobi got a chance to advance his ideas in the interim. BTW the fact that he wasn't on the Jedi council is just another hint of how clueless those losers were. :thumbdown

Yes because Qui Gon's decision to train Anakin Skywalker, and Obi Wan's decision to honour Qui Gon's decision, despite the Jedi Council forbidding it worked out so well for the Republic. :rolleyes:

Actually' date='I'd write up the "Jedi Ghost' ability as a limited (but high active points) type of Multiform.Transform isn't supposed to affect the user,after all......[/quote']

But if it was a multiform, wouldn't that imply the ability to turn back? Obi Wan, Yoda and the rest are permanently Force ghosts after all.

Yes because Qui Gon's decision to train Anakin Skywalker' date=' and Obi Wan's decision to honour Qui Gon's decision, despite the Jedi Council forbidding it worked out so well for the Republic. :rolleyes:[/quote']

I personally think that had Qui Gon lived, Anakin would have brought about balance without destroying everything good in the Galaxy.

Qui-Gon training Anakin was the path taken away.

TB

The Weapon[/b]]

Yes because Qui Gon's decision to train Anakin Skywalker, and Obi Wan's decision to honour Qui Gon's decision, despite the Jedi Council forbidding it worked out so well for the Republic. :rolleyes:

It might have if the council had actually helped out with his training. Then again perhaps not, after all Yoda trained Doku. But at least Qui Gon was trying to do something about someone perhaps going to be the most powerful being in the galaxy. What were the council going to do, just leave him out there for the Sith to pick up? I mean we know the Sith know about him or soon will. So what's the plan for keeping him safe? Well nothing really. What's the plan for stopping the Sith turning him? Again, nothing really. Even when they make a decision they allow a comparatively junior Jedi effectively overrule it. So they get the worst of both world's, Anakin is trained enough to be dangerous and given a reason to distrust the Jedi council. There was fear in that council room, but it was the council's not Anakin's that was the problem.

It might have if the council had actually helped out with his training. Then again perhaps not' date=' after all Yoda trained Doku. But at least Qui Gon was trying to do something about someone perhaps going to be the most powerful being in the galaxy. What were the council going to do, just leave him out there for the Sith to pick up? I mean we know the Sith know about him or soon will. So what's the plan for keeping him safe? Well nothing really. What's the plan for stopping the Sith turning him? Again, nothing really. Even when they make a decision they allow a comparatively junior Jedi effectively overrule it. So they get the worst of both world's, Anakin is trained enough to be dangerous and given a reason to distrust the Jedi council. There was fear in that council room, but it was the council's not Anakin's that was the problem.[/quote']

But he never would've become trained enough to be dangerous if Qui Gon and Obi Wan hadn't disobeyed the council in the first place. The Council flat out told them that it would be a bad idea to train Anakin which is borne out when Anakin actually, y'know helping to wipe out the Republic and all.

Plus, the fact that Obi Wan pretty much admits it's his own fault in the original movies leads me to belive that that is the case.

Obi-Wan blamed himself, which isn't neccessarily the same as being the one at fault.

There were several points at which Anakin's fall could have been prevented. And the Jedi council (or individual masters) universally did the worst possible thing every time. Which makes me think Darth Siddeous had his mental hooks into everyone on the Jedi council as well.

This, of course, means that the fledgling Emperor was even more powerful than we all thought just from watching the movies. And the defeat of the Jedi was like the last move in a chess game. They'd already lost before the Emperor even let them know they were even in danger.