What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

I may have posted about this when I got the CD’s but I just found the whole thing on YouTube and it’s so damn good I’ll take the chance of repeating myself.

In the days of yore back in 1975 Bruce Springsteen was exploding in this country.  It was before The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle would rock the charts but both Time and Newsweek had already put him on their covers. 
  To get out of the pressure cooker for a bit Bruce and the guys took a gig in England playing the Hammersmith Odeon. A classic concert hall now hosting the best of British Rock.  The local journalists were laying in wait for this American upstart. It was well known that the very best of Rock & Roll was English. Whether you preferred Clapton and Led Zeppelin or the Punk movement this Green and Pleasant land was the place to be from.

Springsteen was enough of a name that the BBC sent a full camera crew to record the show for a possible broadcast later, but with no definitive plans about when.

The night comes and the band takes the stage.  They look sharp, suited up in the height of Carnaby St fashion for the times. Pastel wide lapel suits, satin shirts and all wearing large brim Panama hats.  They begin playing the ballad intro for Thunder Road.  Bruce steps out looking like he just pulled a double shift at the garage. Working man’s Blue jeans, flannel over an old t-shirt, beat up leather jacket and a stocking cap pulled low.  The ghost of Grunge future.

His cracked plaintive voice, hard, driving horn sound and street style poetry was neither the smooth glam rock  or the “in your face” anarchy the audience was used to.  The hook was set. 
  Seventeen songs later the crowd had become true believers.  A concert legend was born and the film went into the BBC archives, were promptly and efficiently lost and weren’t seen again till the millennium. 
  I used to listen to the twin CD’s that we’re made from that recovered concert and they blew me away every time. I just found that the whole thing is on YouTube now on Springsteen’s channel. It’s all broken down by song or you can see them all one after another. 
   Whether you’re already a fan or just a little curious about the whole thing give this a try. It may not have every song you want to hear (because they hadn’t been written yet) but this is a look at a band at the peak of their talents.  
   How can you go wrong with that?