Give me your best idea please

Bengal

Since I've started posting on this board, I've referred to a character who is a detective/martial artist. He is my main character, and I am quite attached to him. I devised him witht he 4th edition rules in 1999, and have updated him with the XP he's earned, and twice "reset" his to 350 points in order to put him in games with other 350s.

My only problem is that I named him something that sounded good at the time, but turns out to be really cheesy, considering: Nighthawk.

He was named after the Marvel character of the same name, sort of as an homage. I did not know about the official Nighthawk in the CU.

Since then I've been trying in vain to find a better name.

The Hero Names thread has been somewhat helpful, but perhaps you can help out too.

What name have you got in your back pocket for your next batman type? Rest assured, my character will probably never meet yours.

Re: Give me your best idea please

In my campaign world, I have a Batman-ish type character in my fictional city of Arcane City. He is Archangel. His ways are the same as Batman, but instead of being gadget-oriented, he's mystically-oriented.

I also have an English character with the same sort of demeanor. He's Black Knight. He belongs to a group called the Round Table. He's Batman-ish in a more "agent" sort of way.

Richard

Bengal,

I am usually pretty good at this, but could you provide more details, first?

That way you may get some names that are a good fit for the whole character, instead of 'generic' things like "Flying Mammal Guy".

You don't have to provide a character sheet, unless you want to, but an idea of powers, background, etc. would really help.

After all, you are basically picking:

1) What the character would choose to call himself, based on his own goals and background.

or

2) What the press would call the character based on his image and actions.

KA.

Well, a few folks hereabouts have suggested changing Nighthawk's name to "Knighthawk" to avoid confusion with the Marvel character. Sometimes one letter can make a world of difference, especially legally. ;)

"Fury" is always good because of the association with the mythic Greek punishers of the guilty. Admittedly it's probably more appropriate to female characters for that reason.

One past campaign I played in, I ran a mystical dark avenger type called "The Wrath."

Give me a little time and I'll see what else I can come up with. :)

Well, let's see.

Pat Kelly is a family court litigator in Maryland. His hobbies are big brothers/big sisters, the boys and girls club, linguistics, true crime, and martial arts.

Specifically, South American freestyle wrestling (called South American Judo) and his own Eastern-style form, Son Kung Fu. His dodges, disarms, and blocks come from the latter; his holds and throws from the former. His mixed style is primarily defensive, with choke holds and joint locks for dealing the damage necessary to down his foes.

He is blessed with borderline-meta physical abilities and very keen senses, but he's not an altered human or mutant- still within the upper end of human norms.

The most unusual thing about his background is, he was raised by a free-willed vampire who was a crimefighter. When his undead guardian was destroyed, he took it upon himself to train, train, train and pick up the ball as a legacy hero, taking his guardian's crimefighting name and costume (and personna). Using the established reputation of his guardian, he was able to easily "cover" for his inexperience by being scary as all getout.

So, by day he takes a light caseload in the family courts at a healthy hourly rate, and by night he obsesses over crime, especially crime against children.

In combat, he is more likely to try PRE attacks, or misdirection via items from his utility belt, than physical attacks, although he is a fairly skilled hand combatant. If he's with a group of heroes, he will always clear the area of bystanders to the best of his abilities, even to the point of ignoring his opponents.

His main strengths are crime-solving and other utility skills, best used out of combat.

Interesting character background. Inherited his mentor's fearsome mantle, yet is the protector of children in his other guise.

This could definately fit with the 'Archangel' concept, as they are both guardians and terrible to behold. Or, since the mentor was undead, you could go the 'Guardian Devil' route and call him something like Hellion.

Gee, that sounds a lot like the Confessor and Altar Boy from Astro City. Not that I'm accusing you of plagiarizing, mind you. :no:

You know, just listening to your description, the title of a classic Cat Stevens song leapt into my mind: "Moon Shadow." You know, "I'm bein' followed by a moon shadow..." That could work on several levels.

Here's another thought: since his emphasis is on protecting children, it would be appropriate for him to use the name of the terror to the child in all of us - The Bogeyman.

Well, let's see.

Pat Kelly is a family court litigator in Maryland. His hobbies are big brothers/big sisters, the boys and girls club, linguistics, true crime, and martial arts.

Specifically, South American freestyle wrestling (called South American Judo) and his own Eastern-style form, Son Kung Fu. His dodges, disarms, and blocks come from the latter; his holds and throws from the former. His mixed style is primarily defensive, with choke holds and joint locks for dealing the damage necessary to down his foes.

He is blessed with borderline-meta physical abilities and very keen senses, but he's not an altered human or mutant- still within the upper end of human norms.

