PULP HERO -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PULP HERO -- What Do *You* Want To See?

What I'd like to see is the PH delayed until I finish my Encyclopedia of Pulp Heroes, so I can send you a copy, so it can appear in the Bibliography. :-)

Saving that, some sort of acknowledgment that there was a huge amount of pulp material published outside the US, with a correspondingly vast number of pulp heroes. (I can send you as much material as you'd like on them--you wouldn't have to do any research whatsoever).

Jess Nevins

Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana (Nov., 2005)

Encyclopedia of Pulp Heroes (Nov., 2006)

Encyclopedia of Golden Age Superheroes (Nov., 2007)

Just a quick "Wow, Jess Nevins!"

I really enjoyed your two books on LoEG, and am looking forward to your book on Victoriana. I'd urge anyone interested in fantastic literature to head to Amazon and take a look. :)

Agreed "Demonjuice" It might also be useful to have the timeline "extended" a bit past the "classic" Pulp era (after World War II that is) with lists of when some inventions were first developed and first marketed so that "brilliant inventor" type players can come up with things a bit ahead of their "real world" invention times.

I agree, but I am thinking about a little more then that. something like alternative technological routes and theories.

for me one of the things that ruined the League of extraordinary gentlmen movie was the fact that they represent comparitively contemporary technology as advanced, and ruined the flavor of the period setting, and WW2 brought an extremely fast level of technological advancement. That is why I would advocate not only using the technological information of the real world, but also the theories that were present at the time. kinda like the distinction that was made between real world, and wild martial arts, but more terraced.

-hope I am making sense

To "Demonjuice" Yeah I could go for that too. Might take a bit of work though ! A bit of research into Nikola Tesla and some of his more radical ideas might produce some interesting "alternative technologies". I think that "Adventures Unlimited Press" has published some books on his alternative technologies, I just don't happen to own any !

OK, I've read all five pages so far and these have not been mentioned.

Pulp is all about feel. There was a comment about making the book 'look' like a pulp book to give the flavour, that's not so important to me but I would like to see a character sheet that conveys a pulp feel to the players. As I'm sure I've said many times before the character sheet is the user interface of the system and Windows has proved that a GUI is much better.

I would also like to see a section explaining how to exploit the toolkit to get a pulp feel to a campaign. By that I don't mean the gadgets and superskills and stuff but how the GM can choke down certain parts of the system and bring other sections into much greater focus to get a pulp feel to the system.

As for those wanting an adventure, The Coates Shambler from one of the early Adventurer's Club was one of the best scenarios I've ever played and ran. A reprise of that would probably suffice.

I'm looking forward to this. Justice Inc has been my favourite HERO supplement of all time - could the Justice Inc be retained as a sub-heading for Pulp HERO (I understand why it isn't being released as Justice Inc).

Doc

there are a few critters from previous Hero products you might want to give a 5th ed Facelift to... there was a character from *Gasps* was it Dark champions? who had been an adventurer for nearly 100 years by the time of DC.. Can that be right? The one with the Tarot Deck.

might be fun to see him as a sample begginer character....

Don't know too many books borrowed from too many friends to long ago...

Agreed "Demonjuice" It might also be useful to have the timeline "extended" a bit past the "classic" Pulp era (after World War II that is) with lists of when some inventions were first developed and first marketed so that "brilliant inventor" type players can come up with things a bit ahead of their "real world" invention times.

Seconded. This could also support alternate worlds where the "Pulp Era" extended into and past WWII (or WWII never happened, etc.). It seems obvious to me that there won't be a lot of room (if any) for extensive alternate pulp worlds discussion, but any information relevant to the main thesis of the book that could be so used would be excellent, and I think your suggestion would quality.

there are a few critters from previous Hero products you might want to give a 5th ed Facelift to... there was a character from *Gasps* was it Dark champions? who had been an adventurer for nearly 100 years by the time of DC.. Can that be right? The one with the Tarot Deck.

might be fun to see him as a sample begginer character....

Don't know too many books borrowed from too many friends to long ago...

That would be the Raven, whom I would definetly like to see written up in Pulp Hero and the Velvet Phantom as well. They're both cool characters as far as I'm concerned and I personally find them more interesting then I ever found the Blue Moon Killer. I would also like write-ups on The Golden Tiger, Sam Spivey, Scarlet Shadow and Jim Battle and the Science Police. Naturally Dr. Fang and his Alliance of Evil need to appear too. :)

The following Adventurers Club articles updated for 5th Edition:

#5: The Hawkes Phantom (Town Map)

#7: Gadgets and Treasures (The Mercy Gun)

#9: Darko Fon-Jager, The Empire Club (Package Deals)

#10: Hands of the Strangler (Map of San Francisco)

#11: Care and Feeding of Deathtraps (Expand Justice Inc. section), Exotic Weapons for Justice, Inc.

#13 (Bonus Issue): New JI Package Deals

#14: Autogiris and Airships

#15: Empire Club (Black and White Movie Monsters)

#18: Empire Club (Ham-Hand's (The Black Peral))

#21: Carolina Caldwell and the Quest for the Gold Idol, "Curse You, You Fiend"

Non Justice, Inc articles that should be considered:

#3: Terror in the Treasures (Museum Map, adventure could be adapted as a horror scenario)

#8: Sound the Alarm, Part One

#9: Sound the Alarm, Part Two (foucsing on Pulp Hero era devices)

Expanding the timeline to cover WW I and after WW II. Some Pulp Hero characters will be veterans of World War I, and possibly continue to adventure after WW II (as did Doc Savage, The Shadow and the Phantom Detective).

