Favorite Abuse

JmOz

Re: Favorite Abuse

Like, say...

Go To Hell: Tunneling 2" through 8 DEF material, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1)

Well, it is 77 Active Points, but if it hits, the target isn't likely to come back unless they can survive in magma flowing 2km below the surface of the earth, and can get back from there.

You forgot to add the Fill In adder. Otherwise, you've also just created a volcano. :winkgrin:

EDIT: Not to nitpick, but in the vast majority of places on the Earth the crust is thicker than 2 km. Just drop it down to 1" and bump up the MegaScale advantage to fix. :eg:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh! I like that one! A dog familiar... man's best friend. A Blink Dog even, like from D&D...

Only, the familiar can take the damage. So I'll always be safe, but one day my dog will be run over by karma.

So your dogma will be run over by your karma? :snicker:

How about the "Go Away" Damage Shield for only 8 points?

1" Teleportation(straight up) + Zero END(+1/2), Continuous(+1), Damage Shield(+1/2), Megascale(1"=1000 Km; +1)

That's about 2.75 times higher than the International Space Station's orbit. :eg:

However, this isn't nearly as doable if there is a mimimum purchase rule for Teleportation.

You can buy two Multipowers for +5 points now?!?!??!?!??!! Okay! THAT is just WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking for myself, I'll allow the doubled gadgets but on the premise they are backups only (ie if you lose your Power Ring, you can go back and get your spare, but you can't use both at once.

• 8 months later...

lets make a character with, say, mystic gauntlets. Make them a MP at the campaign AP limit. Give them a variety of interesting attacks, movement powers and defences. make the offence fixed slots, while the others are variables.

Heres the abusive part.

spend the +5 points to have two of them.

Now, you have 2 identical multis that allow you massive combat flexibility, including the ability to do multi-power attacks with different offensive slots.

This strikes me as just sick.

someone please tell me why this isnt or is legal? :nonp:

Desmarais?

Enforcer?

Guys!

- - - crickets - - -

someone please tell me why this isnt or is legal? :nonp:

Desmarais?

Enforcer?

Guys!

- - - crickets - - -

It's legal. It's a clear case where the GM should say "No" and maybe impale the player on an iron spike by the gaming table as an example to others, but it is legal.

In the text at the beginning of the Equipment Chapter.

Easy, to miss, catastrophic in scale if abused right.

even better than the gauntlets.. make the MP's hardpoints on a battle suit.

go all anime.... one for each leg, one for each forearm, one on each shoulder

make it around a 120 AP MP, then have at least one slot built as a "Summon Swarm of micronukes"

Inspector Cluseau rides again:

25d6 Luck. You'll have ON AVERAGE four 6's, plus or minus. Given the descriptions of this degree of luck, you're foes automagically defeat themselves at that point. Anvils rain from the sky, and the universe goes out of its way to make you happy. Silliness abounds.

For a mere 5pt in an ultra instead of 125 pts, I have a character who drops anvils on people whenever he wants. :rolleyes: 'Course, he can't make foes automatically defeat themselves but what's the fun in that?

even better than the gauntlets.. make the MP's hardpoints on a battle suit.

go all anime.... one for each leg, one for each forearm, one on each shoulder

make it around a 120 AP MP, then have at least one slot built as a "Summon Swarm of micronukes"

Make them rings. Double 8 times and you have one for each finger. Make a separate MP for defenses and make them thumb rings. Double once.

Then buy Extra Limbs defined as 64 arms. Buy 6 more doublings so you have 8 finger and two thumb rings for each hand.

Except that you'd have a 1 hex hunk of Entangle sitting there (which is the idea). It basically forms a barrier that you choose to stand in the middle of (that's the idea' date=' anyway). Sort of "Personal Immunity as represented by clipping error".[/quote']

However, it is a barrier that has no effect on NND and Drain attacks which do not do body. Once you are down to negative numbers on STR, DEX, INT, EGO or CON, or STUN, you are pretty helpless.:fear: Negative SPD is harder to manage, but leaves you completely helpless, with the exception of already-on Persistent Powers.

Make them rings. Double 8 times and you have one for each finger. Make a separate MP for defenses and make them thumb rings. Double once.

Then buy Extra Limbs defined as 64 arms. Buy 6 more doublings so you have 8 finger and two thumb rings for each hand.

If you go with Inobvious, Inaccessible, I don't think they even need to be worn any more, just carried on the person somehow. Which means you don't need Extra Limbs then.

"Hey, let me show you my bag of 4,096 magic pebbles!" :ugly: (4096 = 12 doublings = 60 AP) :D

However' date=' it is a barrier that has no effect on NND and Drain attacks which do not do body. Once you are down to negative numbers on STR, DEX, INT, EGO or CON, or STUN, you are pretty helpless.:fear: Negative SPD is harder to manage, but leaves you completely helpless, with the exception of already-on Persistent Powers.[/quote']

Why is negative SPD harder to manage? Perhaps if the target is a Speedster it is, but not if it's a lumbering Brick. ;) And the only effect negative SPD has over having a Zero SPD is it takes the character longer to recover to a positive SPD score.

