Hero System women are all insanely attractive

paigeoliver

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hero System women are all insanely attractive

Okay' date=' so video game and anime martial artists = hot babe. Sounds about right.[/quote']

To be fair, Young+Healthy+Athletic has a high correspndence with Attractive, for both males and females. There are exceptions, especially at the top levels and in strength sports without an aesthetic component, but the average athletic male or female does tend to have a lower body fat percentage at any given weight and age.

IOW, active people are generally more attractive than sedentary people; it's not such a stretch to say that Super Heroes should generally be more attractive than people who spend all day typing.

Good observation. Check the comic books... you'll be hard pressed to find ugly, or even below average, women. There's a reason for this, I think. Look at the target audience... how many young men will look at comics if the women are less-than-staller in appearance? :nonp:

The game is emulating the comics (at least in the super-genre).

Mags

This is a concept that my wife carries throughout her character creation. If you look at comics you won't see ugly women, especially superheroes. Therefore, she makes all of her characters very nice to the eye. I know of at least one Maker of Worlds that can not stand the practice of having nothing but gorgeous women as superheroes. Most arguments are along the lines of comic book perception as you mention above, but it also goes further:

Who really wants to play an ugly woman in their fantasy world?

To be fair, Young+Healthy+Athletic has a high correspndence with Attractive, for both males and females. There are exceptions, especially at the top levels and in strength sports without an aesthetic component, but the average athletic male or female does tend to have a lower body fat percentage at any given weight and age.

IOW, active people are generally more attractive than sedentary people; it's not such a stretch to say that Super Heroes should generally be more attractive than people who spend all day typing.

Just look at your Supers Pics threads. This female bodybuilding/fitness models are usually pretty smoking (body-wise) because they work out and have an athletic build. Thus, they are attractive. If I could work out x-hours every day and then do semi-physical stuff the rest, I'd look better too.

Just look at your Supers Pics threads. This female bodybuilding/fitness models are usually pretty smoking (body-wise) because they work out and have an athletic build. Thus' date=' they are attractive. If I could work out x-hours every day and then do semi-physical stuff the rest, I'd look better too.[/quote']

It's pretty common to see advanced karateka / runners / swimmers / whatever with bodies that look amazing and faces you'd never look at twice. Bodybuilders and strength athletes are (imo) kind of an exception. Heavyweight Olympic-style lifters, Power-Lifters, Judoka and Wresters can often perform well even when carrying a lot of bodyfat. As to BBs, the steroids + GH look can get freaky, especially when you throw in the ultra-lean look needed for competition.

It's pretty common to see advanced karateka / runners / swimmers / whatever with bodies that look amazing and faces you'd never look at twice.

True. I'll admit, with some of the women you've posted in the Super thread I've put my hand over the face and looked at the body from the neck down and thought "Shion?"

PS: Check out my most recent post to said Super's thread. I think you'll get a good laugh out of it.

True. I'll admit' date=' with some of the women you've posted in the Super thread I've put my hand over the face and looked at the body from the neck down and thought "Shion?"[/quote']

Some of the girls I dated when I was in my serious weight lifting phase ...

nevermind.

;)

I notice the mention of the CHA score. CHA supposedly is not always appearance. In fact, I think COM was an optional stat for D&D at one time because ugly but impressive things have a high CHA.

I have a D&D character that has a 14 CHA (and an outrageous Intimidate skill for her level) that is NOT considered attractive. She's half-orc and therefore has uncomfortably orcish features to her human face. But she scares the hell out of people.

But I think the lowest COM score in my Champions games among the female characters is probably 12. Even the least attrractive woman is still better looking than an average guy. That's just how I see things.

Just look at your Supers Pics threads. This female bodybuilding/fitness models are usually pretty smoking (body-wise) because they work out and have an athletic build. Thus' date=' they are attractive. If I could work out x-hours every day and then do semi-physical stuff the rest, I'd look better too.[/quote']

While I like athletic builds, almost all the female bodybuilders pics postee here turn me off. I just don't find that much muscle attractive.

I notice the mention of the CHA score. CHA supposedly is not always appearance. In fact, I think COM was an optional stat for D&D at one time because ugly but impressive things have a high CHA.

I have a D&D character that has a 14 CHA (and an outrageous Intimidate skill for her level) that is NOT considered attractive. She's half-orc and therefore has uncomfortably orcish features to her human face. But she scares the hell out of people.

But I think the lowest COM score in my Champions games among the female characters is probably 12. Even the least attrractive woman is still better looking than an average guy. That's just how I see things.

CHA in AD&D is almost identical to PRE. And yes in 1st and 2nd Ed. they did use an optional COM score. looks are how the player describes them.

While I like athletic builds' date=' almost all the female bodybuilders pics postee here turn me off. I just don't find that much muscle attractive.[/quote']

Past a certain level it does start to get into fetish teritory, like everything else.

