What Champions Books Would You Like Published in the Future?

humantorch101

Re: What Champions Books Would You Like Published in the Future?

Ultimate Superteam - Sorry, but this is just TOO good of an idea. I'd love to see a GM's guide to party/group building.

Ultimate Super-Skill - Already coming so I'm happy!

Ultimate Mentalist - Already coming so I'm happy!

Primus - We need to complete the universe!!!

Btw: Ninja Hero is not the same as Anime Hero. Ninjas have lost a lot of 'cool' factor over the years in the US and a more generic Anime genre book would be nice.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time Travel Champions

Time travel crops up a lot in Marvel and DC comics (sometimes too much so), so why not a book covering time travel in the CU, including more of the major players and of course what happens when one of your characters invents a time machine.

Sadly' date=' Steve is a heretic, anime-wise. :( Doesn't like the stuff at all. Now, this doesn't mean (I think) he'd let his personal preferences get in the way of a book if he determined it would be profitable. I think it might be a bit harder than some to convince him, but he'd approve it if he [i']were[/i] convinced.

Unfortunately a book done without passion is a book that's not all it could be. If You don't like a genre, you shouldn't write a book about it. For Anime Champions I'd use Kanzi 5 as a guide. It's a 4th edition ebook that may or may not still be available. One of the changes to 5ed they'd need to make is that in this book you buy the anime-style backlash powers seem to have. You know that special effect of streets cracking and glass shattering as the ball of power rockets by. Now you just change it to a side effect like the helicpotor blades or jet exhaust like in the Ultimate Vehcile.

Ultimate Superteam - Sorry, but this is just TOO good of an idea. I'd love to see a GM's guide to party/group building.

Btw: Ninja Hero is not the same as Anime Hero. Ninjas have lost a lot of 'cool' factor over the years in the US and a more generic Anime genre book would be nice.

Agreed on both counts. A GM's guide for Champions would be great all around. Something like Villany Amok mixed with small-squad tactics. Even have elements from the other books for general tips. Pair it with a player's guide with advice for players and how to RP skills and personalities they don't have. (Like how to act like you have a 30 INT when you're closer to a 12 INT.)

• 3 weeks later...

The Ultimate Race - A book of species that could be used in either Galactic Champions, normal Champions, Space Hero or Fantasy Hero. Obviously backgrounds to these races would be different in each case.

The Ultimate Race - A book of species that could be used in either Galactic Champions' date=' normal Champions, Space Hero or Fantasy Hero. Obviously backgrounds to these races would be different in each case.[/quote']

Now that is a very good idea. I second it wholeheartedly. The HERO system could really use a book on nonhuman races -- though I'd also add 'uplifts' and morphs for near-future SF.

Just as a fun exercise and maybe an idea churner for Steve and Darren what are the top five Champs books you would love to see published' date=' your own personal wish list.[/quote']

Well, Nucleon's suggestion is obvious;

Immortals In Our Midst

This sourcebook for Champions would include classification, determination, philosophies and aims of the various Immortals that were, in fact, the first Superpowered people of all.

It should be rich with Immortal packages, Immortal Disavantages and codes of behavior, customs, laws and tribunals. It should feature the Immortals's blessed land, the movers and shakers within their communities and the challenges they face, the path they chose, and the camps they joined. It should also include their enchanted animals and varied flora.

Eternals, Celestials, Pantheonic/Mythic Immortals, Demigods, Heralds, Avatars, Champions and their Ilk; Time has come for these true powers to walk the Earth once again!

:saturn:

I'd like to see:

Anime Champions: A really detailed book focusing on anime themes, powers and characters in Champions terms, including optional flavor rules. I'd like to see Micheal Surbrook write this.

It could happen! :D

I think Steve has an idea how profitable Anime Hero would be based on the sales of the 5E Ninja Hero [and isn't Ninja Hero really Anime Hero anyway?].

Not really, no. NH covers anime, manga, video games, HK cinema, and American cinema. Yes there is a lot of martial arts in anime, but then, there is a lot of mecha, magical girls, magicians, espers, catgirls, and what not as well.

Unfortunately a book done without passion is a book that's not all it could be. If You don't like a genre' date=' you shouldn't write a book about it. For Anime Champions I'd use Kanzi 5 as a guide. It's a 4th edition ebook that may or may not still be available.[/quote']

Still in the online store!

Beneath the Surface - A sourcebook to a world completely unknown to almost all surface dwellers. Essentually' date=' an underground world of people who live in a subterrainian world.[/quote']

Hey SS:

If you're intersted in subterranian life and haven's seen "Hidden Lands", take a look. ;)

I'd like to see a package or boxed set of 25mm scale hex maps and cardboard figures.

Also, I'd like to see Strike Force reprinted or at least published as a pdf, for historical value if nothing else. I know Aaron Allston has said he'd like to do an updated version when he has time, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I'd like to see a package or boxed set of 25mm scale hex maps and cardboard figures.

