The Mystic World

Tclynch

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Mystic World

Well, I've just about stopped buying from my LGS as I can get what I want faster and cheaper online. I do buy the occasional magazine or accessory there. I also demo many games there as well. Finished Mystic World, btw. Worth the wait and I'd as B+!

I just completed reading mine as well. I would give the writing an A, presentation a B, Artwork a C. I guess that is an overall grade of B. The art, imo, over the last few books has really pulled the quality of the books down. The artwork in TMW just is not enspiring and does not seem to have a superhero feel to it. Most of the artwork is generic and would seem to fit in any game book. It should be superhero-centric, imo, as it is a Champions product.

(Raises hand)

Mr. Long or Mr. Shomshak, it says all the legendary gods live in the Land of Legends, but doesn't say anything about interactions between them and the gods of alien races. Is there something that makes this unlikely or is that in an upcoming supplement? Just curious. :hex:

I must lodge a protest about the ruthless teasing in The Mystic World. All the hints and taunts about characters in Arcane Enemies has given me a temporary PsychLim: Must acquire Arcane Enemies(Uncommon, Total). I swear, I can almost hear the Dragon whispering in my ear, "Get it, get it." :winkgrin:

Look for my review on RPG.net! :)

When did you submit it ? Its absence on the site is so far blatant

Besides, does anyone know how high-level mystical master villians (Tyrannon the Conqueror, Skarn the Shaper, the Kings of Edom, Dr. Yin...) are going to be apportioned among Mystic World, Arcane Adversaries, and DEMON ? I really long to lengthen the roost of fully-detailed CU personally-uberpowerful MV, besides the Fab Four (Dr. Destroyer, Mechanon, Menton, Takofanes) and their GC couterparts (Arcane, Sovreign, Examiner, Supernova).

does anyone know how high-level mystical master villians (Tyrannon the Conqueror, Skarn the Shaper, the Kings of Edom, Dr. Yin...) are going to be apportioned among Mystic World, Arcane Adversaries, and DEMON?

Yes, in fact, someone does. :hex:

TMW has Skarn the Shaper, Tyrannon, and the Dragon.

AA has the Kings of Edom. The other master villain-level characters it has would be Tezcatlipoca, and perhaps Patriarch.

DEMON has no master villains specifically, other than perhaps its founder/leader and some of the Inner Circle members. None of them is constructed in quite the same fashion as your typical comic book mystic master villain, though.

Dr. Yin Wu I am saving for elsewhen and elsewhere. ;)

How about for a book detailing the Far East in the CU. I seem to recall years ago, there was going to be a book called Champions of the Rising Sun, similar to the book focused on England and its superheroes.

How about for a book detailing the Far East in the CU. I seem to recall years ago' date=' there was going to be a book called Champions of the Rising Sun, similar to the book focused on England and its superheroes.[/quote']

Seems like that would be a neat idea. A dual-genre source book. Surely there would nifty stuff that could cross over into Ninja Hero as well as Champions.

Cat

How about for a book detailing the Far East in the CU. I seem to recall years ago' date=' there was going to be a book called Champions of the Rising Sun, similar to the book focused on England and its superheroes.[/quote']

Blame it on myself...I had the ideal, but was to lazie to do it. I did toss the ideal to others (as in "would it be cool"). It was supose to be the Japan soursebook (prehaps focusing on Tokyo, and some short bits about Hirishima, Nagasaki, Osaka, and that island Karate was created in...I forgot the name), but I was a nobody...and today, I only have one Digital Hero artical publish, so I doubt that I could write the darn thing.

Yes, in fact, someone does. :hex:

TMW has Skarn the Shaper, Tyrannon, and the Dragon.

AA has the Kings of Edom. The other master villain-level characters it has would be Tezcatlipoca, and perhaps Patriarch.

DEMON has no master villains specifically, other than perhaps its founder/leader and some of the Inner Circle members. None of them is constructed in quite the same fashion as your typical comic book mystic master villain, though.

Thanks Boss, and if I may further inquiry...

Are TMW and AA master villains going to be suitable as Hunted (for high-end cosmic characters/campaigns, of course), or do they just Hunt the whole Earth Dimension ? And in the former case, what is their rough point/power level (admitting it is not uncountable). From CU history, the Kings of Edom look like your "Armageddon" Lovecraftian cosmic baddies, with Skarn and Tyrannon trailing not too far behind...

Dragon, Tezcatlipoca and Patriarch I do not know anything about. Sigh, I bet this is the downside of being a recent 5th Ed. convert.

Dragon' date=' Tezcatlipoca and Patriarch I do not know anything about. Sigh, I bet this is the downside of being a recent 5th Ed. convert.[/quote']

Humm...the only "Dragon" I know worthy of mystical adventures is Ryu No Yuri (Lady Heart's version of Luna), and the Death Dragon. I guess The Dragon is some new threat, and not eveyone's favret Mortal Kombat sponcer.

Tezcatlipoca? My guess is that he is the Azteck god of Death.

Patriarch? Must be the father of some sort of mystical order.

