Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

How very heroic...

Detect Sarcasm 11- works

Don't be TOO hard on them, the above was ooc. No actual dance on skull was played out

Just making sure said killer (in that situation) stayed out.

That said, I do like your take on the FX etc

How very heroic...

I like to interpret the rules' description of 0 to -9 Stun as a character who is reeling, but does not necessarily lose his footing, as an indicator that, by the heroes' perception, he is stunned, but not out of the fight. This justifies an additional strike which (as the character is mechanically KO'd) does double stun without forcing the "noble heroes" to routinely kick a man when he's down.

I agree with Serendipity's GM - the standard operating procedures of the heroes would need to be pretty unusual to be unique to them. Surely others have figured out that hitting a guy when he's down reduces the odds he'll get back up, and most villains would have much less trouble with that tactic than many heroes.

This was a pretty standard tactic of my group as well. We just called a "put down". No roll required, just cost the PC their phase. We used 0 to -10 Stun as recover on their phase, -11 to -20 as post 12 recovery only, and -21+ as out of the fight.

This was a pretty standard tactic of my group as well. We just called a "put down". No roll required' date=' just cost the PC their phase. We used 0 to -10 Stun as recover on their phase, -11 to -20 as post 12 recovery only, and -21+ as out of the fight.[/quote']

I don't ever recall adopting -21 as out of the fight, but "once per minute" is pretty much the same thing. Actually, it has worked to the heros' advantage on a couple of occasions when one PC spends time trying to wake up another PC, moving them a step up the chart. Played out or not, "one more hit so he stays down" just doesn't feel right to me.

However, it's game style that encourages it. If most combats include several instances of an opponent dropping to the ground, then recovering and rejoining the fight shortly thereafter, the players learn that the best way to win is kicking a man when he's down. If they only fall at -10 or lower (when they only recover once a turn), those events become less frequent, so "kick a man when he's down" is less valuable (although another hit when he's below 0 STUN remains pretty common, it's the fight-ending punch, instead of striking a downed opponent). If many opponents who recover after being KO'd glance around and exercise the better part of valour, rather than throwing themselves back into the fight, regardless of the odds, there's also less motivation to use a phase attacking a downed opponent.

In a Supers game where the PC's routinely kick a man when he's down, and their opponentss regularly rejoin the battle, refusing to give up even against impossible odds, rather than slinking off to lick their wounds, how does one tell the heroes from the villains?

Slyfox, who earlier was facing a rather comical group of foes to protect a lady, gets hit by a switch over by a hunted as Mechassassin shows up out for his head (Hunted rolls can be a pain).

He handles it pretty well given the 'more powerful' aspect

The rakish grin melts from Slyfox's face as an arctic chill runs down his spine. He turns to Veronica, a graven look on his face. "Run. Run and don't stop running until you are in the middle of the nearest police station."

He musters some courage, puts himself between the girl and Mechassassin's line of fire and opens a foxhole in front of him. "I don't know how you crawled out of whatever hole they put you in, but I hope you enjoyed your time in the fresh air, because your going right back in."

In a Supers game where the PC's routinely kick a man when he's down' date=' and their opponentss regularly rejoin the battle, refusing to give up even against impossible odds, rather than slinking off to lick their wounds, how does one tell the heroes from the villains?[/quote']

In one of our games, there was a rather comic mis-understanding between the players and GM regarding what qualified as an indicator of consciousness.

Dynamo (An energy-absorbing brick): What is he doing?

GM: Moaning piteously.

Dynamo: I thump him!

::roll dice, calculate damage::

Dynamo: Now what's he doing?

GM: He moans some more.

Dynamo: I'm 'onna thump him again!

::Wash rinse, repeat::

Dynamo: (OOC) Is this guy out yet?

GM: What do you mean "yet?" He was at "GMs discretion" three thumps ago!

In one of our games, there was a rather comic mis-understanding between the players and GM regarding what qualified as an indicator of consciousness.

Dynamo (An energy-absorbing brick): What is he doing?

GM: Moaning piteously.

Dynamo: I thump him!

::roll dice, calculate damage::

Dynamo: Now what's he doing?

GM: He moans some more.

Dynamo: I'm 'onna thump him again!

::Wash rinse, repeat::

Dynamo: (OOC) Is this guy out yet?

