Has anyone played in a game like this...

Polaris

Hiya,

A friend of mine had an idea a short time ago about us making ourselves in Hero, and then going on an adventure. It would either be a 'horror' story, or possibly the country is invaded (like the movie "Red Dawn"). The game never got going. Has anyone tried to play themself in a game, and if so, how did it work out?

Polaris

Re: Has anyone played in a game like this...

Many years ago our group played ourselves in a "Red Dawn" type game using Gamma World. The USSR invaded the US and we sort of became the "Wolverines". I was taken out by a 50cal mounted on a Russian tank, while we were attempting to cross a city street. This was in the 2nd or 3rd session of that game. :weep:

Like Enforcer, I also played myself for V&V ... in fact, the character's still alive and well in my own campaign ;) We also played ourselves in a GURPS Horror campaign ... but it only lasted one session before the superhero bug bit us again.

Hiya,

A friend of mine had an idea a short time ago about us making ourselves in Hero, and then going on an adventure. It would either be a 'horror' story, or possibly the country is invaded (like the movie "Red Dawn"). The game never got going. Has anyone tried to play themself in a game, and if so, how did it work out?

Polaris

I did play in a campaign where we had the option of playing ourselves or playing a fictional character. Out of the 8 players, 6 chose to play themselves and 2 chose to play fictional characters. The premise was that people in our city, for a reason we didn't find out, started to develop superpowers. We wrote up rough Hero versions of what we wanted our superpowered self to be; however, the GM created the actual write-ups of the characters himself and we never actually saw them. This allowed to play out the discovery of our new powers and to have a realistic sense of doubt about whether or not we be able to do something. The campaign was probably more similar to Wild Cards rather than comic books in that there were supers of various levels of ability and one of the main threads of the campaign was the effect that superpowered people were having on society. The campaign ran for several months until the GM had to move and went very well. There was much more non-combat roleplaying than combat and a large emphasis on what characters were doing individually.

Rod

I played in a game like this once, where we got to build ourselves with superpowers.

Honestly, the game sucked, but it was a bad group with a GM more interested in telling a story than arbitrating a game.

With a good group of players and a patient GM, it could be quite entertaining I'd suspect.

We played in a group that were of ourselves, we were torn apart limb from limb by killer undead prior to being devoured.

I sound so pathetic when I am reduced to mere numbers on a sheet of paper. Luckily, I was the last to perish among the inferiors.

I would be ... wary of running a game like this, simply because of one of my players. His characters (when he isn't playing himself) tend to be 'himself, exaggerated', which takes his already low-self-esteem-ridden personality and turn it into a loud, insulting, blustering, arrogant blowhard jerk ... which means that there's a good chance that the villains would all target him, and things would get ugly. "Why won't the cops help me?" "Because you walked up and said, 'Hey, doughnut boy, gimme yer $*@(ing radio for a minute', then threatened him when he said no. In short, your character is acting like a jerk, so he's not getting any help." "Oh, so you think I'm a jerk?"

There's also the matter of assigning Disadvantages, especially Psychological Limitations. Most people are very ... touchy about their drawbacks. And, really, I don't think he'd appreciate "Loud and Obnoxious" on the character sheet. Now, me ... I can admit some of my flaws. I would have "Insecure/Underconfident" on mine in a heartbeat, along with "Smartass" and "Annoyed by Willful Stupidity".

Segue:

I started a Silver Age Sentinels d20 game a while back (the book was a gift and I didn't have FREd yet), and he supposedly wasn't playing himself. Well, in the initial fight, there was an SUV that was intended for getaway purposes. He, and another PC, blew out the tires. It was on grass, it wasn't going *anywhere* ... but there were six gun-toting mooks near it.

So he basically blasted it and scissored it in half, despite the fact that it already wasn't going anywhere and the damage dealt was easily reparable. He never *said*, but I think he was trying to blow it up, which would have killed them all (He just does *not* get Silver Age mentality). Anyway, the guy whose it was (it was stolen) declares lawsuit, so he changes his name and costume the very next day.

