Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I understand. Do you understand why it seems strange to some of us that making jokes about killing and/or torturing animals is strictly forbidden but that it is okay to make jokes about killing and/or torturing people?

Because animals are in some way considered 'innocent' or undeserving of such treatment. It's not totally logical, but humans are sentimental that way. Again, I don't think macabre jokes should be forbidden, but some things I don't joke about.

JG

Because animals are in some way considered 'innocent' or undeserving of such treatment. It's not totally logical, but humans are sentimental that way. Again, I don't think macabre jokes should be forbidden, but some things I don't joke about.

JG

I hate to harp on this, mostly because I think it's a silly, silly topic that we as a species don't treat with any consistency, BUT... have you seen the life of just about ANY factory farm animal? We get all mad because people make jokes about hurting a cat, and a pig's life is one long pit of suck. Dairy cows endure horrors galore. But we like ice cream and we love bacon, so f-'em. If Bessie the cow could warm our hearts by frolicsome play with a laser pointer, we might feel differently, but we don't, so tag her ear, chain her to the feed trough, give her shots all the damned time, shoot a bolt into her head, and slap her ass on the grill.

Poor, poor kitty. I love my cats, and I love my bacon. I'm inconsistent in my values.

I hate to harp on this, mostly because I think it's a silly, silly topic that we as a species don't treat with any consistency, BUT... have you seen the life of just about ANY factory farm animal? We get all mad because people make jokes about hurting a cat, and a pig's life is one long pit of suck. Dairy cows endure horrors galore. But we like ice cream and we love bacon, so f-'em. If Bessie the cow could warm our hearts by frolicsome play with a laser pointer, we might feel differently, but we don't, so tag her ear, chain her to the feed trough, give her shots all the damned time, shoot a bolt into her head, and slap her ass on the grill.

Poor, poor kitty. I love my cats, and I love my bacon. I'm inconsistent in my values.

Cats are raised as companions. Pigs are (for the most part) raised as a food source. I don't see any inconsistency in treating them differently.

Heck, I don't see treating pigs who are raised as a food source differently than pigs who are raised as a companion as being inconsistent.

Cats are raised as companions. Pigs are (for the most part) raised as a food source. I don't see any inconsistency in treating them differently.

Heck, I don't see treating pigs who are raised as a food source differently than pigs who are raised as a companion as being inconsistent.

I'd say it's one of the many double standards that we live with (and in some cases have to live with). We favor loved ones over enemies, pets over food animals, members of our own self identified groups over outsiders. Sometimes we expand the circle of the "we", sometimes we contract it. Sometimes we pretend not to make the distinction at all, because it causes cognative dissonance to admit that yes, the welfare of our own loved ones really is more important to us that the welfare of random strangers, who in turn may count more or less according to the group affiliations we share. When aware of these biases, sometimes we try to be "fair".

We have to organize, and someone will end up on the bottom; we have to eat, and something is going to be eaten. Our layers of rationalization and deal making build from there.

I'd say it's one of the many double standards that we live with (and in some cases have to live with). We favor loved ones over enemies, pets over food animals, members of our own self identified groups over outsiders. Sometimes we expand the circle of the "we", sometimes we contract it. Sometimes we pretend not to make the distinction at all, because it causes cognative dissonance to admit that yes, the welfare of our own loved ones really is more important to us that the welfare of random strangers, who in turn may count more or less according to the group affiliations we share. When aware of these biases, sometimes we try to be "fair".

We have to organize, and someone will end up on the bottom; we have to eat, and something is going to be eaten. Our layers of rationalization and deal making build from there.

I don't see that it is even a double standard. Or if it is then putting restrictions the freedoms of criminals (incarceration, loss of the right to own firearms, etc) is a double standard as well. Which is to say that to my mind if eating animals raised as food while caring for animals raised as companions is a double standard, then the term is so watered down as to no longer have any meaning.

I don't see that it is even a double standard. Or if it is then putting restrictions the freedoms of criminals (incarceration' date=' loss of the right to own firearms, etc) is a double standard as well.[/quote']

Sure, it looks like one to a criminal.

Which is to say that to my mind if eating animals raised as food while caring for animals raised as companions is a double standard, then the term is so watered down as to no longer have any meaning.

Actually, I pretty much agree. I think it is a double standard, but I have no problem with it. Yes, we treat members of Group A one way and Group B another; and in some cases we should, because otherwise society as a machine stops working.

I gotta tell you' date=' it confused the deuce out of me when I first heard people use the word "pop" as the generic term instead of "coke" (what I had always heard) or "soda" (less common, but not strange, either).[/quote']

The only one that has ever really confused me (and still does) is using "coke". Particularly since I can't stand colas. Someone asks me if I want a "coke", I'll say no, but I might ask if they have Mt. Dew or Dr. Pepper. :)

Everyone has hotbutton topics. This is one of mine. Maybe you guys would like to let me know what yours are' date=' and I'll make a few crass jokes about them. Your religion, your sports team, your wife, it's all in good fun, right?[/quote']

Would it make you feel better?

Lucius Alexander

Go ahead, make fun of my palindromedary.

I gotta tell you' date=' it confused the deuce out of me when I first heard people use the word "pop" as the generic term instead of "coke" (what I had always heard) or "soda" (less common, but not strange, either).[/quote']

What kind of music is used for Sodas?

Pop Music!

Well, looks like I missed a hot topic. I'll just say I agree with Bill.

Chad, sorry to hear the diagnosis, but Bob has certainly pulled up some good advice.

My only experience with diabetes is my mom had it, but refused to acknowledge it. It didn't work.

Well, looks like I missed a hot topic. I'll just say I agree with Bill.

Chad, sorry to hear the diagnosis, but Bob has certainly pulled up some good advice.

My only experience with diabetes is my mom had it, but refused to acknowledge it. It didn't work.

I'm hoping to avoid that. :)