At least no one's use the doubling rule for threads on the Hero Boards...

...wait. :eek:

Anyways, I love the doubling rules, but only when it comes to Vehicles and Bases. While it shouldn't be 100% restricted to Vehicles and Bases, it should be thought of as so until you come up with a character concept that really needs the mechanic. I also think the Automaton Powers should be treated the same way, but that's a different discussion.

But alas, it's perfectly legal to buy a huge MP with lots of attacks and clever movement and defense powers, save a bunch of points buy making it a Focus and then spend only 5 for a second one you can use simultaneously with the first. Of course, legal isn't the same as approved by the GM.

Only if its a gadget. The reasoning is that having two of the same gadget isn't all that much more useful than a single one. However' date=' in the case of an extrememly flexible gadget, the logic kinda breaks down, doesn't it?[/quote']

Technically, you could consider an entire battlesuit to be a gadget... :eg:

Go, Go, Powerd-Armor Rangers! :snicker:

Just think, you can give everybody else on your team a suit -- like the speedster, and the mentalist, and the brick, etc., etc., etc.

One of my favorite 'abuses' is the building of a suit of power armor (eg Ironman) as a Vehicle rather than character powers with Focus.

Use 1/5th of the Character Points to build a vehicle that is a suit of armor... gaining an identical number of points to the original character to build the armor. Give it an Attack MP (with +5pts to get 2 of them... one for each arm/side), a Movement MP, a Sensor MP (lots of 360 perception)...

Then, you spend the remaining character points on skills (like Repair, PS Armor Suit Pilot, Combat Driver, TF: Armor Suit), contacts, Wealth, and Martial Arts...

I actually like this version of Power Armor as it has built in damage-to-armor functions.

Cheers,

-keith

Don't even need Mind Link for that. Just by a Computer Follower. You can even save points by buying the Computer through a Focus.

You can do that? I didn't think you could put a perk on a focus, or any other limitation?

Lucius Alexander

Can I define the palindromedary as a focus?

You can do that? I didn't think you could put a perk on a focus, or any other limitation?

Lucius Alexander

Can I define the palindromedary as a focus?

Example of one on page 118 of Champions.

It's a valid Limitation. Without it, you can have a Computer with you at all times. Built in kinda. I've never understood why people who buy their Computers for their Base don't buy it as an Immobile Focus.

Example of one on page 118 of Champions.

It's a valid Limitation. Without it, you can have a Computer with you at all times. Built in kinda. I've never understood why people who buy their Computers for their Base don't buy it as an Immobile Focus.

Usually so they can have "Computer Terminals" dispersed throughout the base instead of placing the CPU in a central destroyable focus.

If that isn't illegal, it should be. The Folower rules (and all the variations such as Bases, Computers, etc.) already describe something separate from the character, adding Focus is nonsensical. If it's OK to build a wearable computer wristwatch as a Focus, I want OAF Bulky for my vehicle. If a wristwatch is OAF, the Batmobile should be umm Immobile or something.

If that isn't illegal' date=' it should be. The Folower rules (and all the variations such as Bases, Computers, etc.) already describe something separate from the character, adding Focus is nonsensical. If it's OK to build a wearable computer wristwatch as a Focus, I want OAF Bulky for my vehicle. If a wristwatch is OAF, the Batmobile should be umm Immobile or something.[/quote']

I wouldn't allow it on just a computer or vehicle. I probably would allow it for a Computer designed to be installed In a Base.

It's not explicitly illegal though.

Usually so they can have "Computer Terminals" dispersed throughout the base instead of placing the CPU in a central destroyable focus.

There's a difference between a terminal and the actual computer though. The CPU is almost always something in a single location, and something that can be destroyed. Very few computers I can imagine would be otherwise.

If that isn't illegal' date=' it should be. The Folower rules (and all the variations such as Bases, Computers, etc.) already describe something separate from the character, adding Focus is nonsensical. If it's OK to build a wearable computer wristwatch as a Focus, I want OAF Bulky for my vehicle. If a wristwatch is OAF, the Batmobile should be umm Immobile or something.[/quote']

A Vehicle has built in mechanics to identify where it is located, how big it is and how much damage it takes to destroy it. Computers, by default, are immaterial concepts without form or substance but interact with the physical world anyway. You can use a Computer AI to create a "spirit guide" that follows the character around as a follower that can never be physically harmed in any way... ever. Or you can put it a focus, call it a PDA and now any kid can smash it with a rock.

We Have A Winner!

A Vehicle has built in mechanics to identify where it is located' date=' how big it is and how much damage it takes to destroy it. Computers, by default, are immaterial concepts without form or substance but interact with the physical world anyway. You can use a Computer AI to create a "spirit guide" that follows the character around as a follower that can never be physically harmed in any way... ever. Or you can put it a focus, call it a PDA and now any kid can smash it with a rock.[/quote']

YES! We have Invulnerability!

Lucius Alexander

Babbling to the palindromedary that he never would have thought of coming at it from THAT direction.....