What Champions Books Would You Like Published in the Future?

humantorch101

Re: What Champions Books Would You Like Published in the Future?

Hmmm, Champions material is difficult as I don't really get into using the setting stuff, so that cuts out a lot.

I like the idea mentioned about a modular map book, I would really like that.

I really like Rod's (I think that was who posted it?) Ultimate Team idea. That would be extremely useful.

I think, as others have mentioned, a really good Mutant sourcebook would be nice. Palladium did a nice work on this, and I think HERO could do it better. Put lots of sociological stuff in it, such as the mutant underground and how that works, how mutant attitudes are, etc.

Of course Golden Age Hero really has to come out someday!

A while ago I was looking at the Viper supplement from years and years ago. Very brief, something like 16 pages or such. I would like to see more stuff like that.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Epic Champions: high level gaming in the CU"

with:

advice for those campaigns which started at 250/350 and are now at levels sufficient to start beating up Eurostar; for running 600/700/BTC(Build to Concept) campaigns in the CU; capturing the feel of an iconic hero campaign; sample iconic heroes of the CU; sample iconic villains(a Darkseid/thanos type, an expanded writeup of Dr. D, Tak, Menton and Mechanon, and an Injustice Gang/CSA/Squadron Sinister type of megavillain team(a global version of Eurostar?); epic game plots, props and elements; etc

Whatever the other merits of Galactic Champs were, it was , imo, wholly inadequate in terms of addressing regular CU games which venture into "epic"(75+ AP, 500+ character point) territory, or how to run such a game in the CU for those interested in a change of pace from busting bank robbers and VIPER agents.

I refuse to believe there's no market for this.

"Epic Champions: high level gaming in the CU"

with:

advice for those campaigns which started at 250/350 and are now at levels sufficient to start beating up Eurostar; for running 600/700/BTC(Build to Concept) campaigns in the CU; capturing the feel of an iconic hero campaign; sample iconic heroes of the CU; sample iconic villains(a Darkseid/thanos type, an expanded writeup of Dr. D, Tak, Menton and Mechanon, and an Injustice Gang/CSA/Squadron Sinister type of megavillain team(a global version of Eurostar?); epic game plots, props and elements; etc

Whatever the other merits of Galactic Champs were, it was , imo, wholly inadequate in terms of addressing regular CU games which venture into "epic"(75+ AP, 500+ character point) territory, or how to run such a game in the CU for those interested in a change of pace from busting bank robbers and VIPER agents.

I refuse to believe there's no market for this.

I was browsing Galactic Champs and need to do so more, and I was thinking the same thing. Until I saw your post, I assumed I hadn't looked hard enough. I agree.

I haven't read through the whole thread' date=' but what about "The Ultimate Base" with lots of cool ideas for constructing bases and lairs in all sorts of environments (Underwater, underground, in a volcano, a satellite etc) ?[/quote']

Something for Bases, in the style of the USPD would be extremely useful. As well as a set of senarios that showcase bases (Danger Room Gone Wrong; Misplaced Base; Home Invasion; etc.). Even just a 64 page perfectbound book would be a nice, inexpensive and useful suppliment.

Champions Down-Under- showing that Australia and NZ actually have more than 3 superheroes (hey I can dream)

Ultimate Speedster

I second/third/whatever 'The Secret Life of Superheroes' idea.

Champions 3D (or whatever else they want to call the dimention hopping book).

I really enjoyed the Mutant book in 4E, especially the idea that mutants were actually the next step in human evolution (complete with package deal of enhanced survival traits (since that's what evolution is about) and not just 'people with powers who we couldn't think of a better origin for'.

CPS299[Champions Public School]

Inspired by PS238,Champions Roleplaying in the style of POWER PACK and the NEW MUTANTS[original] players become preadolescent superheroes fighting Kid Villians while training in a special facility for paranormal children.

Not only do PCs must battle kid and adult villians,but also must deal with the problems an craziness that go with being a kid.

[/Quote]

Actually one of the things I enjoy about PS238 is that the school takes all super-prodigies (kids with powers) no matter whether they are likely to become heroes or villians (Lets face it, it'll take alot to turn Zodon into a champion of the people), or just 'people with powers' (the son of the 'Superman' equivelent wants to be a musician, not a superhero).

I also like the 'Project: Rainmaker' idea of a class for kids whose powers are not of the 'Hero or villian' quality (for instance a boy who can make any inanimate he touches into a nutricious, non fattening food with whatever flavour you can imagine. Or the next incarnation of the goddess Hestia, who can keep plants from dying and give you rituals to help you find a mate.)

