What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

I listened to American Idiot (the Green Day album) in its entirety this week. It's loud, profane, nasty at times -- but brilliant. Billie Joe Armstrong, lead singer and composer of the album, can definitely write songs. TYou may not believe this, but the raucous and furious "Holiday" is on the same track as the classic "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", a like I would not expect. The album overall is devastating, an indictment of America under George W. Which at times is searing, as the "Jesus of Suburbia" looks a pale shadow of the original leading America astray. We could not have predicted 2020 in 2004, but damn did Armstrong come close.

Of course, this is also the album that featured "Wake Me Up When September Ends", which I find beautiful and full of sorrow with an intense feeling of loss.

Adventures in Modern Recording by the Buggles. 2010 release included a bunch of bonus tracks, including this:

The songs had been played live during the Drama tour, and were later released as part of the 2011 Yes album, Far From Here, but with Benoit David providing lead vocals (to a guide vocal by Trevor Horn). In 2018, for the 50th anniversary of Yes, David's vocals were replaced by Trevor Horn's in the reworked release, Far From Here - Return Trip, which then had the same band member lineup as the Drama album.

• 3 weeks later...