Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Small print runs' date=' I hope. Otherwise, it doesn't speak well for the humanity of the publishers . . . ^^;[/quote']

I'm glad that we don't have to buy our literature from the university. There's several bookstores -- physical and online -- that carries our reading list.

Bwahahahaha!! Textbook publishers ... humanity! ... ROFLMAO!!

Text books are an authorized and endorsed scam. The prices are exorbitant whether you buy them from the university bookstore or and independent dealer. The publishers charge these prices because they can. They know they're overcharging, but they can get away with it because they have a captive market. And they get the professors who desperately need to publish, lest they perish, to go along with it. The students, the schools, the authors, the publishers, they all know what's going on. Nobody wants to change it though, there's too much money in it.

And that's not mere paranoid conspiracy theory, that's from discussions with textbook authors and salespersons.

Bwahahahaha!! Textbook publishers ... humanity! ... ROFLMAO!!

Text books are an authorized and endorsed scam. The prices are exorbitant whether you buy them from the university bookstore or and independent dealer. The publishers charge these prices because they can. They know they're overcharging, but they can get away with it because they have a captive market. And they get the professors who desperately need to publish, lest they perish, to go along with it. The students, the schools, the authors, the publishers, they all know what's going on. Nobody wants to change it though, there's too much money in it.

And that's not mere paranoid conspiracy theory, that's from discussions with textbook authors and salespersons.

thanks for the info.

and you know the worst thing about textbooks? No one ever F888 reads them! How can you when you are studing 3 or 4 subjects concurrently. me, I'm luckily enough to read 1 (text)book a semester (13 weeks) and you need to buy them for the tutorial questions.

(our university structure is usually a 2-hour lecture and a week later a 1-hour tutorial to reinforce the lecture. Mostly the tutorial is answering the back of the chapter questions from the textbook, which usually forms part fo the final exam (about 70% of the final grade of the unit. So bottom-line, we the students need the textbook to pass the unit. Textbook scam indeed.)

Back in the late 1990s I remember reading in a source I trusted (but I cannot now remember) that college textbooks produced 25% of the profit -- not revenue, profit -- of the publishing industry of North America. It is nothing less than piratical. Anything you can do to hurt those bloodsuckers is fine by me. It sure isn't the textbook authors who are realizing all that money.

If I had stayed in mainstream academia, I would have written my own 101 textbook, self-published on CDROM, and sold it for the price of media. As things are, as a college instructor I'm aiding and abetting a shakedown racket, and I despise those running the racket and myself for participating in it.

Textbook publishers (and moreso textbook RESELLERS) price gouge. Plain and simple. They do things every day that would be considered criminal in ANY OTHER business. But students rarely exercise their political leverage (as voters) and do anything about it.

Doc

if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be, but as it isn't, it 'aint.

Reportedly, before Islam, the Kaaba in Mecca was home to the images of 360 Deities.

It sounds like the ancient Arabs had a well-rounded religion.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary retorts that Lucius is basing that conclusion on circular reasoning.

...Which brings us back to where we started.

. . . In a company of non-suckers -- who sucks the most?

Actually, at the company, I don't have to deal with the people that suck. Unfortunately, my job requires me to weed the suck from the non-suck and this weekend, I only get to deal with the suck.

At least with the backyard breeder that was selling puppies in front of our adoption event, I didn't have to be polite.

Actually, at the company, I don't have to deal with the people that suck. Unfortunately, my job requires me to weed the suck from the non-suck and this weekend, I only get to deal with the suck.

At least with the backyard breeder that was selling puppies in front of our adoption event, I didn't have to be polite.

holy crap! I can't believe they'd do that

holy crap! I can't believe they'd do that

Seems to only happen in Grand Junction and I think it's been different people each time. We talked to someone in Country code enforcement and next time we're out, they'll have someone working on the weekend to come check it out.

Going East Coast (v) - To berate someone in a loud and beligerant tone of voice. Attempt to get your way through volume and rage. Make it perfectly clear, with no room for doubt, what you expect and how little you think of the other person.

"Oh damn, he's going East Coast on that guy. . ."

Works especially well on weak California AT&T technicians.

Whereas for a lot of us it just gets us to be less and less helpful. In general when someone takes that route with me, I change from trying to help them to working on getting them calmed down. :)

Yeah... see, when that happens I (and most I know) aren't actually worked up, angry or in any way needing to be calmed down.

We just need the other person to stop being uncooperative. Or (in the case of most AT&T techs) stupid.

Volume =/= Angry. Especially where I grew up.

Really, to properly "Go East Coast" on someone, you actually do need to be calm and collected.

Yeah... see, when that happens I (and most I know) aren't actually worked up, angry or in any way needing to be calmed down.

We just need the other person to stop being uncooperative. Or (in the case of most AT&T techs) stupid.

Volume =/= Angry. Especially where I grew up.

Really, to properly "Go East Coast" on someone, you actually do need to be calm and collected.

Oh, I know most people when they go that route aren't really upset. Which is in fact one of the reasons that I stop doing anything helpful and just work on calming them down until they stop it. I react poorly to the whole "squeaky wheel" bit.

But then again if I'm not being helpful in the first place it is generally because there is a problem with either what they are asking for, or a problem in communicating what they want. Neither of which is going to change if they pretend to be mad. ;)