Champions Clix

levi

I am starting this thread to see if there is enough interest from the masses of players out there to see Herogames' Champions characters make it to clix format. I for one would be as jazzed about Champions clix as I am about Marvel or DC and moreso than Indy. Wouldn't it be cool to have a Doctor Destroyer heroclix fig? These two companies should get together and hammer out some licensing agreements before the end of 2003. Maybe I'm alone here, just wanted to test the waters...

I think that there would be virtually universal aclaim, on these boards, for Champions Clix. The problem would be that outside of Herophiles, there would be very little interest in such a product. Why would the average Clix player want to play some obscure third party game character when he can play Superman or Spidey?

Given that I imagine that terms would be difficult to come to. DOJ would view the characters as too valuable to license. While WizKids would proably view the license as nearly worthless, why pay DOJ for obscure characters when they can just create their own without any licensing restrictions. So I just don't imagine the two companies will ever even bother to talk.

Guest Champsguy

Well, for a while there was talk of Heroclix doing a run of Indy comics figures, though I don't know what happened to that. I suppose that opens up some possibility of Champions clix, however remote.

I would think that about the only way something like this would ever float was if they did a series of superhero gaming clix. Silver Age Sentinals, Mutants and Masterminds, Champions, Aberrent (if it's still alive) and so on in a mixed run.

I suspect that would be a licencing nightmare on the part of Wizkids though. I mean, DOJ doesn't even own full rights to many of their 4th edition characters.

Well, the latest set due is Independant Clix. They will even have Judge Dredd! :)

So, it is not impossible for soem to sneak into this set. Actually, you coudl do a whole set of the various RPGs out there, and make each RPG their own faction in game, or two.

Now, my question.....

Has anyone analysed clix values to see if we can come to a point system for custom builds? Then we cousdl indeed incorporate some custom clix ourselves. Maybe even do a conversion rules write up for HERO to Clix. This coudl allow for some advanced options to be added to Clix even.

All of my clix have gone under the x-acto and paintbrush. A little sculpty and there you are. I find the Clix game as boring as CCGs and much prefer to use them as Hero System minis. I'm sure you can find plenty of figures to modify for CU characters.

The beauty is the store I frequent (shout out: Sarge's in New London) has the dollar bin of low point figs. I scored a metric F-load of SWAT guys for none cash!

Originally posted by i3ullseye

Has anyone analysed clix values to see if we can come to a point system for custom builds? Then we cousdl indeed incorporate some custom clix ourselves. Maybe even do a conversion rules write up for HERO to Clix. This coudl allow for some advanced options to be added to Clix even.

Apparently there is a program in Excel that will calculate figure costs. (Don't have it. Yet!) but you also need something to actually make the dial.

Well I personally could care less about the whole hero clix thing. I was not impressed with the game when I played it but hey thats just me. However I would love to see HERO minis for this great game we all love. I know it will never happen but hey a player can dream cant he? Steve if you read this post I hope you keep it in the back of your mind if ever you guys have some extra cash to spend and you dont know where to spend it...invest in getting some minis put out! That would take playing HEROES to a whole other level. Ok I said my peace. Remember Steve...minis,minis,minis. :D

Mini Maligning

The problem with HERO system minis has always been that the heroes we create are far to varied to make a set of minis that the majority of us would buy. With fanatasy gaming it is much easier to produce a line of minis (1 male, 1 female of 2 races for each character class) that would appeal to the vast majority of that game's players. For Champions you would need a variety of characters that would be simply to broad and expensive compared to the return on investment it would net.

I have been to several gaming cons since Clix came out and almost every game I have seen run has been using Clix for their minis. I know that in my games at home we do this as well and it works great! What might be profitable would be a set of villans from CKC these are pretty universally used/recognized (whether your playing in campaigns from Cali to Michigan you've probably faced off against Ogre, Lazer or even Grond).

Originally posted by Bartman

...Why would the average Clix player want to play some obscure third party game character when he can play Superman or Spidey?...

I agree with most of Bartman's post, but I have to say that I would LOVE to see Doctor Destroyer wipe the floor with Superman and Spidey in a Clix game.

Originally posted by levi

I agree with most of Bartman's post, but I have to say that I would LOVE to see Doctor Destroyer wipe the floor with Superman and Spidey in a Clix game.

Hey I'm not saying that I wouldn't. I would love to have quick knockdown fights between Blue Beatle and Seeker. I just think that you and I are in a tiny minority of WizKids potential customers.

I would think that rather than trying to make traditional minis, it would be better (for variety purposes) to have something like the HeroMachine with an option to print the completed character into a Cardboard Heroes sort of format.

I realize that there's a webpage out there with a procedure for turning HeroMachine characters into paper minis, but it requires graphic editing software (PhotoShop or something similar). I would think that it wouldn't be too difficult to create a single program to do it all, and perhaps offer upgrade packs for fantasy heroes, sci-fi heroes, old West heroes, etc....

Originally posted by steriaca

Now the real fun begins. Make Foxbat and Doctor Destroyer (in his jazzy new armor).

Of course, you could always "wimp out" and make Menton (heck, all you need is an typical guy fig, and paint him so that he is wearing normal clothing...)

For the time being I'm just trying to make all the PCs and home campaign specific villains. I did Ankylosaur and Green Dragon becouse they were taken as hunteds by two players.

I've been thinking about Doctor Destroyer though, Booster Gold body, some one elses arms and head. This could probobly work out well, of course I thought that about Green Dragon. Foxbat would probably make an easy translation from Batman. Currently I'm working on Armadillo, Holocaust and Dark Harlequin,(Black harlequin?).

Originally posted by Blue

Be sure to make Mechanon's head detachable.

(Sorry, too much Mechanon thread for me!)

Mechanon will probobly get made sooner or later. I can't decide which version to make though.