Actually a campaign based on supers with 'less than hero level powers' (like the sidekicks from Sky High or the kids of Project: Rainmaker would also be an interesting book. ("How am I supposed to save my city/school/friends from the supervillian all I do is create baked goods?")

Champions Down-Under- showing that Australia and NZ actually have more than 3 superheroes (hey I can dream)

Meh. There's enough scope for adding in extra ones these days. Just plop down an Empyrean, a Silver Avenger, an Atlantean, a "good" Sylvestri or whatever, and you are still broadly compatible with the "official" CU.

I'm happy enough with Australia and NZ's representation these days.

A couple of extra *villains* might be nice, but there are even more generic types that can be slotted in than there are heroes.

On the other hand, the current CU's aliens aren't as useful as they could be, in my opinion. Being able to stick in a few more of them would be handy.

There probably isn't much point for there to be a whole bunch of extra named superbeings hanging around in Australia/NZ. At most, I wouldn't mind seeing a comment in the eventually-upcoming CU update to the effect that the super-population of Australia was underestimated in the original, for whatever reason.

I've got all the characters I need.

Point of order: as I already pointed out, Ultimate books are not Champions supplements. Human Torch (to get it right this time) was asking about Champions supplements.

Nonetheless, I too would love to see The Ultimate Speedster and The Ultimate Base out soon, and preferably in that order.

Guest Major Tom

Brainfart! Brainfart! Brainfart!

I could have sworn it was Strike Force. But I just checked the thread and sure enough Steve was right and I feel like a complete f***ing idiot!

:stupid::no::stupid:

Oh well, it'll teach me to double check rather than relying on my increasingly poor memory. :(

And BFS claims yet another victim...

Major Tom :rolleyes:

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Has anyone suggested an Argent book yet? (I haven't read through the entire thread, just the last couple of pages).

After all these hints and peeks in various other books, I'd love for Hero to just get it over with and give us a VIPER-like organization book for Argent.

Steve Long has mentioned that he and Allen Thomas used to discuss ideas for this. Apparently they concluded that ARGENT could sustain an entire sourcebook, and were considering it.

No telling when it will appear, though, especially with Allen out of the company. :(

Re: The Champions Universe Media SourcebookHow about The Media World? :D

Thirded!

And if you need any extra help on research or background material, I do have a postgraduate degree in journalism. Sure, lots has been written on Lois Lane and Superman, but how much has been written on:

-- Superheroes and the Blogosphere

-- Living intelligent memeplexes and How They Use The Media To Turn Us Into Pod People.

-- Media Apathy, or Civic Defenders meet Civic Disengagement.

-- Supervillian Spin

-- Fourth Amendment Privacy Laws and superheroes: When Superdude's Superhearing is inadmissable.

-- Partisan news agencies, bias, and you: Why Foxglove News cuts Dr. Destroyer so much slack.

-- Obscenity and Radio Interference: The FCC.

-- The Underground Media

-- 23 Reporters

-- -- The Paranoid Journalist

-- -- The Lazy Press Release Journalist

-- -- Competent Editors

-- -- Incompetent Editors

-- Secret Identities vs. the public's right to know.

-- Conflicts of Interest *cough* clark kent *cough*

-- Media Law

-- -- In the U.S. and Canada

-- -- In Great Britain and the Commonwealth

-- -- In China and the rest of Asia

-- -- In Qatar and the Middle East

-- Dynamics of a Newspaper: What's a news story, investigative story, or feature story?

-- Superheroes and your local Sports Journalist.

-- Journalists on the take

-- Television and the network system, cable, satellite, tivo...

-- "Costume Malfunctions"

Also:

Dark Champions: Monster Hunters

Tagline: "Get enough exorcise lately?"

Covering: Gothic Monsters, Very Very Old Gods, Pop Culture Spouting Monster Hunters, Fighting Monsters for Fun and Profit, 101 things to do in Vibora When You're Dead, The Afterlife (or: Your Mileage May Vary,) Evil Is As Evil Does, or why some monsters can be good and some human monster hunters can be monsters, and Science And Superstition.

Bonus points for including a cryogenics institute haunted by the ghosts of the not-exactly-dead-nor-alive called "Icy Dead People"

(Saw the pun on RPG.net and it just is too good to ignore.)