Favorite Abuse

JmOz

Re: Favorite Abuse

Book Legal:

The "Mind Mole". Tunnelling + X-Ray + ECV Attacks...

"Bouncing Boy". Moderate-High STR + Moderate-High Movement + Absorption PD into STR (and sometimes Absorption ED into Movement). Takes advantage of the "blowback" damage of Move By and Move Thru to make your character do more damage each time they hit something...

Book Legal, and don't even THINK of running these by me...

Megascale on a AE:One Hex power. This one has seen print (the Mind Control Laser in Champions)

Trigger, "Whenever I need it" -- has seen print as an example in FREd

Entangle, NND -- Ditto Flash NND to a lesser extent

Honorable Mention "Book Legal But Doesn't Work the Way You Think It Does"

Dispel to Knockback Resist, Does KB, Double KB. Powers which adjust a defense still have the defense applied to that attack...

Funny I actualy have a varient of the honorable mention on my current character (And both of the one's I posted for that matter), my varient uses Flash: Touch instead

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:sigh:

A thread designed to make us *want* to break the rules.

I can see all you you frantically cutting and pasting on to Word!

Shame!

Hawksmoor

He knows, he sees!

I'm pretty fond of movement multipowers, esp. for bricks. Such as:

20 MP (20)

2u +10" Running (16" total)

1u +10" Swimming (12" total)

1u +10" Superleap

Of course, I don't view it as abusive. :D

:lol: Why not 20" of Swimming and Leaping' date=' since they are each 1 pt per hex? :D[/quote']That's not the point.

Ffff! "Reasonable' date='" was defined as being able to slip it past your GM. :D[/quote']The point of this abuse is exactly not to slip it past the gamemaster. The point of this beautiful abuse is to provoke the gamemaster into punishing you.

If you buy appropriate movement abilities for a character who's defined as incredibly athletic (a type of brick I like a lot), it costs a lot, it may do little for you since there's duplication (and you may not get to use some of your abilities, like swimming), and you can be shamed by characters who just bought efficient movement powers. Sink as many points as you want into your Climbing, Adventure Man. Force-of-will Flight Lord will just hover next to the mountain or the skyscraper you are so arduously and perilously ascending, and laugh at you. As soon as he flies up to where the real action is, you're out of the game, in effect.

There's no need for a gamemaster to pay any attention to a character built plain vanilla by the rules. They're weaker, and they're not an issue by doing that.

But buy a multipower of movement abilities based on sporting events, and the gamemaster may secretly say to himself: "OK, that player doesn't realise it, but he's set a precedent for every villain in the game. I'll give them the same kind of abusive multipower, and they'll all be running, leaping, swimming, clinging, swinging etcetera all over the city and through the trees, dynamic super-athletes everywhere. Let's see how you like that, Adventure Man! Hah! and double-hah!! to you!!"

So what you do, is, hoping this judo strategy will work, you pick ideal movement rates, where it's fast enough to be comic-y and exciting, but not so fast that movethroughs will spoil the fun, and then kind of drop the hint that it's great to have this efficient multipower that "the villains don't seem to have." Then look for the sinister gleam in the gamemaster's eye!

Bha-ha-ha-hah!!

It's the same logic that applies (often unconsciously) with combat abuse: whatever the gamemaster does to retaliate against a character on a tit-for-that basis generally helps that character by defining their abilities as central and other characters' abilities as less relevant.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Sometimes you have to adapt to that.

Trigger' date=' "Whenever I need it" -- has seen print as an example in FREd [/quote']

Big deal. It kicks in when he needs it without an action, and he paid a +1/4 advantage. Now he has to reset it before he needs it again. Snapping my fingers, pushing a button, speaking a word or willing it are all valid triggers. Is this really more abusive? Remembering taht a clever opponent will arrange to trigger the power with a minor threat, then hit the character hard before he can reset it.

Unfortunately' date=' it takes 5 minutes to prepare for the use of Simulate Death...[/quote']

Not if you buy it with +9 Skill Levels (not sure what those would cost...). 9 levels is exactly what you need to counter the time penalties for preparing to Simulate Death in a single Phase.

Now buy that as an attack or damage shield! :eg:

Let's make this more challenging. Favorite abuse without:

• Autofire
  • Rapid Fire
  • Charges
  • End Reserves
  • +2 or greater in Advantages or Limitations
  • Megascale
  • Usable as Attack
  • Any of the 1 for 5 Powers such as Duplication or Multiform
  • Any Fmove Martial Maneuver

:eg: Okay.

Flight 20" x8 ncm (160" noncombat)

Telescopic Sight +10

Ego Attack xd6

Combat starts. Fly at noncombat 80" away from combat as a half move then Ego Attack the target of your choice as full ECV. Sure, your OCV is 0... but not your ECV. And now everyone is a -10 to hit you, or even see where you went, so those buggers with No Range Mod attacks will be stuck for a Phase while you blast them.

