Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

That's how my frickin' day ended. By drinking a spider.

You have my sympathies.

When I was seven I drank a can of root beer in which a bee had been skinny dipping. It was still alive. Thirty years later and I still have a bump on the inside of my lip where it stung me.

I was just putting together a list of novelizations for the summer's blockbusters that the library may want to purchase. I saw an odd trend...

• Star Trek Movie Tie-In by Alan Dean Foster
  • Terminator Salvation: The Official Movie Novelization by Alan Dean Foster
  • Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen by Alan Dean Foster

I hadn't realized that Foster had become The Name in sci fi novelizations. Very busy guy.

Foster has been The Name in sf novelizations for-freakin'-ever. Since the late 80s, at least.

You have my sympathies.

When I was seven I drank a can of root beer in which a bee had been skinny dipping. It was still alive. Thirty years later and I still have a bump on the inside of my lip where it stung me.

I know the feeling. I still have a purple spot on my foot where a scorpion stung me. I was 18 at the time, so not quite as long ago as you. :)

I sat in on a panel a few years ago at DragonCon with some property writers talking about the profession. It was very interesting and I got a different view of it than I had before. One author had written books for everything from Star Trek to Full House to Wishbone. I guess what I found most surprising was that he actually preferred writing properties rather than original stuff.

I knew the name' date=' and i knew he was scifi, but i didn't realize how much of it was property writing.[/quote']

Yeah, the first time I noticed it was when he did the novelization of Aliens, back in, what was that, '87-ish? After that, I saw his name popping up on SF movie novels all over the place. He may have been doing it before then, but that's the first time I noticed it.

Sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight. The gate next to mine closed up about 5 minutes ago, after going through the whole "This is the last call for passengers for Flight 123, we are closing the doors" thing.

A woman comes running up to the gate. When she sees that it's closed and that the plane is starting to taxi away, she starts yelling, "Oh no! Oh no, come back!"

An airline employee comes out and she runs over. The employee says something (I'm too far away to hear it), and the woman starts yelling: "No! No! NO! NO! NO!" at the top of her lungs. Another passenger (I assume it was a friend of hers) joins her. She and the employee are trying to calm her down, but she's not having any of it. "You need to help me!" she screams. "I have to be on that plane! NO! NO! NO!" She begins pounding her fists on the desk.

Every person in the airport is watching the scene now. I lean over to the woman next to me and say, "If she doesn't calm down, they're going to call airport security on her. They don't mess around with that kind of s**t these days."

She nods and replies, "I'm a nurse. In my professional experience, the people who scream and yell and freak out the most are the ones who are not having an emergency."

Eventually, the woman stops yelling. I'm not sure what they ended up doing, but it was interesting to watch. Never seen a genuine airport freakout before. :)

Yup. My favorite example has to do with my mom. I have two younger brothers, who are two years apart. While the younger one was teething the older was old enough to be pretty obnoxious. :) The youngest was chewing on an extension cord that wasn't plugged in. Obviously not something that he should be doing, but not a huge problem since it wasn't plugged in. The older one tried several times to get the younger to stop, but he wouldn't. So the older one plugged it in.

ZAP!!!

The youngest was thrown several feet, and the older one went screaming to mom that the other was dead. Which wasn't far from true. He was burnt and wasn't breathing. Keep in mind that this was like 1972, so CPR isn't something that most people have heard of much less been trained in. So mom calls the hospital to get an ambulance. She explained the problem urgently but very calmly. The doctor asked her to ask him where it hurt the most. She reminded him, again calmly, that she couldn't ask him anything since he was unconscious and wasn't breathing.

His response? "I have a hard time believing that you are this calm with him that badly hurt." To which she replied "Would it help thing if I panicked?" Calmly. Fortunately the ambulance was already on the way, and before they got there the doctor was able to talk her through breathing for him. Heck, my little bro doesn't even have a scar from it. :)

Of course she panicked once the paramedics got there. But she did it without getting in their way. :)