Fake TV-Shows

Jhamin

One of the PCs in my Champions U game has an aspiring acress for a girlfriend. (The infamous Ms. Chow, sister of Green Dragon) She is currently big enough to be the "hot chick of the week" in various TV shows, but never gets the good roles.

What I am trying to do is assemble a bunch of fictional shows from pop culture or the Champions Universe for her to appear in.

I am looking for made-up shows that exist as regular TV within other fictional universes.

For example: On Muprhy Brown, FYI was the name of the news show they all worked on. It would count.

The Power Rangers was a show about supers, but within the reality of the show they had real powers. It would not count.

What I have so Far:

Galaxy Quest (from Galaxy Quest)

Wormhole X-Treme (From Stargate)

FYI (from Murphy Brown)

To Save the World (From Champions Battlegrounds)

Capes (from the Tick)

Hercules (from the Hercules:TLJ "wacky" season enders)

Surely there must be more?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fake TV-Shows

One of the PCs in my Champions U game has an aspiring acress for a girlfriend. (The infamous Ms. Chow, sister of Green Dragon) She is currently big enough to be the "hot chick of the week" in various TV shows, but never gets the good roles.

What I am trying to do is assemble a bunch of fictional shows from pop culture or the Champions Universe for her to appear in.

I am looking for made-up shows that exist as regular TV within other fictional universes.

For example: On Muprhy Brown, FYI was the name of the news show they all worked on. It would count.

The Power Rangers was a show about supers, but within the reality of the show they had real powers. It would not count.

What I have so Far:

FYI (from Murphy Brown)

Capes (from the Tick)

Surely there must be more?

Let's see, there was The Alan Brady Show.

Seems like there should be a lot in The Simpsons, but the Krusty the Clown Show is the only one I can think of.

Wasn't there an X Files like show on the X Files?

KAZEI 5 has "Lace & Steel" and "Smash TV" (full-contact combat shows). "Maim TV" was in a comic I can't recall. V FOR VENDETTA mentions some British shows, including "Storm Saxon" -- a (highly-racist) post-apocalyptic action/adventure show. GURPS: IST mentioned a screwball sitcom called (I think...) "Telepath in the House", or something goofy like that. NORMALS UNBOUND had "Capes of Wrath."

Not sure I'm compehending the rules, but I'm tired. So here goes.

"Smile Time" (Children's show on the "Angel" TV Series; The episode where Angel was changed into a puppet)

"Fright Night" (The late night Horror Movie Show from the movie "Fright Night"; It featured Peter Vincent, Vampire Killer (Roddy McDowell).)

The updated list:

FYI (from Murphy Brown)

Capes (from the Tick)

The Alan Brady Show (From Dick Vandyke)

Krusyt the Clown (From the Simpsons)

Fright Night (From Fright Night)

Small Time (From Angel)

Capes of Wrath (From Normals Unbound)

I'm probably not going to go with the Green Hornet, but you reminded me of:

The Grey Ghost (From Batman:TAS)

Thanks Susano for your suggestions, but Kazei 5 is a little far afield for me, and I am trying to stick to either the Champs U or tv/movies.

Great ideas: Keep them coming!

Let's see:

Tool Time(Home Improvement, Tim's cable show)

Gabbo(Simpsons, Krusty's competition)

Eye on Springfield(Simpsons, Kent Brockman's show around town)

Psycho Dad(Married With Children, Al Bundy's favorite show)

If you're willing to go the movie route:

Secrets of the Universe(UHF)

Venckman had a TV show in the 2nd Ghostbusters but I don't remember what it was called "Mysteries of the Unknown" or something like that.

That's all I can come up with for now.

Wildguard! is a show about a superteam, as a reality show. It's a comic about a TV show about real life in a fictional universe. :think: Put it in a game simulating a different fictional universe that simulates comics, and you've got a few more levels of :think:

Also from Simpsons, she could have a part in a "McBain" movie.

There are some fictional news shows from "The West Wing".

"Believe it...or Don't!" was from something, but can't remember what.

Heck, go find a list of all the "shows" they made up/spoofed for Saturday Night Live, Mad TV and the like. That should give you enough for the whole campaign.

It'd be especially great when she guest stars on "The Continental". :rofl:

Any John Landis movie references a fictional movie called "See You Next Wednesday".

... which Landis took from a line in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

We have an Australian show called "Frontline" which is a send-up of our local current affair shows. Means nothing in the rest of the world, of course...

Wasn't the "Garry Shandling Show" a show about itself?

There was "I Can't Believe They Invented It!" on the Simpsons, with your host, Troy McClure, who you might remember from such shows as...[fill in the blank from Troy's filmography here].

While not an "actual" fictional TV show, I created this for one of my campaigns:

PRINCE OF DENMARK

Exiled from his home by his evil stepfather, Prince Hamlet and his bumbling sidekick Horatio wander Reformation-era Europe, investigating mysterious crimes and weird events. Hamlet uses his razor-sharp wits and the scientific method to reveal the truth. While Hamlet comes up with a rational explanation for supposedly supernatural events, the audience sees that there is perhaps more going on behind the scenes. Additional comic relief is provided by recurring assassins Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, who are more adept at philosophical debate than killing. Indeed, they only ever seem to kill people by accident; usually the villain of the episode.

The show is basically a Sam Raimi (Xena, Hercules TLJ) style historical fantasy. No actual research is ever done.