Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

So 10 vs 10.5 would seem to be comperable to XP vs Vista? ;)

Having used both 10.0.4, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5; 10.5 is definitely the best version. 10.0 and 10.1 was barely useable to the mainstream, 10.2 was the first useable-by-the-mainstream version.

the comparison to XP vs Vista is erroneous on so many levels. For starters (just to give you an idea) roughly between the release of XP and Vista; Apple released 10.2 through to 10.4, each a major release; as well as ported 10.4 to Intel. And Apple also ported 10.4/10.5 to the ARM processors (cf. iPhone). As you can see, Apple has constantly added value and major new features to Mac OS X. the difference between 10.5 to 10.2 is very significant, both to the GUI and architecturally. And Mac OS X still comes in one "ultimate" edition.

Mac OS X Leopard v10.5 is certified Unix® and allows 32-bit & 64-bit PowerPC apps and 32-bit & 64-bit Intel apps to work side-by-side (Intel apps only work on Intel hardware, and PPC apps also work on Intel). That's 4 architectures. The next version 10.6 will be 64-bit top to bottom -- 32-bit will be legacy. 32-bit and 64-bit Windows are still seperate, and largly incompatible, and arguably 32-bit Windows is still the mainstream version of Windows. Heck, Windows still relies on BIOS, Mac OS X uses EFI.

Currently OS X supports:

- 32-bit & 64-bit PowerPC apps

- 32-bit & 64-bit Intel apps

- ARM chipset cf. iPhone

and the iPod touch/iPhone platform is used substantially by the US military. From article: "The iPod has already transformed the way we listen to music. Now it's taking on war."

So in conclusion: no, your comparison between 10.0 and 10.5 to XP and Vista is erroneous. ;):D

I just belly danced and I feel great !

Ordinarily I'd say "I wish I'd seen that."

Tonight I say "I wish I felt great too!"

Dance? I am literally at the moment unable to walk. :(

Don't feel too bad everyone, I'm going through a temporary problem and lots of people have much worse things to contend with. I just hate feeling helpless even temporarily.

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary observes that Lucius does however seem to enjoy publicly complaining.:rolleyes:

Faulty RAM. Upside is I have 2GB instead of 1GB now. And OSX 10.5.

That's the only upside (and 10.5 is debatable about going in the upside column).

I'm loving 10.5. And can't wait for 10.6 and OpenCL goodness. On a similar note to OpenCL Nero announced that one of their products is making use of CUDA and transcodeing videos has a 5x speed increase -- hours has become minutes.

in my opinion transcoding video will be the mainstream killer-app for GPGPU.

Having used both 10.0.4, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5; 10.5 is definitely the best version. 10.0 and 10.1 was barely useable to the mainstream, 10.2 was the first useable-by-the-mainstream version.

the comparison to XP vs Vista is erroneous on so many levels. For starters (just to give you an idea) roughly between the release of XP and Vista; Apple released 10.2 through to 10.4, each a major release; as well as ported 10.4 to Intel. And Apple also ported 10.4/10.5 to the ARM processors (cf. iPhone). As you can see, Apple has constantly added value and major new features to Mac OS X. the difference between 10.5 to 10.2 is very significant, both to the GUI and architecturally. And Mac OS X still comes in one "ultimate" edition.

Mac OS X Leopard v10.5 is certified Unix® and allows 32-bit & 64-bit PowerPC apps and 32-bit & 64-bit Intel apps to work side-by-side (Intel apps only work on Intel hardware, and PPC apps also work on Intel). That's 4 architectures. The next version 10.6 will be 64-bit top to bottom -- 32-bit will be legacy. 32-bit and 64-bit Windows are still seperate, and largly incompatible, and arguably 32-bit Windows is still the mainstream version of Windows. Heck, Windows still relies on BIOS, Mac OS X uses EFI.

Currently OS X supports:

- 32-bit & 64-bit PowerPC apps

- 32-bit & 64-bit Intel apps

- ARM chipset cf. iPhone

and the iPod touch/iPhone platform is used substantially by the US military. From article: "The iPod has already transformed the way we listen to music. Now it's taking on war."

So in conclusion: no, your comparison between 10.0 and 10.5 to XP and Vista is erroneous. ;):D

Just to be clear, I was not comparing Apples to "Oranges" as it were. :) I do have a question: If 10.2 through 10.4 were major releases, why didn't they incriment the main (i.e., major) number instead of the decimal, which to me (and I think many) would indicate a less-than-major change/release?

