Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Well' date=' it would explain the Emperor's well-known aversion to gods, especially ones starting with N- and ending with -yarlathotep. It would CERTAINLY explain some of the utterly boneheaded things he did between the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy. Exactly how drunk WAS the Emperor when he refused Angron permission to save his fellow slaves?[/quote']

I'll leave those questions to the philosophers.

'Vote McGinty For God-Emperor - Because You KNOW It Can Be Worse.'

Every once in a while I sit in on a D&D game. I was recently playing a character a friend made for me. Apparently you can play a Bugbear in 4th edition D&D now.

The scenario called for us to entertain a bunch of pixies. Hades the Bugbear lacks performance and storytelling type skills.

Hades Out of Character: Can I use my Intimidate: 10 to tell a really scary story?

I was allowed to because it was creative. Later, talking to my gaming friends about it, I said "Yeah, it's easy to tell a scary story to pixies. 'Have you heard about the

big bullfrog that lurks in ponds around here? It will sit in the water, just its eyes showing if that, waiting.....and when a pixie flits by, it jumps! And it's long sticky icky slimy tongue goes ZAP!' And then jump into the pixies, scattering them."

Other than that, my big line was

Hades: Here we are, half drunk on honey mead, being chased by bears through the forest.....this is fun!

Right before getting mauled by a bear.

I had to sit out the next game. I said "Just say Hades got ravaged by another bear. Or found a female bear and is getting ravished rather than ravaged. With a crazy Bugbear like Hades, you never know."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that Hades also paused to use his Impossibly Heavy Sword to cut open a tent in passing. Lucius doesn't want a moderate, so-so gaming experience. He likes the action to be in tents.

I'll leave those questions to the philosophers.

'Vote McGinty For God-Emperor - Because You KNOW It Can Be Worse.'

Lucius Alexander for God-Emperor - better than a crazy drunk!

This message was brought to you by Palindromedaries for Cosmic Balance

I've been remiss in posting the Adventures of Achmed the Agile. I may yet pull my notes together' date=' but [/quote']

But I want to make sure I don't forget this one.

Landir, rolling to enchant an item: I've got a seven on my Mind

Achmed, Out of Character: four that want to hold me, two that want to scold me, one 'cause she's a friend of mine

Everyone laughed, except the teenage son of the Game Operations Director. It's from before his time.

Lucius Alexander

Don't let the sound of your own palindromedary make you crazy

But I want to make sure I don't forget this one.

Landir, rolling to enchant an item: I've got a seven on my Mind

Achmed, Out of Character: four that want to hold me, two that want to scold me, one 'cause she's a friend of mine

Everyone laughed, except the teenage son of the Game Operations Director. It's from before his time.

Lucius Alexander

Don't let the sound of your own palindromedary make you crazy

Did you tell him to take it easy?

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

Another character pic for the Rogue Trader Campaign, and a bio for those people who weren't paying attention to earlier installments of RT & Dark Heresy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41099[/ATTACH]

A minor criminal who got lucky. Very lucky. Born on the Imperial Shrine-world of Kringle, and then known as Rosenkrantz, he was one of thousands of POWs taken by the Tau when Kringle was overrun.

Shipped off to an experimental colony where the Tau were trying to encourage all their various POWs to embrace the Greater Good, Rosenkrantz soon became involved in various shenanigans, was tortured almost to death by his own people for something he didn't do, and was so enraged by this injustice he promptly went to work full-time for the Tau.

This didn't go according to plan, either, and Rosenkrantz, now Jak Frost, found himself wandering around the Koronus Expanse at the other end of the galaxy, where he eventually lucked out and was hired on to the starship Rose Tattoo, where his abilities soon saw him earn a position of considerable responsibility.

Not bad going for a traitor, coward, and heretic, especially one with such bizarre fashion sense ( Imperial tastes leaning more towards 'Over-Elaborate with Extra Skulls' ).

He almost looks like someone who'd keep a ancient-looking police call box

in his private chambers (:sneaky:)...

Well, he's got a policeman's hat, a traffic cone, and some confused memories of a night out on a pleasure planet, does that count?

More from Hades the Bugbear.

While crossing a lake, the party is attacked by a Pixie and some water elementals.

And for some reason I start speaking Hades' lines in rhyme.

Hades: Shaman shouldn't be afloat; shaman needs to be in boat.

The shaman convinced me not to use an action to haul her aboard, she could get aboard on her own well enough. (she turned out to be mistaken in that.)

Hades: Pixie fine, pixie gay, pixie need to go away!

Hades, after being dumped in the water too: Pixie foul, pixie smug, Hades smash you like a bug!