GM: What do you mean "yet?" He was at "GMs discretion" three thumps ago!

communication problems between GM and players are often rough on the NPC villains *nod*

In a Supers game where the PC's routinely kick a man when he's down' date=' and their opponentss regularly rejoin the battle, refusing to give up even against impossible odds, rather than slinking off to lick their wounds, how does one tell the heroes from the villains?[/quote']

The heroes are the ones that cut the supervillainess's throat when she's unconscious. Although possibly that's just Vitus.

The heroes are the ones that cut the supervillainess's throat when she's unconscious. Although possibly that's just Vitus.

That sounds like something Vitus would do, all right. Anyone who's got the sheer, un-

mitigated gall to insult Eurostar (and the pair of brass b***s to go with the gall)

wouldn't have any problem whatsoever with dealing decisively with any threat, by

any means necessary (in his opinion, of course -- Vitus' definition of "necessary" is

undoubtebly different from that of the average Joe Blow on the street).

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

"Problem? *SHHHLLLLICT!!* What problem?"

That sounds like something Vitus would do, all right. Anyone who's got the sheer, un-

mitigated gall to insult Eurostar (and the pair of brass b***s to go with the gall)

wouldn't have any problem whatsoever with dealing decisively with any threat, by

any means necessary (in his opinion, of course -- Vitus' definition of "necessary" is

undoubtebly different from that of the average Joe Blow on the street).

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

"Problem? *SHHHLLLLICT!!* What problem?"

All quite true. But you must bear in mind that that whole situation with Eurostar started because a reporter asked him if he could beat Eurostar and he replied "Who?" It kind of snowballed, after that.

Back in the days when I still played D&D we had a group that was basically good until it came to killing the opposition, at which point there were no-holes-barred. At one point they were routing orcs that were infesting some caves near a caravan route when they came upon the main cave full of orcish women and children.

Elf fighter/magicuser: "I start killing them, because I'm and elf and I hate orcs."

Halfling fighter/thief: "I start killing them so I can loot the bodies. Besides, halflings hate orcs too."

Human cleric: "I start killing them too, so we can get this done faster."

GM: "You're a neutral good cleric. You can't go killing orc kids."

Human cleric: "My church believes in reincarnation. I am doing my duty to give them a shot at a better life."

Back in the days when I still played D&D we had a group that was basically good until it came to killing the opposition, at which point there were no-holes-barred. At one point they were routing orcs that were infesting some caves near a caravan route when they came upon the main cave full of orcish women and children.

Elf fighter/magicuser: "I start killing them, because I'm and elf and I hate orcs."

Halfling fighter/thief: "I start killing them so I can loot the bodies. Besides, halflings hate orcs too."

Human cleric: "I start killing them too, so we can get this done faster."

GM: "You're a neutral good cleric. You can't go killing orc kids."

Human cleric: "My church believes in reincarnation. I am doing my duty to give them a shot at a better life."

Similar but not identical situation with a DnD group many years ago. The three players were a Human fighter (raised by dwarves), a human sorcerer, a half-elf bard, and a npc half orc barbarian. When they encountered a bunch of goblin women and children, the fighter wanted to kill them 'because they'll grow up to be evil' while the others objected. When they were ambushed by a group of human bandits and captured some, the sorcerer wanted to kill them 'because they tried to kill me' while the others objected.

Some more Embria quotes.

For those who may have forgotten-

Metreon: Human Wizard (looks like young Ian McKellan)

Chyra: Human Undead-aspect Sorcoress and budding Necromantress (looks like Skye Sweetnam)

Leigh: Human Cleric or Pelor the Sun-God (looks like Christian Bale)

Varga: Human Barbarian (looks like Phoenix from American Gladiators)

Helda: Human Rogue and Varga's little sister (looks like Kelly Lords)

Rhiannon: Half Elf FIghter-Rogue "Commando" (looks like Hayden Panetierre)

See artwork of them in my sig

---------------------------

GM: Helda will follow Rhiannon...

Varga (OOC) The blonde leading the blonde

-----------------

Metreon (OOC): The LAST thing I want to see is a Dragon with Improved Initiative!

Rhiannon (OOC): It probably would be! ;)

------------------

GM: Ok, Varga hits

Varga (OOC): ....I need more dice!

-------------------

Metreon (OOC): I dont appreciate being "Kenny" in this scenario*

(*"They killed Kenny!" - South Park)

---------------------

Metreon (OOC): The Dragon "reached out and touch me".

Varga (OOC): In all the wrong places!

--------------------

GM: Leigh heals you for half the damage that the Dragon's acid breath did to you.

Metreon: *Bleary* ....Make me unconscious again......

----------------

Metreon (OOC): Hang on a second...hang on a second....hang on a second.....no nevermind.