Just to be clear' date=' I was not comparing Apples to "Oranges" as it were. :) I do have a question: If 10.2 through 10.4 were major releases, why didn't they incriment the main (i.e., major) number instead of the decimal, which to me (and I think many) would indicate a less-than-major change/release?[/quote']

Who knowes, maybe because "Mac OS X" has become a brand name in itself. Don't know what will happen when they increment past 10.9. Maybe it will become "Mac OS XI". Also each mayor release has been associated with a big cat. at first it was just a code name but from 10.2 it has become semi-offical and now officially part of the OS release:

10.0 "Cheetah", 10.1 "Puma", 10.2 "Jaguar", 10.3 "Panther", 10.4 "Tiger", 10.5 "Leopard", 10.6 "Snow Leopard" (to be released this year, all things considered)

I'm loving 10.5. And can't wait for 10.6 and OpenCL goodness. On a similar note to OpenCL Nero announced that one of their products is making use of CUDA and transcodeing videos has a 5x speed increase -- hours has become minutes.

in my opinion transcoding video will be the mainstream killer-app for GPGPU.

I'm running on an old G5 - most of the backside improvement done doesn't help me. And I still prefer the look and feel of Classic OS over OSX.

Though I'm diggin' on Spaces. So there's that.

You know what seriously annoys me about iTunes - probably more than it should but it really is a major bother:

It puts Numbers at the end (4 Non Blondes, 808 State). All other alphabetical schema put them at the front - even their own OS puts numbers first.

Why is iTunes so retarded about order. Why can it not follow convention. It's a really stupid thing that really really makes me hate the program.

I need to find an alternative.

I'm running on an old G5 - most of the backside improvement done doesn't help me. And I still prefer the look and feel of Classic OS over OSX.
yeah. Classic is/was a grand GUI, the standard that all GUIs are measured by.

Though I'm diggin' on Spaces. So there's that.
If you don't know, try invoking spaces, then expose...voila...a mini version of all windows across all spaces. Clicking on one makes it the front-most; and nothing with Windows Vista or Win 7 can match the elegant Spaces/Expose combo of windows management.

I also make big use of Quick Look. If I were to use Tiger I'm sure I'd mistakenly hit spacebar attempting to invoke Quick Look only to realise it won't work. Also there are plugins for Quick Look to see inside Zip files. very handy.

I hate pretty. Just work.

Yeah, that's what I say about women.

Well, not really. Aesthetics count for something with me (In women, computers, games, etc.) But I sympathize very strongly with what you're saying here and it reminds me of things I've often said myself.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that if one buys games due to pretty illustrations, one ends up buying Vampire and one wouldn't want that would one.....

Yeah, that's what I say about women.

Well, not really. Aesthetics count for something with me (In women, computers, games, etc.) But I sympathize very strongly with what you're saying here and it reminds me of things I've often said myself.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that if one buys games due to pretty illustrations, one ends up buying Vampire and one wouldn't want that would one.....

Right, "hate" is a bit strong. But Form Follows Function is a big one for me. There are a lot of things in Apple OS that stay true to that (Jobs once said you should be able to do almost everything in 3-clicks or less - it holds up pretty well).

But sometimes they make it too slick and Function suffers.

A co-worker was converting to Mac several years ago and asked me "how do I get my digital camera to work with the Mac?"

I told him "plug it in."

He did, iPhoto opened. I'd never seen anyone look so damn happy with a computer before. It took him much longer to get it to work on his previous Windows2000 machine.

So yah. good looking is nice. as long as it doesn't get in the way of being productive. Which is does sometimes on modern computers.

In 60 hrs, I have barely slept.

Lucius Alexander

Why in the name of a palindromedary am I conscious??

I finally got sleep, and it felt good.

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary is counting down - seven hours until the next dose of antibiotics.

A guy staid awake for about nineteen days' date=' voluntarily. Some sleep later and he was as right as rain -- no permanent damage.[/quote']

Can I get the citation on that?

I had heard that 7 days led to psychosis. Except for certain rare individuals who both need not and can not sleep.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is asleep at one end.

The palindromedary

There's a Twilight RPG?

or are you talking about the novels. And if the latter do they have pictures?

Just the novels. and yes they have pictures. there is one on the cover. :P

and the film, to become a film series.

Can I get the citation on that?

I had heard that 7 days led to psychosis. Except for certain rare individuals who both need not and can not sleep.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is asleep at one end.

The palindromedary

"The longest documented period of voluntary sleeplessness in humans is 453 hours, 40 minutes (approximately 19 days) -- a record achieved without any pharmacological stimulation. The young man involved recovered within a few days, during which he slept more than usual but otherwise none the worse for wear."

--Dale Purves (ed.), Neuroscience 4th ed., p. 710.

"The longest documented period of voluntary sleeplessness in humans is 453 hours, 40 minutes (approximately 19 days) -- a record achieved without any pharmacological stimulation. The young man involved recovered within a few days, during which he slept more than usual but otherwise none the worse for wear."

--Dale Purves (ed.), Neuroscience 4th ed., p. 710.

Heh. I must have been taken in by an urban legend.

Do I recall right and you're a medical student?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary points out that it's not impossible that although this person was alright, someone else tried it and did NOT recover....