I should have said "Brace yourselves, I'm going to shove this boat forward right into that water elemental in an attempt to disrupt it" but I couldn't think of a way to make that rhyme, so one of the other characters was knocked over. I only did 4 pts of damage too.

What worries me is....now I've started, I feel obliged to keep rhyming with Hades and I don't know if I can keep it up.

The other players saying a rhyming Bugbear is just creepy only makes me more determined to try, though. I'm already getting some ready for next battle

Hades:

Giant big, giant strong, Hades hopes we get along.

We're looking for a friend held dear. Have you seen Orlando here?

Giant tall, touch the skies, Hades cut him down to size!

Oh, and one comment I made out of character: Anyone who carries an otter in their pocket is someone I'd like to know.

Lucius Alexander

Rhyming bugbear really scary, worries palindromedary

Are you sure Hades middle name isn't Fezzig?

Actually, since I started doing it I've been reminded of Crunch the Ogre from some of the Xanth novels and, oddly of Sweetums the big Muppet monster (even though the latter doesn't rhyme and neither carries a great big sword.)

But thanks for the reminder of Fezzig - it reminds me that I can also play off of what others say if I spot a potential rhyme.

One friend keeps telling me that rhyming is for cute little creatures like pixies, not big scary monsters like Bugbears.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks it's silly to make things rhyme so willy nilly

One friend keeps telling me that rhyming is for cute little creatures like pixies, not big scary monsters like Bugbears.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks it's silly to make things rhyme so willy nilly

Not always. One series, called 'The Exploits of Ebenezum' has a rhyming demon lord as its main antagonist. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/craig-shaw-gardner/exploits-of-ebenezum.htm

The only one I can think of off the top of my head comes from a D&D game in college. Our party opened a storage closet in the ruins of a dungeon and it was full of a bunch of broken jars and a few intact ones. We got into a debate about whether we should open them here or take them back to town when the DM, clearly anxious, says, "Look guys, do you open the pudding?"

I say, "No. We carefully set the pudding back on the shelf, re-lock the door and leave the room." He (mostly good-naturedly) accused us of meta-gaming and said that it could have been chocolate pudding in the urn. My response was, "We haven't killed Bill Cosby yet in here, so I'm willing to bet that wasn't the kind of pudding you were talking about!"

"Do you open the pudding?" Has since become a buzz word for my friends as a warning not to do something obviously stupid.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head comes from a D&D game in college. Our party opened a storage closet in the ruins of a dungeon and it was full of a bunch of broken jars and a few intact ones. We got into a debate about whether we should open them here or take them back to town when the DM, clearly anxious, says, "Look guys, do you open the pudding?"

I say, "No. We carefully set the pudding back on the shelf, re-lock the door and leave the room." He (mostly good-naturedly) accused us of meta-gaming and said that it could have been chocolate pudding in the urn. My response was, "We haven't killed Bill Cosby yet in here, so I'm willing to bet that wasn't the kind of pudding you were talking about!"

"Do you open the pudding?" Has since become a buzz word for my friends as a warning not to do something obviously stupid.

Wise decision. Propably some of those blob/slime things in there ;)

Metagaming would be taking it along as a secret weapon

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks Metagaming was Steve Jackson's old company

Playing the CO seasonal missions -

Me
: Apparently Vitus has made it onto Santa's 'Nice' list this year

Purrdence
: What????? How?!?

Me
: I have no idea. Perhaps he hasn't actually murdered anyone this week? But not to worry, I'll doubt he'll be on it for long - not after the children of Millenium City see him stomping teddy bears to death on various street corners.

Playing the CO seasonal missions -

Me
: Apparently Vitus has made it onto Santa's 'Nice' list this year

Purrdence
: What????? How?!?

Me
: I have no idea. Perhaps he hasn't actually murdered anyone this week? But not to worry, I'll doubt he'll be on it for long - not after the children of Millenium City see him stomping teddy bears to death on various street corners.

Me (looking askance at the guy in the Santa suit): All right, pal... who the frell are you, and what have you

done with the real Kris Kringle?!

(C'mon, we all know that the only way that Vitus would ever make it onto anyone's

"nice" list was if the person keeping the list had been kidnapped and replaced by

an impostor.)

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

Me (looking askance at the guy in the Santa suit): All right, pal... who the frell are you, and what have you

done with the real Kris Kringle?!

(C'mon, we all know that the only way that Vitus would ever make it onto anyone's

"nice" list was if the person keeping the list had been kidnapped and replaced by

an impostor.)

That possibility certainly occurred to me - but who would have the audacity?

Perhaps we should ask Mr. Teatime....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says YOU go ask him.

I suppose it could be some convoluted scheme by the Auditors of Reality, but if they really want to remove threats to a truly rational universe, surely they should be targeting McGinty?