Favorite Abuse

JmOz

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Favorite Abuse

Additional: Penalty levels versus hit locations are insanely overpowered for the price.

Yeah' date=' the general lethality level of our games spiked after those came out. We learned quickly what a bell curve really means.[/quote']

Really depends on the campaign I think. For a full +8 you're paying 12, 16 or 24 points depending on what it applies to. For that cost you can buy another +2, +3 or +5 DC with any attack (more if it has Limitations, less if it has Advantages). If the attack was doing damage on average already, adding more damage could be just as bad as always aimming for the head.

I kind of like the one where you buy rarely needed powers as Favors.

For example: Instead of Healing w/ressurection, buy Favor: Angel of Death & cash in to ask him to not take one of your buddies.

Well darnit, that's why I bought it! :angel:

Because you can't teleport other things or people into solid objects. They bounce right back (or to the nearest "safe" hex) without taking any damage.

So how about buying a Mind Linked familiar (i.e. Follower) with Teleport, UBO: Simultaneously. It sits on your shoulder and Teleports you anywhere you want to go. AND the Teleport is always safe, because you can't Teleport someone else into a solid object. :D

So how about buying a Mind Linked familiar (i.e. Follower) with Teleport' date=' UBO: Simultaneously. It sits on your shoulder and Teleports you anywhere you want to go. AND the Teleport is always safe, because you can't Teleport someone [i']else[/i] into a solid object. :D

Ooh! I like that one! A dog familiar... man's best friend. A Blink Dog even, like from D&D...

Only, the familiar can take the damage. So I'll always be safe, but one day my dog will be run over by karma.

Ooh! I like that one! A dog familiar... man's best friend. A Blink Dog even, like from D&D...

Only, the familiar can take the damage. So I'll always be safe, but one day my dog will be run over by karma.

Oh yes. It can take damage, but if, rather than a dog, it is, say, a raven that sits on your shoulder, Clinging to you for all it's worth, and it Teleports you, and just happens to come along for the ride (Usable Simultaneously), it is going to be hard for the GM to justify leaving it embedded in the basalt (so to speak) while you appear at the closest safe hex. See? :D

EDIT: P.S. - And if it does get hosed by the Teleport, it's rather cheap to buy a new one...in fact, buy a whole army of them, so if you lose one, another can just Teleport in and take over. ;)

Oh yes. It can take damage' date=' but if, rather than a dog, it is, say, a raven that sits on your shoulder, Clinging to you for all it's worth, and it Teleports you, and just happens to come along for the ride (Usable Simultaneously), it is going to be hard for the GM to justify leaving it embedded in the basalt (so to speak) while you appear at the closest safe hex. See? :D[/quote']

Well, all you'd need is for the familiar to by Teleport with extra mass (enough to take you with it). It's not that hard to justify really. From the familiar's point of view, it's taking a trip with luggage, and as it's arriving there's not enough for the luggage, so it's dropped off in the nearest space. Whoops! Looks like there's not enough room for it either, but it's too late to drop itself off. :eg:

EDIT: P.S. - And if it does get hosed by the Teleport, it's rather cheap to buy a new one...in fact, buy a whole army of them, so if you lose one, another can just Teleport in and take over. ;)

:rofl: True... I'd rep you if I could, but it seems as if I've repped too much already today.

Well' date=' all you'd need is for the familiar to by Teleport with extra mass (enough to take you with it). It's not that hard to justify really. From the familiar's point of view, it's taking a trip with luggage, and as it's arriving there's not enough for the luggage, so it's dropped off in the nearest space. Whoops! Looks like there's not enough room for it either, but it's too late to drop itself off. :eg:[/quote']

Yeah. I was going more for the approach of the raven being the luggage for its own Teleport. :)

Just have the blink dog or teleporting raven buy:

+Scads-O-PD, Resistant, Only vs. Teleportation Damage

Not legal. The damage is NND versus not being in control of the teleport. :)

Of course, the familiar can always buy Safe Blind Teleport... but then so can the main character. :P

Not legal. The damage is NND versus not being in control of the teleport. :)

Of course, the familiar can always buy Safe Blind Teleport... but then so can the main character. :P

I thought there was a USPD power shich had exactly this effect (a power that has been challenged on the basis that this IS NND damage, and it should not be possible to buy defenses against it).

Say, for those who support this Teleport Defense construct, would you let me buy a Force Field, only to protect against damage from using END when at or below 0 END?

Okay, I got a new one while I was musing an old character concept of mine at work today.

Duplication, 2 identical duplicates, full feedback (STUN & BODY from all attacks affect all duplicates equally).

For a standard 350 point character, you end up with triple SPD, a creative Indirect effect and possibly bonus movement (if the dups are bricks; A throws B, C moves to B, B throws C) for about 30-40 points, with no drawbacks.

