Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I try really hard to convince myself that organized religion is much more than institutionalized superstition. I do. Honest.

They did away with institutionalization. All the nutcases that used to be in Western State Hospital now live on Seattle buses. Mostly route 358, which runs four blocks from my house.

It was in part a response to the post directly before it from Old Man' date=' the one about having a dream that was pretty much about social discomfort. And in part because dreams are just the brain's way of making sense of random neuron firings that happen during sleep. So not remembering them isn't a big deal to me. :)[/quote']

I tend to buy into the "Dreams are the brain's way of organizing information" theory, based on my limited reading on the subject. Not that you need to worry if you don't remember your dreams; there just seems to be more than random neuron firings going on. :)

I tend to buy into the "Dreams are the brain's way of organizing information" theory' date=' based on my limited reading on the subject. Not that you need to worry if you don't remember your dreams; there just seems to be more than random neuron firings going on. :)[/quote']

Oh there is certainly a lot more going on than random neuron firings. There is the brain's attempts to make sense of them. :)

And I don't mean to imply that nothing that comes out of dreams can have any meaning. Insights that some people can get out of dreams are much like the way that I usually work through problems that I'm having trouble with. In doing something else for a while I let my subconscious gnaw on the problem.

They did away with institutionalization. All the nutcases that used to be in Western State Hospital now live on Seattle buses. Mostly route 358' date=' which runs four blocks from my house.[/quote']

Went to the beach this weekend, had to shower my kid next to a homeless man getting ready for his day. I try to be sympathetic to the plight of homeless people. Honest.

Last night I dreamt I went to visit my cousin at the house he'd just bought. It was nice, had a little courtyard with a garden. It was also constructed in such a way that the plumbing was the frame for the whole house. Then it got windy, and pieces of the house started flying away, exposing all this wild plumbing. It was PVC.

And I don't mean to imply that nothing that comes out of dreams can have any meaning. Insights that some people can get out of dreams are much like the way that I usually work through problems that I'm having trouble with. In doing something else for a while I let my subconscious gnaw on the problem.

I frequently get ideas for games out of dreams. I once dreamed of an ancient and decadent city called Bloodmäter which sat on the edge of a cliff with no bottom. Airships came in from faraway lands with exotic tradegoods, and people used enormous lizards for pack animals. Piracy and crime were rife -- both in the city and in the skies around it. I wrote it all down after I woke up, and someday I intend to flesh it out and turn it into a campaign. :)

I frequently get ideas for games out of dreams. I once dreamed of an ancient and decadent city called Bloodmäter which sat on the edge of a cliff with no bottom. Airships came in from faraway lands with exotic tradegoods' date=' and people used enormous lizards for pack animals. Piracy and crime were rife -- both in the city and in the skies around it. I wrote it all down after I woke up, and someday I intend to flesh it out and turn it into a campaign. :)[/quote']

Cool!

I come up with the same kinds of crap, I just do it while thinking of other stuff, rather than from dreams.

My guess is that my dreams are just so boring that they don't stick. Really. When I was a kid and still remembered my dreams, mostly they were "a day in the life" kind of things. I'd dream about going through a normal day start to finish, including going to sleep at the end. And then be confused when I woke up when no one would remember the stuff that happened "yesterday".

The really goofy stuff my imagination comes up with happens while I'm awake. :D

My sleep is very bad. I'm supposed to be using a sleep mask, but I can't sleep with it on and a terrible thing happened last time I tried to use it and I'm afraid to try again. OddHat said last night I was sitting up in bed in my sleep. He is very strong and pushed me back down again. My night eating has become sporadic.

I do have dreams every night though and most lately have been frustrations or misfortunes for someone. I have a lot of dreams of being back at college. I also dream of people I haven't seen in 20 years. My subconscious seems to be stuck in the 80s.

I frequently get ideas for games out of dreams. I once dreamed of an ancient and decadent city called Bloodmäter which sat on the edge of a cliff with no bottom. Airships came in from faraway lands with exotic tradegoods' date=' and people used enormous lizards for pack animals. Piracy and crime were rife -- both in the city and in the skies around it. I wrote it all down after I woke up, and someday I intend to flesh it out and turn it into a campaign. :)[/quote']

Sign me up for that one.

I wind up remembering many of my dreams because the kids always wake me up in the middle of them. However, these same circumstances are not conducive to writing them down.

I had another dream last night, or the night before, where I was on an airliner, and for some reason it was my job to jump out. I opened the front door--I remember thinking that movie physics were in effect so there was no explosive decompression--and tried to jump so that I didn't go into the engine, which seemed very close, and very large. But that's all I remember of the whole thing.

Last night I dreamt I went to visit my cousin at the house he'd just bought. It was nice' date=' had a little courtyard with a garden. It was also constructed in such a way that the plumbing was the frame for the whole house. Then it got windy, and pieces of the house started flying away, exposing all this wild plumbing. It was PVC.[/quote']

In the dream, he wasn't a member of the Blue Man Group, was he?

Where I work, I wouldn't be surprised...

Ridiculous "romance" synopsis of the month

Pleasures of the Forbidden Valley / Diana Mercury

"Agreeing to marry a man from a remote and forbidden Himalayan valley in exchange for access to his village, ambitious anthropologist Diandra arrives in her new home after an arduous journey only to learn that she is also the wife of all of the man's brothers, with whom she must ritually consummate each marriage."

I think I've seen that movie. :thumbup:

Ridiculous "romance" synopsis of the month

Pleasures of the Forbidden Valley / Diana Mercury

"Agreeing to marry a man from a remote and forbidden Himalayan valley in exchange for access to his village, ambitious anthropologist Diandra arrives in her new home after an arduous journey only to learn that she is also the wife of all of the man's brothers, with whom she must ritually consummate each marriage."

And what I'd like to know is:

How does an anthropologist working in the Himalayas get surprised by learning that marrying a man means marrying his brothers?

I'm not even an anthropologist and I've heard of that particular Himalayan custom.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary number five.

How does an anthropologist working in the Himalayas get surprised by learning that marrying a man means marrying his brothers?

I'm not even an anthropologist and I've heard of that particular Himalayan custom.

Lucius Alexander

*agog*

Damn, you're good.

Lucius Alexander

Oh that bothers you, but not the breach of professional ethics by marrying into the tribe in the first place? ;)

Oh that bothers you' date=' but not the breach of professional ethics by marrying into the tribe in the first place? ;)[/quote']

An unethical anthropologist in an erotic fantasy does not strain my suspension of disbelief as much as an anthropologist stunningly ignorant of her own field does. Reminds me a little of Dan Brown's bloopers (like a head of CERN who knows less about quantum physics than I do....)

I really don't see the point of making the heroine an anthropologist.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary knows more physics than Dan Brown....and more religion, and more linguistics, and more....