The most unusual thing about his background is, he was raised by a free-willed vampire who was a crimefighter. When his undead guardian was destroyed, he took it upon himself to train, train, train and pick up the ball as a legacy hero, taking his guardian's crimefighting name and costume (and personna). Using the established reputation of his guardian, he was able to easily "cover" for his inexperience by being scary as all getout.

So, by day he takes a light caseload in the family courts at a healthy hourly rate, and by night he obsesses over crime, especially crime against children.

In combat, he is more likely to try PRE attacks, or misdirection via items from his utility belt, than physical attacks, although he is a fairly skilled hand combatant. If he's with a group of heroes, he will always clear the area of bystanders to the best of his abilities, even to the point of ignoring his opponents.

His main strengths are crime-solving and other utility skills, best used out of combat.

Thanks for the background.

It was really helpful.

For one thing, it let me know that my idea of a full-blooded Native American in a black robe and feathered head-dress named Chief Justice was not the sort of thing you wanted. :D

I kind of like "Arbiter".

As you probably know, it stand for someone empowered to settle disputes, which seems like the kind of thing that might appeal to a lawyer.

On the other hand, it sounds sort of sinister.

Rhymes with 'vampire' if you pronounce it that way.

Also has 'biter' in there, which could have been a private joke by the predecessor.

My other thought was something like 'The Advocate', if your character is gay, or doesn't mind the jokes.

I will let you know if I think of any more.

KA.

Hmm... I like Arbiter, which has already been mentioned (and I laughed in a good way with Chief Justice).

I'd like to offer up two names not to use: anything-Angel and Phoenix. Angel because it actually means "messenger" and, like black clothes on women, has been overdone; it needs to go out of style for about ten years. For Phoenix, because there is a brick in my game who goes by that name except he doesn't have any 'traditional' comic powers of a phoenix-type character except for flight. (He's even aluminum colored.) And we (mainly I as the GM, but also his girlfriend) constantly rag on him about his name because he just leaves himself open to it. :hex:

If you feel the need to go with a bird motif, I'd just suggest Raptor, Hawk, or maybe Condor, but really the first.

If he is a religious man, you could call him Crusader.

I haven't picked up anything from 5E Dark Champions, but Harbinger of Justice would have a good ring to it (especially since your character has the law background). Or maybe Judgment, Judge Doom, or (corny) Judgment Dave. (Get it, Judgment Day-v? :snicker: ) [Well, I liked it.]

Okay, now it's time for others.

What about using another language?

not that all martial artists need to be asian, but:

chinese: Ye Ying (literally, though usually trans. as 'nightingale', like the nurse)

japanese: Yo-Ippari (though Yotaka is shorter, it means 'streetwalker')

hmong: Hmo-dav (lit. trans.)

or if you'd rather be like Jean-Claude van Dammmmmme

french: Rossignol (the lit. trans. is kinda ugly IMHO -- Faucon de nuit)

when i'm in doubt, i look to some of the bantu languages in africa. usually easy to spell and say.

luzingu kele mpasi mpe beto ke kufwa.

life is difficult and then we die.

He sounds like he should have a name that can be the last words screamed by a criminal just before he pounces.

I hate names whose "coolness" derives from synonyms or misspellings.

Trying to come up with a name that hasn't been used before is the fast track to insanity. Don't bother.

If you don't want to use Nighthawk, Pat Kelly's background makes him an ideal candidate to call himself Jaguar. :)

There seemed to be an implied Catholicism.

Given all this I suggest:

Conscience

Nightmare

Witness

Streetsweeper

Hand of Justice

Priest

Prosecutor

Lawman

Gavel

Any of these work with the "The" prefix. Could probably come up with more if I knew costuming details.

You're all giving me (and I hope others) great ideas! I like all the angles you present. My short list is as follows, I'll be adding to it I'm sure as I analyze each post above.

Monitor

Moonlighter

Nightingale

Witness

And it grows.

Based upon Lord Liaden's suggestion that his background overlaps someone from Astro City, I may have to bust out with a different cool origin.

Based upon Lord Liaden's suggestion that his background overlaps someone from Astro City' date=' I may have to bust out with a different cool origin.[/quote']

Entirely based on what you're comfortable with, of course; but the characters are fairly well known, and the parallels are striking. Check them out here:

The Confessor

Altar Boy

Well. Now I feel sick. Thanks for giving me a clue tho.

I wouldn't switch out a perfectly cool origin just because

it is in use in a non-mainstream comic. Especially when you

developed your version independantly.

( And yes, as cool as Astro City is, most people, even comic

book fans, have never heard of it, let alone read the story

arcs with these two... )