My favorite (at this time) is combining Desolidification with HA Affects Real World, as you get to add you STR to it and the STR gets the ARW for free. Combine that with AE, AF5, 0 END and NND and you can get an attack that does an average of 10d6 NND that you can use while Desolid. Granted, this doesn't pass Gary's criteria, but then again, most of the legal stuff you'll never get past a GM would'd either.

Other things that get past Gary... N-Ray vision + Mental Powers, Lots of Leaping, Accurate + levels with Leaping/Move Through/Move By, KA NND +3 STUNx...

Okay, it is time again to play your favorite abuse, the rules for you all:

The abuse MUST BE book legal

There are two types of abuses: reasonable and Munchkin. The reasonable is one that you can normaly get past a GM (say 90%), the munchkin one is one that you could not get past 90% of GM's

My personaly ones:

Reasonable: I am a charge whore, I love having a MP with lots of slots and charges on most (My current character has something like 15 powers in his MP with a combined charges around 120)

Munchkin: If you take a MA (Ranged or Melee), Find weakness with one manuver, and a MP of different attacks defined as a weapon of some type you can use all your MP with the one manuver that you can find weakness on. You also can use the one manuver for all your skill levels etc...

You'd better be paying for multiple attacks on that find weakness...

I can be a bit of a charge whore too. Taking sixteen charges is basically free 0 END on the power. If it's a major attack power, and you have a five or six speed, that's attacks for at least two and a half turns. How many combats last that long???

For nostalgia's sake, I have to chime in with the old "not in an intense magnetic field." How many characters did we all make with that thinking that it'd never come up? I know a guy who GMed for a group where everyone was point-crunched to the max with NIIMF as the lowest common denominator. So he threw an intense mag-field-projecting villain at them. Ever see a character with 40" of flight nose dive into the ground without his PD?

The Wife Supreme and I agree that I'm not a rules rapist, but a rules lothario. "How ya doin' rules? You look nice tonight... Oops! I spilled something on your top. If you take that off right now I can wash it before the stain sets in..."

It doesn't conform to Gary's restrictions, but my favorite has always been:

Simulate Death, Usable as Attack, add a few advantages to taste, such as One Hex Accurate and No Range Mod, and it still costs less than 20 points. It is guaranteed to take out an opponent*: if he makes the CON roll, he is immobile and helpless for hours; if he fails the CON roll, he's dead.

*Unless the opponent is the GM.

Oh that's clever!

How 'bout:

Buying lots of STR and CON and then selling back all or most of the STUN you'd get. You essentially get STR and CON for half price and still get the associated PD, ED, REC, and END. In fact, you can leave out the CON and just get Xd6 HtH damage** for 2.5 points per die!

**You can do damage at range too, quite easily, by simply throwing something.

Back in the infancy of the game we used to make characters with 10,000 CON, reduce the figured stats to a few hundred each, and that would leave you with HEAPS of points to spend for nothing. 100 point characters that could pimp-slap Galactus. :slap:

We never played them, but it was fun to be that sick for a little while.

Anyone ever use "Hunted by Galactus" or "Hunted by the Earth?"

Simulate Death is so much more fun as a Damage Shield...

Anyway, one that I like is to put Does KB and 2x KB on a cheap d6 power, like Dispel or Flash Nontargeting. In a 12d6 game, you can do 20d6 of KB!

I like that one too, but I usually skip the double KB. Why? I do nearly as much KB with just having more dice, but now I can spread the power enough to ensure I can hit just about anything too, if I need to.

Favorite Abuse

Hork the last slice of pizza and root beer.

Favorite Munchkin Abuse

Hork the last slice of pizza which is actually FOUR slices stuck together, and use a huge 84 oz. cup for root beer. Kinda self limiting though because I'm usually incoherent/unconscious halfway through the game session from grease/sugar/caffine overdose if I do this.

;)

Guest WhammeWhamme

Big deal. It kicks in when he needs it without an action' date=' and he paid a +1/4 advantage. Now he has to reset it before he needs it again. Snapping my fingers, pushing a button, speaking a word or willing it are all valid triggers. Is this really more abusive? Remembering taht a clever opponent will arrange to trigger the power with a minor threat, then hit the character hard before he can reset it.[/quote']

I've been wondering...

...how legitimate is "the next time X would happen without a trigger set earlier going off"?

I can be a bit of a charge whore too. Taking sixteen charges is basically free 0 END on the power. If it's a major attack power' date=' and you have a five or six speed, that's attacks for at least two and a half turns. How many combats last that long???[/quote']

Not a lot. IMC, however, multiple combats in a single day are not uncommon. Since your charges do not recover between combats, this can be an issue. I've also allowed some characters (an archer comes to mind) to replenish charges whenever "at base" [just let me grab a fresh quiver]. When off-world, however, he could not replenish his charges at all. By the fith session, he was pretty careful what arrows he was firing.