Okay, I got a new one while I was musing an old character concept of mine at work today.

Duplication, 2 identical duplicates, full feedback (STUN & BODY from all attacks affect all duplicates equally).

For a standard 350 point character, you end up with triple SPD, a creative Indirect effect and possibly bonus movement (if the dups are bricks; A throws B, C moves to B, B throws C) for about 30-40 points, with no drawbacks.

The feedback is extremely dangerous if you hit both of them with an Area Effect. Imagine a 4d6 AE NND attack. After Feedback, ALL of them are going to be taking 12d6 NND each (Dup A takes 15 pts shared by B and C, B takes 12 pts shared by A and C, and C takes 13 pts shared by A and B, thus all of them take 40 pts!) :eg:

Used this for a villain in my Supers with Pictures thread (Black Alice), with about the expected in-play effect. On the plus side, she had incredible offensive power, enough so that I would not let a player use this kind of character without droping their DC and defenses to near the bottom of the campaign scale. On the down side, a Gary pointed out, one Area of Effect attack working off of her susceptibility was enough to wipe her out completely (as was intended).

Absorbtion, absorbs 1/2 to X and 1/2 to increase the maximum points absorbed.

X can now rise infinitely if you keep getting hit.

That's one that likely gets by (hey, he DOES need to get hit).

Add in Damage Reduction so you don't take as much damage from those hits.

Now it's likely to raise an eyebrow.

Rather than Damage Reduction, add in a 0 END Area Effect 1 hex Continuous attack. Make it standard effect. [sUCKER! Thinks the GM - that lowers your average damage.]

Character gets out of bed, starts his 0 END area effect attack at, say, 2d6 in his own hex (12 STUN, 4 BOD, soaked by defenses) and gains 2 STUN per phase. Let's assume X is 1/2 STR, 1/2 STUN. After an hour, assuming a lowly SPD 4, Our Hero has gained 1,200 STR and 1,200 STUN. [maybe direct some to END so you can use your 1,210 STR :) ).

On the old boards, I ened up doing something like this; it took some digging to find the thread, but here it is. :)

My favorite:

xd6 Energy Blast, Indirect, Double Knockback plus Change Environment (Anti-Gravity Field) Instant Only.

Blast comes from below strikes the target sending them straight up into the air and they get one less die to resist knockback. Then the Anti-Gravity ends and the target falls back down for more damage.

My favourite reasonable abuse is ~4d6 Suppress Stun, Instant. It's a stunning blast! I think I could get away with it if I had sufficient limitations to make me not do it all the time.

• Usable as Attack

Well, there goes my unreasonable abuse: Extra-dimensional movement, usable as attack. 'Hi. How would you like to visit the Elemental Plane of Fire?'

The feedback is extremely dangerous if you hit both of them with an Area Effect. Imagine a 4d6 AE NND attack. After Feedback' date=' ALL of them are going to be taking 12d6 NND each (Dup A takes 15 pts shared by B and C, B takes 12 pts shared by A and C, and C takes 13 pts shared by A and B, thus all of them take 40 pts!) :eg:[/quote']

Quite true, but how often does this actually happen? A trio of duplicates with enough movement can spread out really fast.

It is a balancing factor though, but probably not enough. Of course, you can easily get a 275 point set of duplicates without the feedback. It's one of the reasons why I don't allow this kind of Duplication unless the all the dupes have a relatively low SPD and/or low DCs.

How about a virus familiar/follower that lives inside your nose? And has paid the extra points for safe teleport and possibly 'trigger' - "whenever the boss really needs it' date=' wants it or I think it might be useful"?[/quote']

Do you ned a kleenex?

Buy your bullets as Summons.

120" flight 240AP. 1 Charge, never recovers -4 48 real points.

+34 with Move Through 68 points.

Sell down Int, Pre, Body, Con to 1.

Now this is a 62 point summon.

You spend 12 character points. Buy 6 charges of it. :-D

And it deals 40DC of move through damage with a 13 OCV after velocity.

Edit: Forgot the +1 Slavishly Loyal advantage bringing the AP of the summon before charges all the way up to 24.

Buy your bullets as Summons.

120" flight 240AP. 1 Charge, never recovers -4 48 real points.

+34 with Move Through 68 points.

Sell down Int, Pre, Body, Con to 1.

Now this is a 62 point summon.

You spend 12 character points. Buy 6 charges of it. :-D

And it deals 40DC of move through damage with a 13 OCV after velocity.

Edit: Forgot the +1 Slavishly Loyal advantage bringing the AP of the summon before charges all the way up to 24.

Ah, but as a Free Action I can Presence Attack your bullet into fleeing (or at least not attacking) as soon as you fire it! :D