Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Yeah, if you are fired in Oregon you need to be sure your employer feels in a positoin that going to court isn't worth it. In those situations, the employer can/will both fire you AND still allow you to collect compensation. With big companies, this is rather likely - most big companies know that Oregon's labor board, though it takes forever, is a crapshoot (as much as it has a bias towards employers, it somewhat unpredictably rules in favor of employees), so they more often than smaller businesses tend to fire and allow compensation. Mid-sized/small businesses tend to block compensation.

But, anyway, every state is different.

But...but...how do you surf the web while you're at work???? :eek:

:D

Ditto. My parents were factory laborers, I've done that for a summer as well as thrown my back out once most likely because of loading/lifting boxes on our receiving line when I was responsible for our warehouse management systems and we were testing the system. I also had a job handing out flyers in the winter (as well as summer, but heat doesn't bother me). My father did a welding job for a whlie and got very bad chronic bronchitis because the shop was all outdoors. Hence my prejudices.

Besides, growing up, my favorite fun was sitting and reading and analyzing sociopolitical data, so that's very much desk job labor. I'm very suited to it.

Even in the event I couldn't handle my responsibilites (which I "intend" to get to in my old age), wanted to have a break from what I do and was downscaling my life, I would still try to do desk job work, specifically data entry as I'm good at that.

So they actually offer that as a job, you mean, or am I missing a joke?

As you say, you'd think that'd be "reserved" for those who "earned" it! :)

I was saddened to hear re someone I had only just met recently who works in one of our divisions and was just laid off as part of some significant layoffs we've had in the US because she's 50+ and had worked there quite some time. Her prospects of finding a job are somewhat bleak in general of course (it seems to me that financial controllers are still getting hired but not sure' date=' so I said "somewhat bleak" rather than leaving it as merely "bleak"), but certainly dismal in terms of finding anything at the pay she was getting or as decent a position.[/quote']

Aw, dang, I just repped you for something else and this is just superb! Both as humor and a great hero idea.

I think I will add an alien race into the galactic superhero game that does something like this.

That is so cool!

May I ask why? Just curious.
ever heard of multi-quote or are you just post padding? ;)

I don't remember many of my dreams. I wish I did' date=' since the few I do, I generally like. (I've had some horror ones as well.)[/quote']

I'm in the same boat. Although I had a strange period of several nights of nightmares in a row some months ago while on a trip. My mother was haunted by nightmares for some extensive period of her life, I could see where that would be daunting.

Last night I dreamed that I could fly. I was flying way high up in the sky, above the trees and buildings and power lines. The feeling was amazing. I wanted to fly home, but unfortunately I couldn't seem to steer very well and I wasn't heading in the right direction. So I started to come down, but I was going so fast I was afraid I was going to crash. And I thought to myself, "It's OK. I'll just wake myself up before I hit the ground." And then I woke up.

Last night I dreamt I was Obama's personal assistant. We were preparing for a big ceremony, but he was already inaugurated. Oh, it's his wedding. I was carrying around $1.25 billion in a bag for him. We met Bob Hope who was attending the wedding. I threw a big tantrum when there was no place reserved for me at the reception. I left (with the money) and got into a car chase as I was pursued by car thieves through a multi story parking garage. Beyond that it gets fuzzy.

May I ask why? Just curious.

It was in part a response to the post directly before it from Old Man, the one about having a dream that was pretty much about social discomfort. And in part because dreams are just the brain's way of making sense of random neuron firings that happen during sleep. So not remembering them isn't a big deal to me. :)