When I converted the characters to a 5E Hero game, I slapped "Runs From Responsibility" on the sheet. He looked quite hurt, but I explained it to him in exacting detail. He did something wrong, and he's not even attempting restitutions. Not that it actually DID anything, but ...

End Segue.

He's one of those friends that can alternate from being a great guy to being a great big pain in the butt depending on how the last week's gone for him. You know the type.

We called them "Mutant Runs". You were you. There was an event. Now you're a super, or it's post-apocalypse, or what-have-you. Often, we didn't have actual write-ups, and it was all free-form.

Problem is, you have to have fairly good self-esteem to want to play yourself. Often, it's not as escapist as other genres.

Wow... apparently a number of people had this "unique" idea... LOL! :)

My next question is: How do you regulate character creation? Some of the players wanted to give themselves things that they really do not have (although they think they do).

Polaris

Wow... apparently a number of people had this "unique" idea... LOL! :)

My next question is: How do you regulate character creation? Some of the players wanted to give themselves things that they really do not have (although they think they do).

Polaris

When it comes to skills, having a basic understanding of something gives you a FAM (you've read a great deal about it), having an extensive knowlege grants a KS (you've taken a few classes or done some major studying on your own), if you have a degree you get the 3 Point Skill (for each rank above Bachelors you get 2 more points in that skill).

As far as STR And such go, how much can you honestly deadlift? can you lift a 200lb person and and throw him? Then you get a STR of 10. Do you get hurt easily by Punches and kicks? Put an extra point or two in PD. Taken any Martial Arts? Buy a manuever or two and a FAM with the Style, and depending on how long you've spent on it, up your Dex by a point. Do you have good reflexes? Boost it another point or two. How far can you run in a Minute? How easily does it tire you out? Buy up or down your STR Accordingly and figure if it requires more END. Do you tire easily? Lower your END. How fast do you recover from being hurt or tired? Up your Rec. Just use common sense.

Are you a super-taster or do you pick on odors more than other people? Do you have excellent hearing? Buy a +1 with PER in those senses. Are you one of the people that can hear a dog-whistle (I can barely). Buy Ultrasonic hearing. Are you one of those people that are very anal about placing things and immediately notice when something has been moved? buy a +1 PER for Sight.

Are you a Speed Reader? Buy Speed Reading. Can you recall useless facts? Buy Eidetic Memory with a penalty: Only useless facts -0. Are you Multilingual? Buy Language Skills. Do you have a Hobby? Buy a Professional Skill. It's amazing how many 1 Point FAM and 2 Point KS's a person picks up during their life.. I think I'd have maybe 15 to 20 points in various FAM and KS's *shrug*

I ran a brief but enjoyable Super Agents campaign long ago where the players all had to imagine their lives over the next ten years leading them to become UNTIL agents. Everyone played themselves, but with an additional ten years (we were in High School, or just out of it, I can't recall exactly) to 'acquire' skills, train physically, etc. It was really fun - everyone was honest about their shortcomings and Psychological Limitations, but the decade of additional 'history' allowed everyone to downplay their weaknesses and amplify their strengths, so their characters became idealized versions of themselves.

I played myself in V&V but I got a disadvantage that made me mute. I played that way, it was kind of fun. I find that the hardest part when it comes down to stats for your character is generally in regard to intelligence and dexterity. Most people like to think of themselves as smart, usually this was handled by the other players writing down the int score and taking the average. Dexterity is tricky because some people like to think of themselves as having catlike reflexes, when everyone with a brain can see that they do not. I would keep a foam ball handy for this one. Luckily I would only have one or two players that would disbute the dex. I would look at them and say, "Do you really think that you have reflexes that good?" When they said yes I would toss the ball at them without warning. If they caught it, then, I would allow the dex.