WWYCD #111: Hero Worship

Metaphysician

During the course of your character's normal activity, s/he somehow runs across a new development ( via news reports, internet, direct contact, letters, etc ): a cult has formed that worships your character as a god/dess ( or other divine figure, if applicable ). The cult is at least a few hundred strong ( possibly larger, depending on the character ). Aside from believing in your divinity, any other beliefs or actions are unspecified, and dependent on who the character is.

What do you do??

Re: WWYCD #111: Hero Worship

Starguard -- go to them and beg them to stop, as she's a devout Catholic, absolutely denies being any kind of goddess, and still goes to church every Sunday just like everybody else.

Horus-Re, who has precisely this problem in-canon -- although it doesn't throw *him* off his stride any, as he *genuinely is* a divine being -- would probably insist on tagging along as an expert witness as to just who is, and who is not, a god. :D

Dr. Pain -- is really, really unlikely to have this happen to him, given the scale on which he operates, and the fact that he was a long-established (and quite mundane) celebrity well before he had metapowers.

Baron von Darien -- ... anybody who would worship him as their deity has *SEVERE* problems. He'd react to them about the same way as he would suspected demon cultists...

Cyrande considers it to be another sign of how unsophisticated Earth humans are, and uses her cult to lobby for the changes she wants, plus take care of them, because they did put themselves into her hands.

The rest of the team, on the other hand, will have heart attacks. And with Cyrande using them, even benignly... *winces* Horus will be disappointed and speak out, Warp will go nuts on her again, and Starguard will do the dreaded puppy stare.

n.b. -- the 'dreaded puppy stare' is known as the "Sad Eyes Attack", and it's an unstatted, 0-point, +gazillion (at DM's discretion) PRE attack, Only To Make The Target Feel Really Really Feel Like A Chump, Because They So Direly Disappointed And Let Down The Nicest, Most Trusting Friend They Ever Had...

... never actually used it yet, but the mere threat of doing so makes strong players tremble, and weak ones faint! mwa-ha-ha! :D

Hey, if people can get all fanatical about ordinary wrestlers in real life, I'm sure that such a response to one who gains actual superpowers isn't out of the question. . .

As for Microman II, his initial response is to deny it factually. However, if the nature of the cult is more philosophical, this could get. . . complicated. Depending on the resulting arguments, they *might* just be able to convince him he is a "god," albeit with a continued insistance that the term is excessively deceptive.

More likely, he'd end up a bit confused.

Audra Blue is amused. She won't encourage it. But it's nice to know that if she needs some assistance she can call on them and perhaps use a bit of influence. She'd also try to find out how this mistaken belief came about.

Anthem is surprised and flattered, but she would go to them and try to straighten them out. As nice as it is, she would not want to be some kind of false idol.

Uncle Slam would dismiss it as some kind of odd fad among people who've taken the phrase "hero worship" too literally. He'd pretty much go about his business.

Cool question.

Cannis’ initial startlement is replaced by a feeling of pleasure. ~Why shouldn’t they worship me. After all the Greeks worshiped Artemis, and she was probably a mutant too. Most likely the whole pantheon was. So why can’t I be equivalent to a modern day Artemis.~ She smiles ~My packmates are going to be so jealous. Hopefully Adam won’t mind.~ Over the coming weeks she keeps an eye on her church and her followers, making occasional appearances to encourage them to take actions she would like, lobby for changes, etc. In return, she keeps a loose eye on them and protects them if need be. She may negotiate a deal with a few local birds along the lines of: my followers will feed and take care of you, and if they truly need my help, you will come tell me what is going on.

Mina stares in shock as she hears a minor “Odd things Happening Locally†piece on the news about a new Cult forming around Sailor Io. ~How did this happen?!?!~ She, along with several of her friends, attend a few cult meetings in their secret ids to see what is being taught, if it seems like some sort of plot, etc. Provided she does not disapprove of the church’s teaching, no one seems to be being hurt, and it isn’t some sort of evil plot, Io leaves the church alone. After all, its not as if there is really anything wrong with people being taught thinks like: “Strive to do your best. Take care of your friends. Help others. Negotiate first but if you have to fight to protect yourself or other do so. Etc.†She does occasionally (once every few months or so), check in to make sure that nothing has changed. And, since the church is probably a target for attacks by her enemies, she probably checks that area a bit more frequently than she otherwise would.