First off, let me say that I am ecstatic about this thread and that the project is finally moving forward! Kudos to you Steve, for breathing new life into Justice Inc. Now, on to my comments . . .

To start, I’d love to see a classic-style pulp cover, along the lines of the original Justice, Inc. – one with lot’s of color, not that horrid sepia tone they used for Adventure.

As many appropriate interior illustrations as possible—but spare us cartoonish or manga-like images, please, there’s too much of that already and it doesn’t fit the style.

An extensive table of world destinations with costs and travel times by transportation type would be appreciated. With that in mind, more details on the special challenges and dangers faced by travelers in that era would be ideal.

An extensive technology table, with dates of invention and their widespread availability in developed countries.

A discussion of scientific models in vogue at the time. Which theories were dominant in each field? Which were on their way out but still had adherents? What were some of the fringe scientific beliefs and predictions of the time?

A discussion of period technology, especially radio (in terms of its portability and environmental conditions that can effect transmission and reception), and the telephone system. Players will be using these constantly, they deserve special coverage.

Lot’s of advice for running pulp adventures, especially for capturing that breathless sense of adventure they engendered. For example: how to keep the pace moving, how to build suspense, how to design interesting death traps with samples and possible escapes, and an extensive section on creating and role-playing criminal masterminds and their modus operandi.

Also, David Blue’s comments on ammunition and animals are very salient and would add novelty and flavor to the product.

Finally, not necessarily in the main book, but definitely worth a supplement: A detailed urban setting, like Hudson City. Ideally this would be a new city, like Brian Misiaszek’s great idea for a “Pulp Apple†version of New York City. I have already done most of the work for my bi-weekly “Omega City†campaign, actually, only for San Francisco.

Sorry my first post is so long, but with this new forum I just got so excited. Can’t wait for GenCon - my lurking days on these boards are done!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to see National Treasure and I'm hoping to see Sahara while it's still in theatres.

So, I would like to see a small section for how best to run a modern pulp campaign. I figure most people would consider it a cross between Dark Champions and Pulp Hero, however, Dark Champions is more gritty than the above movies.

Just a thought.

I do agree that highlighting the differences between supers and pulps is a good idea. A masked vigilante isn't a superhero, and vice versa. A discussion of pulp subgenre; espescially noir, lost worlds, jungle stories, the weird orient, and the like.

I would like to see something to do with cults. A small section on creating them or tailoring them for the campaign. I am glad to see a description of Pulp as I have a hard time trying to explain it to my players. Lots of maps would be great as well as an adventure or two to get people going with the right feel.

I would like to see something to do with cults. A small section on creating them or tailoring them for the campaign. I am glad to see a description of Pulp as I have a hard time trying to explain it to my players. Lots of maps would be great as well as an adventure or two to get people going with the right feel.

ooohhh, good call...

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of maps would be great as well as an adventure or two to get people going with the right feel.

Given time constraints, I'd rather have a couple dozen good hooks than one or two adventures.

But then I'm a seat-of-the-pants style GM.

And I'm mad.

Ooh yeah, and a random Nazi naming generator would be cool too.

• 3 weeks later...

Given time constraints, I'd rather have a couple dozen good hooks than one or two adventures.

But then I'm a seat-of-the-pants style GM.

And I'm mad.

Ooh yeah, and a random Nazi naming generator would be cool too.

Something like the "Adventure Seeds" that are used in "GURPS" ? A quick one paragraph description of an adventure idea that can get the Referee thinking and can be turned into an adventure with just a little fleshing out. Sounds good to me !

Steve-O:

I'm sure you've written up 1 & 2 already, but they're related to #3, and #3 is important to me.

1) A detailed analysis of supporting characters in the Pulp HERO genre. (Duh)

2) A detailed analysis of playing supporting characters. (Should be a big duh)

3) A detailed analysis of GMing for supporting characters.

Now, I find this to be difficult. In Champions campaigns, it's hard to run adventures that are equally interesting to players built with 50 points less. In the Pulp Genre, those characters are even MORE common, and some commentary on running adventures catered towards supporting sidekicks.

Thanks!

Mmmh If I Have to be honest I'd like to see a Pulp Era RPG Book that does justice to Europe.

I mean we all know that Pulp comes from America but those years ( 20ies and 30ies) were very interesting even this side of the pond and I was very disappointed that ( for example) pulp adventures from ICE ( that was a marvelous book) did very litlle justice to this with some historical inaccuracies.

We had writers, poets and illustrators that, even if they were not technically pulp, were pivotal in creating the worlwide feeling of Pulpness ( does this word exist ?). A brief mention to their works would complete the book in my opinion.

And sure, I'd love to see Italy well described because I think that it has some RPG interesting peculiarities ( that were the shady years of the rising fascism, we were full of conspiracies and we'got the Vatican) and mostly because we are always the cinderella of any setting and sourcebook ( In Rift we are brought back to the Roman Empire !!!).

Just plain old campanilism

But in any case I blindly trust Hero Games ( and Steven) and I know that the book will be awesome.

Ciao

Agreed "Andrea". Something on the situation in Europe during the Pulp era would be very useful. The idea of a bunch of P C's running around in Italy or Germany trying to foil the fascists or obtain some artifact is very appealing to me. We should at least get some write ups on the various European organizations (such as the Abwehr, the OGPU and whatever secret service Mussolini had) that the players might have to face !

• 2 weeks later...

Arch villain creation ideas or guidelines.

Travel time between locations. For example, how long did it take to travel between NYC and London in 1934 in a plane? In a boat? Just provide standard means of transportation for the time with info about average flight/sail/drive speeds.

And finally -- I'd like to see the game!! Release date says mid-2005, which is now. I'm really looking forward to it.