----------------

Chyra: Varga! Rhi! Kill the Dragon! That way the evil wizard's on the ground!

Rhiannon: What the hey! Its ONLY another Dragon ;P

(At this point Varga has been materially responsible in the slaying of three...soon to be four....Dragons)

------------------

GM: In addition to all of the items listed, the gold, the silver, and the rest of the hoard in the cave, you also find, seemingly asleep on a black stone altar.... *shows us a picture of Carrie Stephens, a remarkably gorgeous redhead* Her! The Lady in Green, ruler of the Elves of the Night Tree Forest!

Metreon (OOC): That means shes treasure!

Rhiannon (OOC): PARTY treasure! ;P

The party - still roped in as law enforcement - are standing around the woods with one of the people they just killed in self defence.

Al the Wizard
: Are you saying the cops are in the copse with the corpse?

Al the Wizard
: Sheep and goats only want you to
think
they're herbivores. That's why you hardly ever see dead shepherds.

Al the Wizard
: If you can't laugh at hideous mutants, who can you laugh at?

Hope the Paladin
: Hideous Mutant Babies?

Interrogating a victim

Al the Wizard
: And where does your family live?

Olessa
: Um.... Baker Street

Al the Wizard
: And what is your father's profession?

Rumbaba OOC
: Consulting Detective

Rumbaba
: There are holes in her story big enough to drive a Tarrasque through.

Al the Wizard
: Make a note gents - we have to confirm what species the suspect is. He's already been identified as three different things - in one sentence.

Murray, GM
: He's got a point.

Al the Wizard
: Yes, usually it's on top of my head.

Rumbaba
: The only way to be sure is to cut him in half and see if he says GNOME all the way through.

Hope
: Do bugbears speak Buggery?

Al
: No, but it is their national sport

Rumbaba
: I'm not stupid, I'm not going in a cave alone!

Al
: Especially when you're shaped like a chew toy.

Hope
: Tell me, do goblins still come with flavours?

Fighting a murderous ghost apparently fettered to a moonshine still in a backwoods shack.

Al
: Don't drink anything from the still!

Rumbaba
: ... why?

Al
: Bad spirits!

Adrie transforms to swarm form to scout for the party, and returns to report.

Rumbaba
: So, what's the buzz?

Rumbaba and Al the Wizard make a great comedy team. If they ever give up adventuring they could take their act on the road. Sadly too soon to rep you again.

Rumbaba would probably be up for that - he's an entertainer that circumstances are forcing to adventure, after all. Some humorous patter during the juggling act would probably go down a treat with the punters.

In session three of Well of the Worlds one of the PCs single-handedly eliminated an entire squad of attacking Lizard Person troops. Leading to:

"The leading cause of death in Lizard People is Billy Jo"

followed by:

OOC: "Hello, I'm Hissy S. Gator. You may remember me from such films as Rub my Tummy and Put That in Your Mouth. I'm here to talk to you about the leading cause of death among male adult Serpent People, Billy Jo. If you or your loved one has come in contact with Billy Jo, seek medical care immediately."

Billy Jo, the PC in question, also reminds several of us of "Keith" Ellis's friend from Left 4 Dead 2. Leading to the following Ellis dialogue:

There was this one guy Keith knew named Billy Jo. Said that dude taught him all he knows when it comes to doin' s**t. Y'know what I mean? Like ridin' them mowers and s**t.

Keith was tellin' me this guy Billy Jo one time went around killin' like Raptors and s**t with hot girls or sumthin'. I don't know how he did it cause I wudn't there but Keith said that Billy Jo like totally killed these Raptors with a butter knife and sum s**t. But one of the Raptors caught him and tore up like 90% of his body. So he was just like a head with a knife and sum s**t. I don't know. But Keith said he was a cool guy.

various bits, no context:

"I look at the bodies, I look at the bandit princess,

I look at the bodies, I look at the bandit princess,

I look at the bodies, I look at the bandit princess,

I look at the bodies, I look at the bandit princess...."

finally the DM interrupted me.

Hide Armor cannot be looted from my body, because it is my skin.

No, Hide Armor is not a substitute for Stealth.

My brother was a hero, who died with out whining.

(lots of players took less damage, and complained bitterly at the GM)

Is there enough loot in the pile to provide me some cover ?

the female marid got dubbed B.A.S.S. by the PCs

Bad A$$ Super S1ut

please note my battle cry tenors up sharply from medic to man down

the chainmail is crafted from the finest handwavium, and can only be pierced by unobtanium.