Supervillain Organizations In Your Town

Dr. Anomaly

On the way back from Office Depot this morning, I saw a sign for a local construction company. It was a sign I've seen dozens (if not hundreds) of times before, but never given it a second thought. Today, it struck me right between the eyes. What's the name of this construction company?

Coil Construction

That got me thinking...what other, real world companies in my town could be 'legitimate' business fronts (based on their names, I mean) for Champions supervillains or villainous organizations? I'm not sure, since I was almost home when I saw the sign, but I plan to keep a look-out when I can remember to do so.

Has anyone else noticed an villainous organizations getting a foothold in their own real-world home town?

Re: Supervillain Organizations In Your Town

Just after 9/11 I noticed a warehouse suddenly become very active. t is tucked away in the industrial corner of Hoboken away from most any traffic. At first it was tractor trailers being parked along the side of the road in a spot with a clear view of downtown New York. Then the warehouse really started getting active, always in the middle of the night, with unmarked tractor trailers loading and unloading mysterious cargo. It it always closed during the day.

Recently the trucks have been marked with "CTX". I still say it's a secret government operation of some kind. :D

Just after 9/11 I noticed a warehouse suddenly become very active. t is tucked away in the industrial corner of Hoboken away from most any traffic. At first it was tractor trailers being parked along the side of the road in a spot with a clear view of downtown New York. Then the warehouse really started getting active, always in the middle of the night, with unmarked tractor trailers loading and unloading mysterious cargo. It it always closed during the day.

Recently the trucks have been marked with "CTX". I still say it's a secret government operation of some kind. :D

That's probably CTX Trucking. Of course, the whole company is probably a government front. ;)

CTX

I seem to recall making a joke about my hero applying at "Home Base" before he found out it was a hardware seller. And the local "Smurfitt" corporation would seem to be run by little blue people. But I can't say I've seen much villainy going on locally.

It means they are aware of my presence and I'm doing a good job.

A few miles north of where I live, there is a miniature golf course.

It's been there years before there was anything else developed in the area... before the urban sprawl caught up to it, it was literally surrounded by cornfields.

It's far more lavishly appointed than any other miniature golf course I can remember seeing anywhere. And it's not abandoned -- regular groundskeeping and maintenance are obviously being kept up with.

It's never, ever, *EVER* open. No matter what time of the day I drive by, or how many times in a week (with one exception), there are never any cars in the parking lot, and there are never any people playing.

And yet it's been there almost 20 years w/o going broke.

The one time we ever noticed cars parked there was around 6:30am on a Sunday morning. Once. And there was still nobody on the course.

I have spent most of my life wondering WTF is going on with that place, but I've never known, and am most likely never gonna know. So far, the two top theories are either that the local organized crime outfit uses it for a drop point, or it's a CIA safe house.

In Eastern TN, I find myself noticing buildings more than names of companies.

For example, what the heck IS the Sunsphere in Knoxville really for? Holding wigs? HA! That's what the Simpsons would want you to believe. Obviously, it's a large mind control amplification device that was never triggered (And tip of hat to whatever hero stopped it). Either that, or it is a MIB sort of situation, and the Sphere is actually a space ship ready to return home at any time.

Oh, and if that Aluminum plant in Alcoa isn't a cover for ARGENT, I don't know what is.

I suspect Lookout Mountain in Chatanooga has a secret PRIMUS base built in.

And of course, how many times have you seen this sticker on a car - "Protected by VIPER" ?

If I'm a car thief, no way am I ripping that car off! :angst:

That's hilarious! Still, I have a couple thief villains who'd try it just for the thrill.

Funny you should mention buildings. One of the guys in my game group is a co-worker. Across the street from work is a big old Masonic Lodge that has been closed for many years before we moved into the neighborhood. It was old, drafty, and in addition to the typical cryptic masonic markings and somewhat gothic architecture, there were painted markings on the sidewalk that I looked up on the internet and discovered were also masonic symbols.

One day, lights appeared inside he building. Then there were people going in and out, mostly singly. We had a running joke about the four story building suddenly being taken over by cultists.

Unfortunately, it turned out there were just turning it into some sort of part of the performing arts center, but for about six months it looked like evil was afoot.

Hey, my PC's *are* the supervillains in town ;)

There are two buildings in town I've always jokingly made villain fronts -- a certain doctor's office complex with the address of 666, and "D&D Construction".

There's another, more recent development around here I'm using in my campaign, but the players haven't found it yet so I have to spoiler text it. "Quote" this post and read between the spoiler tags.

/spoiler on

/spoiler off

As for heroic fronts... Hey, we have the real Hall of Justice in Cincinnati, what else do you want?

The CN Tower in Toronto is of course the tallest and most visible landmark in the city. At night it has a rotating searchlight at its peak warning away aircraft, like many tall buildings. One particular night, though, I noticed the tower projecting a single powerful beam of light straight up through the clouds. It maintained it that way for at least an hour.

Many people in the city saw that, and the next day the talk radio shows and water-cooler chat was full of speculation over who - or what - it was signalling to. ;)

A few miles north of where I live' date=' there is a miniature golf course.[/quote']

Funny thing...a few blocks from where I live, there's also a strange miniature golf course. It's small and not lavish at all, but it's always well-kept-up, and it's never open. My friends and I have also joked that it's being maintained by organized crime for some nefarious purpose. :)

RE: Strange Golf Courses. Actually, I'm aware of the circumstances behind a similar case not far from here. It was a miniature golf course ("Putt Putt" is a registered trademark, I believe) attached to a union park. The groundskeeper for the course was a retired union bigwig and his contract actually stated that he would continue to be paid for X amount of years even if the park got closed, as long as he was taking care of it.

Park got closed -- so no one could play there -- but he continued taking care of it so the union had to continue paying him.

Hey, my PC's *are* the supervillains in town ;)

There are two buildings in town I've always jokingly made villain fronts -- a certain doctor's office complex with the address of 666, and "D&D Construction".

There's another, more recent development around here I'm using in my campaign, but the players haven't found it yet so I have to spoiler text it. "Quote" this post and read between the spoiler tags.

/spoiler on

/spoiler off

As for heroic fronts... Hey, we have the real Hall of Justice in Cincinnati, what else do you want?

Cincy also has a few Stronghold self-service storage facilities. I dunno, those prefab building look kinda flimsy to me.

For the record, I live in central Missouri (Columbia) so I don't think "my" miniature golf place is the same as any already mentioned. :)

Now, since several of us have mentioned having these strange miniature golf places around, the conspiracy theorist in me is starting to wonder...are these really a network of places scattered across the country, all maintained by the same shadowy organization for some unguessable purpose?

(Does anyone else remember Highways in Hiding by George O. Smith?)

We had a funny little pawn shop down in South Carolina - it was ONLY open Monday-Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM! And they NEVER sold anything at face value, as soon as you walked in and looked at something they'd offer you a deal ranging from 20% to 50% off the already-low prices. Like they didnt' need to make money. Got a couple cool things there - when I could take off time from work just to go!