For myself, and just speaking of aesthetics, I think that heavy steroid use ruins the lines of a body, and that very few people look good facially with under 10% or so BF, but tastes vary and all that.

Well, as a female gamer I have to say, I like my characters to have a high COM (at least 14). I'm no Hollywood star, but it sure is a nice fantasy to play one in a game. :winkgrin: So it doesn't bother me in the least :)

Theala

Theala! Welcome to the boards! You should post more often.

Keith "Theala has a smokin' webpage" Curtis

I agree. And it is particularly evident in the more modern comics I think. Does anybody remember the old fusion champion’s book? All the women there looked alike in the face except for the hair.

The only comic book artist that regularly draws women with varied faces are John Byrne.

??? You know that even Byrne has referred to himself as One-Face Byrne? (Art of Joihn Byrne) I'll admit he has gone to great pains to correct this, but his faces still tend to be formulaic.

As for the topic, good looking people are more fun to draw, sell better, and fulfill the vicarious self-image aspect.

Keith "hot babe drawer" Curtis

I don't know anyone, or have even heard of anyone, that likes to look at/ogle/lust over ugly people. I suppose there are some out there, but I haven't come across any yet.

Of course, average isn't ugly, but average is boring. You don't want boring characters in your stories do you? Not if you're trying to sell them anyway.

So let's make everyone attractive, and since we're not using models, we can make them as attractive as we damn well please! Especially the women... 'cuz everybody (at least everybody I know), man or woman (regardless of sexual preference) appreciates female beauty.

Speaking as an artist and a woman, normally I would have a snit about how the figure is always rendered with current beauty aesthetics in mind and no variation. But in the comics most people are average to really good looking, with the only ugly characters being ugly because it's part of their concept or history. So it makes sense the chicks have 16" waists and DD breasts, and the men are all 6'6" and ripped. That's just the genre, and that's why it's so cheap to buy up your COM.

And I also tend to play characters that are cute or good looking (without being crazy good looking), but that's because it's fun to be something you're not for a few hours on the weekend. I can't fly, but my Champions character can, dammit.

If I wanted to play ugly, I'd play in a different system. :ugly:;)

Well, as a female gamer I have to say, I like my characters to have a high COM (at least 14). I'm no Hollywood star, but it sure is a nice fantasy to play one in a game. :winkgrin: So it doesn't bother me in the least :)

Theala

You are, however, the High Priestess of the Hero System online, so your opinion will carry some weight. Back in the day, 1996, there I was with my old Power Mac and Theala's was the site for Hero Mac geeks.*flashback sequence ensues*

Huh. (shakes self awake) Sorry. Anyway, its fantasy so why wouldn't players want a world where not only were they better than RL but better looking and have better looking people around them? :D

When I saw the thread title I thought to myself "Well true, Tina is a babe, but I didn't think there were any other women working for HERO..."

:D

I tend to put at least a few points into COM on any character I make (or buy it down by a few if appropriate for the character history), male or female. I'm not overly interested in playing plain characters. I'm plain every day of the week. What I am every day of the week isn't what I want to do for fun. :)

You are, however, the High Priestess of the Hero System online, so your opinion will carry some weight. Back in the day, 1996, there I was with my old Power Mac and Theala's was the site for Hero Mac geeks.*flashback sequence ensues*

Huh. (shakes self awake) Sorry. Anyway, its fantasy so why wouldn't players want a world where not only were they better than RL but better looking and have better looking people around them? :D

What he and Keith said. ;)

I agree. And it is particularly evident in the more modern comics I think. Does anybody remember the old fusion champion’s book? All the women there looked alike in the face except for the hair.

The only comic book artist that regularly draws women with varied faces are John Byrne.

George Perez does a pretty good job of making differently attractive women in his artwork. Check out his run on the Avengers, I thought FireStar and Scarlet Witch looked considerably different.

??? You know that even Byrne has referred to himself as One-Face Byrne? (Art of Joihn Byrne) I'll admit he has gone to great pains to correct this, but his faces still tend to be formulaic.

What I have read of his comics is Alpha flight, Superman. Fantastic Four and guest appearance’s of both the X-men and the Avengers.

He is one of the artists where you can see the difference between the heroes in their secret identity without looking at the hair style.

It might be very formulaic techniques he is using to get this result but you probably see this because you are an artist yourself.

Of course, average isn't ugly, but average is boring. You don't want boring characters in your stories do you? Not if you're trying to sell them anyway.

It is reversed now, many artists are using the same techniques to draw their pretty characters and as a result everybody is starting to look the same and that is boring. You might not think it but pretty can be pretty boring.

I don't want comics to be filled up by ugly people I want more individuality among the faces. In the old comics people looked much more different.

Let me give you example: Astro city is a comic book where many of the characters have different faces but still remain on the un-ugly side.