:eg: Okay.

Flight 20" x8 ncm (160" noncombat)

Telescopic Sight +10

Ego Attack xd6

Combat starts. Fly at noncombat 80" away from combat as a half move then Ego Attack the target of your choice as full ECV. Sure, your OCV is 0... but not your ECV. And now everyone is a -10 to hit you, or even see where you went, so those buggers with No Range Mod attacks will be stuck for a Phase while you blast them.

Hmm. That one is pretty beatable by the GM in play. I would certainly rule that you are at 0 ECV as well as 0 OCV, because the idea is that you are focusing on your movement and not paying attention to threats, targets, etc.

You'd better be paying for multiple attacks on that find weakness...

Actualy with the Find Weakness: Book Legal you do not have to

Buy a Martial Arts Package, as this is Munchkin Paradice we will say

Flying Strike

Flying Dodge

Then you assosiate a MP of HA's that you use with the Flying Strike

Then take Find Weakness on Flying Strike

Technicaly Speaking now any HA or HKA you could do with your flying strike now gets the benefit of FW

Works better with ranged MA

Buy your archer with a Ranged MA Package including

3 Defensive Shot

3 Custom Manuver for Triping

4 Disarm

(Values are from memory, goal here was to squeek in on 10 with a disarm, a trip, and a attack)

Then buy your MP of "Trick Arrows"

Then Buy FW with Defensive shot. By the book you should be able to use all of them

As a GM I would probably let it slide for attacks I deamed similar (Such as "Normal Arrows" but not "Grenade Arrows")

Favorite abuses:

Legal: The Optional Language Chart combined with Linguist. Yes, I speak 14 languages fleuntly for 12 CP(and it can be done)

Borderline: Something I created a long time ago - the "flippable" force field. Force field with a +1/4 advantage that lets me build it up in any ratio - then stick it in a BIG multipower. When the GM overlooks that one attack that you didn't buy as an ultra...Grond lands three states away.

Hmm. That one is pretty beatable by the GM in play. I would certainly rule that you are at 0 ECV as well as 0 OCV' date=' because the idea is that you are focusing on your movement and not paying attention to threats, targets, etc.[/quote']

I would disagree for two reasons. 1, the book doesn't say anything about recuding ECV. 2, ECV is a single CV, and I wouldn't allow a mentalist an easier chance to hit a character moving noncombat. You also can't reduce ECV to both 1/2 and 0... you'd have to pick one. So I pick neither, and say it's at full, just like when you are Stunned, prone or at any other condition that reduces your CV (while conscious).

Borderline: Something I created a long time ago - the "flippable" force field. Force field with a +1/4 advantage that lets me build it up in any ratio - then stick it in a BIG multipower. When the GM overlooks that one attack that you didn't buy as an ultra...Grond lands three states away.

Well, that's no different from just making up +1/4 Advantages that do what you want them to. I can just make a +1/4 Advantage on Entangle that allows me to switch the dice and DEF around then. Or put it on Tunnelling to switch inches and DEF of material around. None of these are legal, so they can't be abused.

Of course, since all Defense Powers stack, you can just have to slots in a Multipower:

40 Energy Field: Multipower

8m 1) FF 40 PD / 0 ED

8m 2) FF 0 PD / 40 ED

Flexible slots let you chose what ratio of each you can use. Though you can't do this at all with Entangle, you can cook up somemthing that functions similar with Tunnelling.

I would disagree for two reasons. 1' date=' the book doesn't say anything about recuding ECV. 2, ECV is a single CV, [/quote']

I consider this an oversimplification. If ECV is only one stat, does that mean you can't have levels with mental powers, or that a 3 point level with Ego Blast adds to both offensive and defensive ECV?

I consider this an oversimplification. If ECV is only one stat' date=' does that mean you can't have levels with mental powers, or that a 3 point level with Ego Blast adds to both offensive and defensive ECV?[/quote']

A two or three point level only ads to offense. A five point level adds to both. You could also use an 8 point level to add to both, but it wouldn't be very efficient.

A two or three point level only ads to offense. A five point level adds to both. You could also use an 8 point level to add to both' date=' but it wouldn't be very efficient.[/quote']

This works if OECV and DECV are separate. If, as the initial poster argues, there is only one ECV, which affects both offense and defense, and cannot be modified for one or the other, then the logic of skill levels fails. Hence my example of 3 point levels rather than 2 point (+1 OCV for a single attack).

Why would a 5 point or 8 point level increase both OECV and DECV? There is no other way to get an attack and defense bonus (or any other "two bonuses at the same time" bonuses) at the same time form one level.