Style - Is sure that this is another trick by Demon, or perhaps the Crowns or the Cult of the Dragon. Someone is trying to smoke him out and get him into a position to further their plans. Unfortunately, protecting the weak against the evil strong is what he does; he'll have to find his way to the bottom of this. If by some amazing turn of events this is not a plot, he'll find the leaders of the cult and try to break it up.

AnimeGai - Is not programmed to deal with this. If someone explains the situation to him carefully, he will make a public anouncement that he is "Only a metahuman, like so many others" while simulating concern as best he can. If this fails to solve the problem, he will investigate the cult structure and attempt to disband it as a possible threat to public safety.

Flesh Gordon - “Is this mike on? Testing. One-two, one-two, one-two-three. Hello all of you wonderful people out there! I always love coming to the cons, seeing the fans. I know it’s something everybody says, but I’m just so glad you like these strange little movies. Without you, there would be no Flesh V: Bikini Crusaders! Give yourselves a hand! Now, if you’ll let me, I’d like to sing you a little song, a song written by a very good friend of mine …â€

Eventually, someone would explain to Flesh that this wasn’t a convention.

“Oh. Um, am I a god? No, I am just a man, just a man with a man’s courage. I know nothing but a man … For you, I will never fail, for only the pure of heart, can find the Holy Grail … I have only fourteen hours to save the Earth!†Runs off the stage, and completely by accident bumps into the masterminds behind this fiendish plot. Or possibly gets lost back stage and ends up going out for a burger. Hard to tell.

Superbadger

His mother was Catholic. He was raised in church. That part of him would be uncomfortable. Mainly he would completely ignore them and consider them nuts.

Other characters in my former group

Weasel: Well he had a small following. (know one knows why) But it would definitely put him on an ego trip that only a sound beating from a villain could get rid of.

Frosty Bob: When do I get the virgins? (flashes big goofy grin)

Posted on behalf of another person in our campaign who doesn't belong to the forums.

"Frigid: Uses them to his own ends as his own private army of zealots

Oden: Uses them to his own ends as his own private army of zealots.

After all, so long as you are using them to do good, its heroic."

(Not quite sure I agree with him on the heroic part.)

Well, technically the "Dread Pirate Heather" is an NPC, since I am the GM, but I consider her "my" character.

She would heartily agree with the cultists and suggest that they contribute directly toward her financially, but internally she would be quite confused, after all, she is only 10 years old.

Cat had a fighting tong of local martial arists form up after her secret ID was revealed (the white tigers), and she has died and come back, as well as having healing powers... to be honest before the GM moved away and she switched campaigns, that was going to be her next major subplot. So I tried not to think about how she would react. But off the cuff....

"I am _NOT_ a diety. Everything I have I have by dint of work and training. Physical training, mental training, spiritual training. Anyone can do it, anyone with the right motivation and devotion to thier cause could do it. Do _not_ hold me on a pedelstal that way. Yes I have done good deeds, but I like to think that anyone in the same circumstances with similar resources would do it." Which would just as likely make things worse. She would then take them into a school and teach them philisophy and critical thinking, and try and turn the movement into a huge self help non cult orginization.

Ballistic would just fall down laughing. He's an ex cop in a supersuit. Given he has learned magic, but to him that is a tool, and not what he _is_. He'd brush off the concept and tell them to go home and, likely unintintionally quoting Bill Shatner, tell them to "Get a life"

Guest WhammeWhamme

Flippant:

Be _quite_ confused. I mean, he has powers... but he stills thinks of them as curse (despite now being, you know, superpowered and 110%), so the idea of them as making him better in some way...

Once he gets his head around it, try and politely defuse it. Of course 'I am a man, much like any other' is a tough sell when you don't want people to know who you are...

Estatua:

Luckily, Public ID, so he can point out the complete history of how he acquired his powers. Of course, even the _real_ gods don't get believed when they say they ARE gods, so the contrary claim...

He'll probably go have a nice chat, show how he bleeds (small pinprick) despite being invulnerable (limited coverage; only his skin is invlunerable... or superstrong or superfast for that mattter), and point out that there's a fan club if they simply wish to live up the ideals of goodness, and REAL religions if they need someone to worship.

Mask of Justice: Is Greek Orthodox, to the extent that he practices religion at all, though his powers allegedly come from Dike/Astraea/Virgo, the Greek goddess of Justice. "At best I am descended from a so-called god, many, many generations ago. Worshipping me will gain you nothing. If you respect me, act justly and with honor, and this will be a better world without wasting time and money on false idolization."