Are TMW and AA master villains going to be suitable as Hunted (for high-end cosmic characters/campaigns, of course), or do they just Hunt the whole Earth Dimension ? And in the former case, what is their rough point/power level (admitting it is not uncountable). From CU history, the Kings of Edom look like your "Armageddon" Lovecraftian cosmic baddies, with Skarn and Tyrannon trailing not too far behind...

Dragon, Tezcatlipoca and Patriarch I do not know anything about. Sigh, I bet this is the downside of being a recent 5th Ed. convert.

Some of the master villains make excellent Hunteds for an individual character. I could definitely see Skarn and Tezcatlipoca in that role. Tyrannon and the Kings of Edom don't strike me as filling that sort of role, but I suppose it really depends on the character's background.

The Dragon really wouldn't Hunt someone directly, given its nature -- but the gods know it has enough Followers and disciples to make anyone just plain hate life. Chief among these is Patriarch, who in and of himself is a pretty dangerous Hunted without the Dragon's backing, being as how he leads the Sylvestri family.

In short... there's lots of Hunted potential in TMW and AA, I deem. :hex:

Tezcatlipoca? My guess is that he is the Azteck god of Death.

Nope, that'd be Mictlantecuhtli. Tezcatlipoca is the Aztec god of darkness, night, and sorcery. He and his Nagual cultists definitely aren't to be taken lightly... though fortunately it takes a lot to allow him to manifest bodily on Earth.

Nope' date=' that'd be Mictlantecuhtli. Tezcatlipoca is the Aztec god of darkness, night, and sorcery. He and his Nagual cultists definitely aren't to be taken lightly... though fortunately it takes a lot to allow him to manifest bodily on Earth.[/quote']

Ahh, Tezcatlipoca. Lord of the Obsidian Mirror, father of were-jaguars, patron of assassins and all who work evil under cover of darkness, Lord of the Gods and King of Evil, the Enemy of Man -- and that's what the Aztecs called him when they were trying to be respectful. I mean, he was BAD. His usual avatar was to appear as a monstrous giant skeleton, tatters of bloody flesh hanging from his limbs and his ribcage hanging open with the organs pumping away inside. He'd chase you down and tear out your heart -- unless you dared reach inside his chest and rip his out first. Ah, Aztec mythology could make TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE look like a PBS special.

Thanks, Steve, for bringing in the greatest of the Aztec gods. Give American mythology a chance and all that -- and ol' Tezzy has long been one of my favorite mythical beings.

Knowing this, I'll probably have to bring in some kind of Quetzalcoatl -- Feathered Serpent character at some point to balance against the King of Night.

Sigh. Now I simply gotta get AA too! Oh well, I was planning too anyway...

And his Nagual cultists (who I'll assume are shapeshifters, that being the usual translation of nagualli, Aztec/Mexican witchcraft), might they be related to the Champs universe version of Sierra del Muerte (lit. "Nation of Death"), a weird Mexican/Hispanic outfit that combines demands for the return of the American Southwest with a desire to revive the old Aztec religion? As a side note, I understand some lunatic tries to bring back the Old Gods every decade or so down Mexico way, human sacrifices and all. You might want to reconsider that trip to Cancun...

Oh yes, as we've been shown characters of differeing magical traditions in the Champs Universe (I'm thinking the Wiccan shop owner and her Kabbalist neighbor in _Let's Go To The Maul_), are real-world magical traditions covered in The Mystic World? I.e., Wicca, Norse runecutting, Christian/Jewish Kabbalism, alchemy, shamanism, et multiple cetera.

I know it's not a really 'superheroish' thing, but it might be nice to know just how the various traditions relate to the whole spandex crowd.

are real-world magical traditions covered in The Mystic World

No, that's the sort of thing you'll find in The Ultimate Mystic.

In fact, knowing Dean's work, and knowing some of the questions he's asked me, I'm willing to bet you'll find at least a few magical traditions you've never heard of before (or at least don't know much about). ;)

Humm...the only "Dragon" I know worthy of mystical adventures is Ryu No Yuri (Lady Heart's version of Luna)' date=' and the Death Dragon. I guess The Dragon is some new threat, and [i']not[/i] eveyone's favret Mortal Kombat sponcer.

The Dragon isn't exactly new; it was detailed in the 4E Ultimate Super Mage, and is updated and expanded, along with its minions, in The Mystic World. It actually is tied to the Death Dragon - the DD is merely one aspect/avatar of The Dragon.

The Dragon is the Old Serpent, the primordial source of all evil on Earth. It's been symbolized in terrible serpentine/draconian forms in the myths of many cultures throughout history. Tiamat, Apep, Vritra, Ahriman, Satan; it's all of them and more.

As you might imagine, in the Mystic World this is one very heavy hitter. :fear:

When did you submit it ? Its absence on the site is so far blatant

Besides, does anyone know how high-level mystical master villians (Tyrannon the Conqueror, Skarn the Shaper, the Kings of Edom, Dr. Yin...) are going to be apportioned among Mystic World, Arcane Adversaries, and DEMON ? I really long to lengthen the roost of fully-detailed CU personally-uberpowerful MV, besides the Fab Four (Dr. Destroyer, Mechanon, Menton, Takofanes) and their GC couterparts (Arcane, Sovreign, Examiner, Supernova).

Hopefully, it will be on RPG.net this Monday. :winkgrin: