Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Aftermath of events in previous sessions starts to stack up on the investigators. The Arkham police want to interview them all about events in Virginia for one thing. And McGinty has two suspiciously oblong boxes to get out of New York. Only one has airholes.

To my utter pleasure they all give different versions of events to the police, although they are all genuinely appalled when told of the four topless corpses dug up from the basement. This will not end well. And when Amy hears what the boys got up to in New York, and sees what McGinty's dragging down the steps to the freezer cabinets in the basement, she's so horrified she decides to move to Cambridge. But then investigating the Mythos is emotionally trying.

Amy
: The Mythos made McGinty that way!

Me, GM
: It could also have been the obscene alcohol intake.

Dr von Habsburg claims ignorance

Dr vH
: You didn't tell me anything!

The Amazing Julius
: Sure I did. I told you McGinty's friends are sick ****s

McGinty has an excuse to get out of town too - one of his unnamed associates wants him to install four aircraft engines into the back of a small boat. Amy faces other challenges - a visit to her parents, who go on at length about how the new twelve-mile limit would get rid of that awful Rum Row off Boston's coast; the increasing reward for the Crimson Gang; and when will Amy settle down and marry some nice well-bred gentleman?

But it's a small article in the Globe that captures her attention. (scenario suggested by Dave Ford. Message me if you want details to run in your own campaigns)

MYSTERIOUS DEATHS IN SOUTH BOSTON BOARDINGHOUSE
- Olaf Henriksson ( carpenter, 37 ) was killed today in circumstances our fine police describe as suspicious. Witnesses at the Dock Lane boardinghouse state that they were woken by his cries in the early morning, and saw him thrown or pushed from the fourth floor landing to his death below. However, despite an immediate search for the assailant no-one has been apprehended.

This unfortunate case follows the death of Carl Dietz ( plumber, 41) in the same room the previous week, of causes then described as unknown.

Naturally, she calls in her associates, and they make conversation and plans over dinner. Rondale, under advice from Dr von Habsburg, has changed his insomnia prescription to one of the new German wonderdrugs. They invent a lot of tranquillisers, those Germans.

Rondale
: They're such a happy, upbeat people. They need downers.

Amy is sharing a flat with Lucy Smith, who's behaviour has become increasingly odd since the events in Innsmouth. For one thing she keeps checking herself in the mirror and asking if her eyes are getting bigger.

Rondale
: Eyes getting bigger? Tell her not to worry - I find that attractive in a woman.

Amy chokes for bit, and decides not to tell Rondale what they knew about Lucy's ancestors. He has a long history of killing Deep One hybrids, after all.

Some outrageous bluff by Guiliano gets them into the flophouse in question - a four storey building near the docks, surrounded on three sides with warehouses and other businesses even taller. The place is falling apart, and each existing room subdivided to maximise profits. The death room itself seems unremarkable - the only oddities being the way the nailed-shut window has been forced fully open , two glasses in a room where you're not allowed to have guests, and a length of pipe in one corner. There's no fire escape, and the guttering above the window is rusted so badly that large holes are already present.

Close inspection reveals that glasses and pipe still stink of homemade booze, but a search of the building reveals no illicit stills. There's no room in the roofspace either, and Guiliano is reluctant to even climb in there.

TAJ
: I'm the magician, not the assistant

Inspiration strikes, and the players realise that the deceased must have been piping the alcohol in from somewhere else - collecting it as it dripped from the hole in the guttering. That leads them around the block to one of the adjoining warehouses ... but that building is locked tight and long abandoned, all doors and ground-floor windows boarded up. Tracking down the owners "because we want a place to store all the bodies" doesn't help because the building's latest owner turns out to be fictional. The veterinarian at the address listed seems helpful enough though.

TAJ
: How long can a rabbit go without breathing?

They can't find any hidden access from the neighboring businesses either, despite claiming to be health inspectors from the CDC investigating possible disease risks seeping from the empty warehouse.

Amy
: Telling them both the same story

TAJ
: *
heavy irony
* What a radical concept!

Jumping on the floorboards in the basement of the linoleum factory does suggest an open underground space, but there's no sign of an access-way there either. The view from the roof of the shipping company to the west does reveal one anomaly about the abandoned building - a brand-new metal chimney, emerging from a hole cut in the warehouse's sloping tin roof. So they decide to come back after night and break in.

Amy
: You know, this is the kind of situation I wish McGinty was here for.

Rondale
: Yes, I can picture him now - head out the window, mouth open catching the drops.

The warehouse is a single open space two stories high, here at ground level. Assorted trash, broken glass, and rusting bearing and a freight elevator are the only details. Stairs to the upper floors have collapsed from age. One peculiarity of the lift - a new cord running from below ground level up into the higher floors. They carefully don't tug on it, and Rondale carefully climbs and sneaks up through the dark, mouldy building, until he reaches the top floor, where three figures wait, two seated at a table, one leaning on a crutch and the wall beside a door opposite the stairs. They don't move. Or even breath, since they're all weeks dead. The two at the table have had playing cards wired into their hands, in mockery of a card game.

Rondale opens the unlocked door opposite, gun ready, and finds a large still, stacks of empty sugar sacks and other brewing ingredients, barrels, empty tin cans, and a terrified madman who's been dying of starvation and thirst for weeks. Rondale fetches Guiliano, since for some reason the pathetic figure keeps begging that he's done everything he was told to do, and struggles frantically every time Rondale tries to get him out of the room.

There's a reason for that - since the moment they get him out the door the corpse beside it lurches upright and starts to swing at the captive with the crutch as a club. Rondale puts two bullets between it's eyesockets, but not before the screams and gunfire panic the doctor and nurse waiting five floors below. They run to assist, but Rondale doesn't want to upset them with the details.

Amy
: What happened? What happened?

Rondale
: Nothing, honestly, you don't want to know, I've dealt with it.

Amy
: Then what was the shooting about?

Rondale
: Well, when a corpse takes a swing at you you tend to be a little surprised.

Amy
: Whaaaaat?
:nonp:

Rondale
: I
told
you you wouldn't want to know.

Rondale
: I generally shoot everything in the head.

Me, GM
: Remember that when you run into

It turns out that the man - kidnapped by persons unknown to operate the still - has been trapped here for weeks. Nobody has come to bring more food or supplies, and every time he tried to leave the zombie guard attacked him. Half-mad from malnutrition and terror, he's been getting the recipe wrong too - instead of ethyl alcohol, the leaking still has been pumping out methyl alcohol, that condensed on the roof at night, dripped down onto the boarding house, was discovered and eagerly collected by the late men there, who drank it and went blind, mad, or dead as a result. There WAS no mystery assailant - the carpenter had woken to find himself blind, panicked, and fell over the railing all by himself.

They determine that the cord triggers a bell, and the bell triggers the other two zombies to get up and starting winching the freight elevator. And below street level is a tunnel running out beneath Boston, currently decorated with empty barrels, bootlegging supplies, multitudinous bloodstains, a mess of bootprints and weirdly cleft paw prints, and a corpse nailed by it's feet to the roof beams. That corpse takes offense at the Doctor's attempt at post-mortem inspection, but a hail of gunfire soon puts an end to that ingrate display. Faced with a maze of tunnels and no mad Irishman to take point, the party decide their best option is to retreat, anonymously dump the poor moonshiner at the nearest asylum, and forget it all ever happened.

GM
: "DeAr SiR, PlEEZ LooK After this POOR Madman"

Rondale
: "KTHANX BAI"

But' date=' before it dies, it's still killing people *And* setting your stuff on fire.[/quote']

This used to be the tactic of an old teammate. She had a Wolverine like regen so, when the occasion arose (and it did so quite often), she would get set on fire and go hug / kung fu villains. Bad Guy: "Is Richard prior doing crane style?"

La Rose.

Rumbaba
: Adrie can stay here and keep the wolves cowed, and other zoological wordplay.

Why setting the woods on fire is a bad idea

GM
: Smokey the were-bear turns up and beats the ****ing **** out of you with a shovel.

Adrie transforms to carry a prisoner

Adrie
: I don't want any jokes about him riding me bareback.

Rumbaba
puzzled
* There's an alternative?

Mysterious monster is killing livestock. It has talons.

Rumbaba
: Well, we've narrowed it down to probably not mammalian. Unless it's some construct like a bear with giant dodo legs, or something.

Rumbaba
: It's not a gelatinous cube.

GM
: Obviously. They don't fly.

Rumbaba
: Gelatinous zeppelin?

GM
: That's a good idea...

Rumbaba
: I've just violated Rule One, haven't I?

Tarmikos
: And not knowing what it is is making it even more scary.

Rumbaba
: I'm sure we can reassure the locals if someone will just tell me what the Latin for '****ed if I know' is.

GM
: Knock - useful spell for those wizards that keep locking their keys inside the tower. Whatever happened to the days of 'Speak friend, and enter'?

Dragonborn cleric
: There
are
ancient rituals to appease dragons...

Rumbaba
: But you can't get the virgins these days.

Dragonborn cleric
: And what would
you
know about virginity?

Rumbaba
: I know it doesn't seem to last when I'm around.

GM
: Frightful peasants ... I mean presence

Rumbaba
: That anything like 'the people are revolting'?

Rumbaba
: I can't run, my knees are knocking too hard.

Arjhan
: Dragon! These lands are not yours! You are not bronze!

Rumbaba
: Ok, NOW I'm running

Grunhart Junger, adolescent trespassing dragon, claims to be here with permission.

Grunhart
: I am a guest of the one who walks half in Terra Firma, half in Fey! The Master of Spring! You know, that dude.

Rumbaba
: Yup, he's a teenager alright...

Grunhart & Arjhan the Dragonborn get into a shouting match.

Rumbaba
: If they had external genitalia they'd be waving them at each other by now...

Rumbaba
: We've already informed the authorities that there's a dragon hanging around. Barakus and the other bronze dragons are
not
going to be happy that it's green.

GM
: It ain't easy being green.

The Master of Spring isn't happy either, and insists the dispute be settled with ritual combat.

Rumbaba
: I'll go find some sponges and a bucket then...

Post-match party - amazingly, both contestants survive, although I'm certain Grunhart is going to be out for revenge. Anyway...

Rumbaba
: So, how many people go blind from the illicit plum brandy?

Aftermath of events in previous sessions starts to stack up on the investigators. The Arkham police want to interview them all about events in Virginia for one thing. And McGinty has two suspiciously oblong boxes to get out of New York. Only one has airholes.

To my utter pleasure they all give different versions of events to the police, although they are all genuinely appalled when told of the four topless corpses dug up from the basement. This will not end well. And when Amy hears what the boys got up to in New York, and sees what McGinty's dragging down the steps to the freezer cabinets in the basement, she's so horrified she decides to move to Cambridge. But then investigating the Mythos is emotionally trying.

Amy
: The Mythos made McGinty that way!

Me, GM
: It could also have been the obscene alcohol intake.

Dr von Habsburg claims ignorance

Dr vH
: You didn't tell me anything!

The Amazing Julius
: Sure I did. I told you McGinty's friends are sick ****s

McGinty has an excuse to get out of town too - one of his unnamed associates wants him to install four aircraft engines into the back of a small boat. Amy faces other challenges - a visit to her parents, who go on at length about how the new twelve-mile limit would get rid of that awful Rum Row off Boston's coast; the increasing reward for the Crimson Gang; and when will Amy settle down and marry some nice well-bred gentleman?

But it's a small article in the Globe that captures her attention. (scenario suggested by Dave Ford. Message me if you want details to run in your own campaigns)

MYSTERIOUS DEATHS IN SOUTH BOSTON BOARDINGHOUSE
- Olaf Henriksson ( carpenter, 37 ) was killed today in circumstances our fine police describe as suspicious. Witnesses at the Dock Lane boardinghouse state that they were woken by his cries in the early morning, and saw him thrown or pushed from the fourth floor landing to his death below. However, despite an immediate search for the assailant no-one has been apprehended.

This unfortunate case follows the death of Carl Dietz ( plumber, 41) in the same room the previous week, of causes then described as unknown.

Naturally, she calls in her associates, and they make conversation and plans over dinner. Rondale, under advice from Dr von Habsburg, has changed his insomnia prescription to one of the new German wonderdrugs. They invent a lot of tranquillisers, those Germans.

Rondale
: They're such a happy, upbeat people. They need downers.

Amy is sharing a flat with Lucy Smith, who's behaviour has become increasingly odd since the events in Innsmouth. For one thing she keeps checking herself in the mirror and asking if her eyes are getting bigger.

Rondale
: Eyes getting bigger? Tell her not to worry - I find that attractive in a woman.

Amy chokes for bit, and decides not to tell Rondale what they knew about Lucy's ancestors. He has a long history of killing Deep One hybrids, after all.

Some outrageous bluff by Guiliano gets them into the flophouse in question - a four storey building near the docks, surrounded on three sides with warehouses and other businesses even taller. The place is falling apart, and each existing room subdivided to maximise profits. The death room itself seems unremarkable - the only oddities being the way the nailed-shut window has been forced fully open , two glasses in a room where you're not allowed to have guests, and a length of pipe in one corner. There's no fire escape, and the guttering above the window is rusted so badly that large holes are already present.

Close inspection reveals that glasses and pipe still stink of homemade booze, but a search of the building reveals no illicit stills. There's no room in the roofspace either, and Guiliano is reluctant to even climb in there.

TAJ
: I'm the magician, not the assistant

Inspiration strikes, and the players realise that the deceased must have been piping the alcohol in from somewhere else - collecting it as it dripped from the hole in the guttering. That leads them around the block to one of the adjoining warehouses ... but that building is locked tight and long abandoned, all doors and ground-floor windows boarded up. Tracking down the owners "because we want a place to store all the bodies" doesn't help because the building's latest owner turns out to be fictional. The veterinarian at the address listed seems helpful enough though.

TAJ
: How long can a rabbit go without breathing?

They can't find any hidden access from the neighboring businesses either, despite claiming to be health inspectors from the CDC investigating possible disease risks seeping from the empty warehouse.

Amy
: Telling them both the same story

TAJ
heavy irony
* What a radical concept!

Jumping on the floorboards in the basement of the linoleum factory does suggest an open underground space, but there's no sign of an access-way there either. The view from the roof of the shipping company to the west does reveal one anomaly about the abandoned building - a brand-new metal chimney, emerging from a hole cut in the warehouse's sloping tin roof. So they decide to come back after night and break in.

Amy
: You know, this is the kind of situation I wish McGinty was here for.

Rondale
: Yes, I can picture him now - head out the window, mouth open catching the drops.

The warehouse is a single open space two stories high, here at ground level. Assorted trash, broken glass, and rusting bearing and a freight elevator are the only details. Stairs to the upper floors have collapsed from age. One peculiarity of the lift - a new cord running from below ground level up into the higher floors. They carefully don't tug on it, and Rondale carefully climbs and sneaks up through the dark, mouldy building, until he reaches the top floor, where three figures wait, two seated at a table, one leaning on a crutch and the wall beside a door opposite the stairs. They don't move. Or even breath, since they're all weeks dead. The two at the table have had playing cards wired into their hands, in mockery of a card game.

Rondale opens the unlocked door opposite, gun ready, and finds a large still, stacks of empty sugar sacks and other brewing ingredients, barrels, empty tin cans, and a terrified madman who's been dying of starvation and thirst for weeks. Rondale fetches Guiliano, since for some reason the pathetic figure keeps begging that he's done everything he was told to do, and struggles frantically every time Rondale tries to get him out of the room.

There's a reason for that - since the moment they get him out the door the corpse beside it lurches upright and starts to swing at the captive with the crutch as a club. Rondale puts two bullets between it's eyesockets, but not before the screams and gunfire panic the doctor and nurse waiting five floors below. They run to assist, but Rondale doesn't want to upset them with the details.

Amy
: What happened? What happened?

Rondale
: Nothing, honestly, you don't want to know, I've dealt with it.

Amy
: Then what was the shooting about?

Rondale
: Well, when a corpse takes a swing at you you tend to be a little surprised.

Amy
: Whaaaaat?
:nonp:

Rondale
: I
told
you you wouldn't want to know.

Rondale
: I generally shoot everything in the head.

Me, GM
: Remember that when you run into

It turns out that the man - kidnapped by persons unknown to operate the still - has been trapped here for weeks. Nobody has come to bring more food or supplies, and every time he tried to leave the zombie guard attacked him. Half-mad from malnutrition and terror, he's been getting the recipe wrong too - instead of ethyl alcohol, the leaking still has been pumping out methyl alcohol, that condensed on the roof at night, dripped down onto the boarding house, was discovered and eagerly collected by the late men there, who drank it and went blind, mad, or dead as a result. There WAS no mystery assailant - the carpenter had woken to find himself blind, panicked, and fell over the railing all by himself.

They determine that the cord triggers a bell, and the bell triggers the other two zombies to get up and starting winching the freight elevator. And below street level is a tunnel running out beneath Boston, currently decorated with empty barrels, bootlegging supplies, multitudinous bloodstains, a mess of bootprints and weirdly cleft paw prints, and a corpse nailed by it's feet to the roof beams. That corpse takes offense at the Doctor's attempt at post-mortem inspection, but a hail of gunfire soon puts an end to that ingrate display. Faced with a maze of tunnels and no mad Irishman to take point, the party decide their best option is to retreat, anonymously dump the poor moonshiner at the nearest asylum, and forget it all ever happened.

GM
: "DeAr SiR, PlEEZ LooK After this POOR Madman"

Rondale
: "KTHANX BAI"

The PC investigators would've been slightly better off had they claimed to be from the

U.S. Public Health Service. The CDC didn't exist (at least under that name) until 1946.

Major Tom 2009

The PC investigators would've been slightly better off had they claimed to be from the

U.S. Public Health Service. The CDC didn't exist (at least under that name) until 1946.

It was a really good bluff. ( I thought his dates were a bit off, or he was getting his services confused, but couldn't check from the Guild )

Rumbaba
: Well' date=' we've narrowed it down to probably not mammalian. Unless it's some construct like a bear with giant dodo legs, or something.[/indent']

... And thank you SO much for that mental picture.

Rumbaba
: It's not a gelatinous cube.

GM
: Obviously. They don't fly.

Rumbaba
: Gelatinous zeppelin?

GM
: That's a good idea...

Rumbaba
: I've just violated Rule One, haven't I?

Oh dear, looks like another Polaroid moment is coming.

ONE-SHOT HOLLOW EARTH EXPEDITION

THE CAST

Professor Scrumtumbler the Mad Scientist

Adonia the Amazon Warrior

Cola the Cargo Cultist

Doctor Thelonious the Natural Philosopher

Jeeba the Panther Girl

Professor Scrumtumbler gets into character: "That must be Scrumtumbler snow."

Doctor Thelonious on these so-called 'Surface Dwellers': "...clearly they're the under-dwellers, that explains why they have no hair."

Jeeba: "Jeeba Justice Arrow!" *twang*

Generic Nazi Soldier: "Got in Himmel!" *dies*

Adonia (OOC): "Cola is using Hello Kitty on Nazis."

Adonia's player has been spending too much time playing Left 4 Dead: "Achievement Unlocked: Nazi Whacker."

"Jeeba Justice Dodge!"

"Jeeba Justice Claws!"

Doctor Thelonious: "my [gun] is at least designed to [explode]."

Professor Scrumtumbler: "I fire blindly at the Nazis. I can't be bothered to aim properly, they're not important enough."

Professor Scrumtumbler: "It's the Scrumtumbler artifact of newness."

Jeeba (OOC): "It's an ape with a gun, this game just got more awesome."

Doctor Thelonious on the other PCs: "You can't do better observing primitive cultures than traveling with this lot."

Professor Scrumtumbler: "Quit your whining, you're in the capable of hands of Professor Scrumtumbler."

Doctor Thelonious: "How many non-Atlanteans are not slaves."

The GM: "Besides you? None."

Doctor Thelonious: "F**k."

Professor Scrumtumbler: "The Scrumtumbler building of Atlantean Authority."

Cola convinces Adonia to wear her 'passport' pendant: "Think of it as a way to protect them from you."

Professor Scrumtumbler: "Scrumtumbler cat-bathing technique."

Cola: "Pssst.... Scrumtumbler, wake up...."

Professor Scrumtumbler: *Snort* "Thank you for the Nobel Prize...."

Doctor Thelonious: "As a natural philosopher, I can tell you that engaging in carnal relations has proven conducive to physical improvement."

Professor Scrumtumbler: "The Scrumtumbler does not need pants to fight."

Cola: "Use your evil for good and make sure they don't hurt my friends."

The GM: "A hail of lead, like a rain of justice."

Jeeba: "Can I use a Style Point to get the f**k out of Dodge?"

Doctor Thelonious (OOC): "I am now Afro-Ape!"

Doctor Thelonious (OOC): "Friends don't commonly attack with raptors."

Jeeba drinks the Healing Potion of Shampoo and suffers some ill effects: "I'm agreeing with Isis's plan, but g*****n it's a talking cactus!"

Professor Scrumtumbler: "I will find it for your people—for fame, for fortune, for science!"

Doctor Thelonious: "This is my boom-nut!"

GM (as a Nazi officer): "...our imminent domain!"

Adonia (OOC): "Imminent domain, what, is he Walt Disney?"

Professor Scrumtumbler (OOC): "Hello, Nazi."

Professor Scrumtumbler: "Adonia, watch my back, I'm about to do science!"

Doctor Thelonious: "Oh... we're doomed."

GM: "Scrumtumbler isn't well-grounded."

Adonia (OOC): "He's Scrumtumbler, when was he *ever* well-grounded?"

Cola (OOC): "Wow... that's a lot of awesome."

And one I forgot, that was repeatedly used, since all of us like Red Versus Blue:

"Kill-stealing f***tard!"

"It's a legitimate strategy!"

Originally posted by Susano:

I daresay that, were Charton Heston and James Franciscus standing there

at that moment, that "awesome" is not the word they would use.

Something along the lines of "Oh, @%$#!" would definitely be likely, though.

BTW, is Jeeba basically the Mighty Huntress of your Hidden Earth (or is it

Hollow Earth) campaign?

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

Well' date=' just look at owlbears. What are those wizards [i']smoking[/i]? I mean, Vitus never came up with something that insane, and that's Vitus we're talking about.

Give him time...sooner or later, he'll get bored out of his skull, and the next thing you

know, Ranger Smith'll be carted out of the park wearing a straitjacket babbling about

"mutant grizzly bears", and on his way to an all-expenses paid vacation to Arkham

Asylum (or whatever it's called in CoC).

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Actually, not long ago, I came across the information that a lot of those really weird things in early D&D came about for a single strange reason:

Gygax was using a bunch of cheap plastic toy monsters for some of the very first D&D games, and things like bears with owl heads and eagles with stag heads were among the creatures spawned by some Chinese mass market toy factory that turned up in the mixed bag he'd bought.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a completely different origin

GM: As you creep down the dark tunnel searching for the cultist, arrows come whizzing at you out of the darkness!

Rebecca the Paladin: Theyre here!

Everyone Else: *Stares at Captain Obvious*

Rebecca (OOC): Look, I have a 12 Wisdom, here. Im just working with what Ive got!

GM: As you creep down the dark tunnel searching for the cultist, arrows come whizzing at you out of the darkness!

Rebecca the Paladin: Theyre here!

Everyone Else: *Stares at Captain Obvious*

Rebecca (OOC): Look, I have a 12 Wisdom, here. Im just working with what Ive got!

If I was in that tunnel being ambushed like that, the arrows wouldn't be the only things whizzing in the darkness...

Actually, not long ago, I came across the information that a lot of those really weird things in early D&D came about for a single strange reason:

Gygax was using a bunch of cheap plastic toy monsters for some of the very first D&D games, and things like bears with owl heads and eagles with stag heads were among the creatures spawned by some Chinese mass market toy factory that turned up in the mixed bag he'd bought.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a completely different origin

Eagles with stag heads are Greek in origin. I do remember seeing the "rust monster" toy in bags of what was supposed to be dinosaurs, though.

Originally posted by Susano:

I daresay that, were Charton Heston and James Franciscus standing there

at that moment, that "awesome" is not the word they would use.

Something along the lines of "Oh, @%$#!" would definitely be likely, though.

BTW, is Jeeba basically the Mighty Huntress of your Hidden Earth (or is it

Hollow Earth) campaign?

It's Hollow Earth, and now that you mention it... yes!

Eagles with stag heads are Greek in origin. I do remember seeing the "rust monster" toy in bags of what was supposed to be dinosaurs' date=' though.[/quote']

Actually, the stag-headed eagle (or Peryton) may not be Greek at all, but the invention of Jorge Luis Borges’ Book of Imaginary Beings.

Actually' date=' the stag-headed eagle (or Peryton) may not be Greek at all, but the invention of Jorge Luis Borges’ [i']Book of Imaginary Beings[/i].

Huh....that's interesting. I don't remember where I got the idea that they were Greek. I never would have guessed it was a modern invention...

Give him time...sooner or later, he'll get bored out of his skull, and the next thing you

know, Ranger Smith'll be carted out of the park wearing a straitjacket babbling about

"mutant grizzly bears", and on his way to an all-expenses paid vacation to Arkham

Asylum (or whatever it's called in CoC).

More likely the Mosque of Ibn-Tulun. Vitus is currently up to no good in 1920s Cairo, not that the players know about that. Yet. And he IS doing some magical experimentation. This will not end well....

More likely the Mosque of Ibn-Tulun. Vitus is currently up to no good in 1920s Cairo' date=' not that the players know about that. Yet. And he IS doing some magical experimentation. This will not end well....[/quote']

Is Vitus some kind of temporal plague, or what?! It's getting so you can't go anywhere

in the HERO Multiverse without running into the Qlipothic Dog-Boy from the Tenth Level

of Hell...

Then again, things would be slightly boring without Vitus to stir the pot, as it were.

Is Vitus some kind of temporal plague' date=' or what?! It's getting so you can't go [i']anywhere[/i]

in the HERO Multiverse without running into the Qlipothic Dog-Boy from the Tenth Level

of Hell...

Then again, things would be slightly boring without Vitus to stir the pot, as it were.

Just the HERO Multiverse? Hardly - he's turned up in four different multiverses so far, and even in places *I* never expected. The main reason he's in Cairo is to track down the last existing copy of the original Necronomicon, Alhazrad's Al Azif. Everything else he's up to is back-up plans....