Rock Bottom: Is an agnostic with a Public ID. "I am not a god. I don't know anyone who is. Don't blame your problems or behavior on me, because I'm not taking responsibility for what you do of your own free will."

Calculus: Fairly liberal Christian. "Do you also worship the Tooth Fairy? Becaue there's more evidence of her divinity."

Kira Midori: Fairly conservative Christian. "There is only one true God. Worship Him, not me." She will be off-duty and out of her police uniform when she announces this, and then will distribute religious literature. (I'm fairly sure there are rules against police officer proselytizing while on duty.)

Talion: Believes that any gods there might be are out to get him. "Stop worshiping me! I beg you!" Cult members will start dropping like flies, usually dying in unusual and highly improbable ways. Most of these will be Darwin Award-level attempts to replicate some of Talion's feats of regeneration. :stupid:

Warp: *Sideways glance at team mates Horus and Starguard*

"Let me get this straight. Out of all the members of the Sentinels you could have chosen you decided to worship me as a god? Guys, I think you have to seriously work on your critical thinking skills."

Spectrum: "The circumstances regarding my transformation are a matter of public record. I'm not a god, merely a man altered by advanced alien technology who tries his best to serve his country."

Mystic: "I am merely a practioner of the mystic arts. A potent and powerful one, yes, but that alone does not make me a divinity."

Hmm, I could imagine the whole team being worshipped as a pathenon, actually. Warp makes a very good Hermes, Micro would be Thoth, Horus, well.... Starguard as a Goddess of healing and light, and Cyrande certainly could be something like a non jealous Hera or Isis.

In fact, I can imagine that might come up in game, as Horus's cult reacts to the rest of us.

Husky would laugh it off the first time he heard about the cult. After changing into Kenneth though. Kenneth would take advantage of this situation by writing a religious text (with the help of the Public Relations droid [who's imprinted with the chraming aspects of Husky's psych profile]). The text would actually be more philosophical than religious drawing upon the most benevolent aspects of Earth's philosophies and religions. The actual text would be implanted with subliminal cues that would trigger a sense of well being and a desire to treat others ethically. The whole thing would have an alien vernier slapped onto it and the PR droid would present the text to the cult as a copy of an ancient Huskitonian text that Husky would personally like them to consult.

Husky would be uncomfortable discusiing the text in public and encourage people to post questions to his website.

Hmm, I could imagine the whole team being worshipped as a pathenon, actually. Warp makes a very good Hermes, Micro would be Thoth, Horus, well.... Starguard as a Goddess of healing and light, and Cyrande certainly could be something like a non jealous Hera or Isis.

In fact, I can imagine that might come up in game, as Horus's cult reacts to the rest of us.

This reminds me of the time we discussed what would happen if magic didn't fade, and the Sentinels remained around for the entire time until 3000. . .

Adonis would simply disappear. It would hurt him greatly to give up his friends and movie career, but the idea of being worshipped as an actual deity would be too much for him. Adonis was created and raised to be the next great leader of Earth. Dr. Patton, Adonis’ “father,†had actually discussed with Adonis the idea of forming a cult as one way of building a power base. Adonis has real issues about people treating him as a “superior†being. Of course, unfortunately for Adonis, this would only create an Elvis/James Dean like situation and possibly bring some additional followers into the cult. A number of urban legends would probably spring up around supposed sighting of Adonis. Some of them would probably be accurate.

Ghost Archer:

"Well, this is different. Normally Raven's the one worshipped as a goddess and I am merely her right hand. Wonder how she'll feel being my consort instead of the other way around?"

Ghost Archer has never believed in gods or goddesses as he has met more then a few so classified. To find himself worshipped would cause him no end of concern. He would feel obligated to his 'worshippers' and try to help them while at the same time gently trying to discourage them. At some point he would become fed up with the whole thing and seek a less gentle form of persuasion. With his level of PRE he might have to 'put the fear of god' in them.

Out of curiousity' date=' has there ever been a "Husky and Kenneth split and come into conflict" storyline??[/quote']

While the personality disputes occur pretty regularly when dealing with issues the GM hasn't had a "personality split" adventure yet. If so I'd imagine both of them trying very hard to recombine afterall without Kenneth's brainpower Husky's cover story would fall apart very quickly and more importantly he'd feel like he's obligated to defend Kenneth who he'd see as a physically inferior father figure. Without the escapism of being Husky, Kenneth is a social outcast shunned by adults for being a child and shunned by children for being wierd.