Also, I'd like to see Strike Force reprinted or at least published as a pdf, for historical value if nothing else. I know Aaron Allston has said he'd like to do an updated version when he has time, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I'll agree about the maps and paper minis. Strike Force is fairly easy to still get. Copies go on sale on eBay all the time. I don't think there's any benefit to putting back up for sale without the correct updates to 5E.

Here's my two small copper disks worth.

OCEANIC CHAMPIONS- I'm currently working on ocean themed characters and organizations to use in my campaign that in itself could be used as a sourcebook since I have many of them. This could include a UEO- type organization in charge of protecting the worlds oceans, A research organization with its own super-sub run by an eccentric 4-star Admiral, Corperations who wish to plunder the ocean floor and can do so, More detail into UNTIL's underwater operations, and so on.

LAND OF THE TSARS: RUSSIAN CHAMPIONS- This would include Russian history and mythology from the Mongol Invasion to the rise of the Tzars. From the rise of the Romanov Dynasty to the fall of the Soviet Union. From the Cossacks to the KGB and on to the Red Fellas. This would also include Russia's premiere superteam before and after the fall of the USSR and how to operate a team in which government resources are few and far between( if not outright stolen) plus answers the question; What do KGB agents do when they are out of a job ? This could include an old Russian cold war group(either3e or 4e. I'm not sure) and where are they now and working for whom?

KEEP WATCHING THE SKY: My campaign centers around a secret organization that investigates and defends against UFO's . From ancient tripods to guys wearing dark glasses asking you to stare at a pen, this would cover it all. This would include some of the more famous UFO sites like Roswell and Area 51, Write ups for for various aliens that are both hostile and freindly, Write ups for corperations that wish to exploit alien technology for various purposes, Groups both heroic and superheroic(mine's super),Plus, UNTIL's policies on alien defense. (P.S. UFO Files on the History Channel is a great source)

KINGDOM OF CHAMPIONS: Yes.definetly.

THE RISING SUN: CHAMPIONS OF JAPAN: Ditto.

Here's my two small copper disks worth.

LAND OF THE TSARS: RUSSIAN CHAMPIONS- This would include Russian history and mythology from the Mongol Invasion to the rise of the Tzars. From the rise of the Romanov Dynasty to the fall of the Soviet Union. From the Cossacks to the KGB and on to the Red Fellas. This would also include Russia's premiere superteam before and after the fall of the USSR and how to operate a team in which government resources are few and far between( if not outright stolen) plus answers the question; What do KGB agents do when they are out of a job ?

Now that sounds like a good idea.

And -- what do KGB agents do when they lose their job? They either write tell-alls or join VIPER, of course. ;)

THE RISING SUN: CHAMPIONS OF JAPAN: Ditto.

Another good one. Though I expect we'll have to content ourselves on both scores with Champs Worldwide. Hey, Steve and Darren have only so much energy -- if they were to write what everyone wants, they'd have to e shackled to their computers and sustained via a coffee-filled IV.

Heck, *I'd* like to see CHAMPIONS: SOUTH OF THE BORDER, covering Mexican and Central American heroes (not to mention the Tezcatlipoca worshipping were-jaguars of the Valley of Night, who were forgotten in Hidden Lands, sadly). But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Galaxy Ninja: basically a cross between Ninja Hero and Galactic Champions; how to run a DBZ-level supers game with an anime(or, alternatively, Justice League) feel. sample writeups built on ludicrous numbers of points :eg:

I'd like Stronghold to include everything written about heroes and the law.

a sourcebook on ARGENT.

The Ultimate Mastermind/Ultimate Master Villain: plots, cliches, types, etc.

The Ultimate Immortal: deities in Hero System(esp. FH and champs). C'mon steve, let's see those 2500 point demigods and 7500 point greater gods! ;)

Champions Minus: running a humorous superhero game.

a sourcebook on ARGENT.

Actually, I worked out in chat with a fellow Herophile (Metaphysician, as I recall) an idea for a revised Corporations sourcebook, with ARGENT, Advanced Concepts Industries (Franklin Stone), and Duchess International as the villainous centerpieces, and Harmon Industries as an heroic example. Quite frankly, that's the only packaging that we could think of that would cover ARGENT appropriately (as they aren't quite an agency like VIPER or DEMON).

Actually' date=' I worked out in chat with a fellow Herophile (Metaphysician, as I recall) an idea for a revised Corporations sourcebook, with ARGENT, Advanced Concepts Industries (Franklin Stone), and Duchess International as the villainous centerpieces, and Harmon Industries as an heroic example. Quite frankly, that's the only packaging that we could think of that would cover ARGENT appropriately (as they aren't quite an agency like VIPER or DEMON).[/quote']

I think an Argent sourcebook might look something like the Viper sourcebook, but with a more expanded section on gadgets, weapons and vehicles.

Probably not as much emphasis on individual agent types, but more on villains they supply and use and some stuff on experiments that have gone awry and/or escaped.

1. The Conquerors - adventure supplement with an updated team. Neutron and his, ahem, brotherhood of mutants.

2. I would pay big money for a real comicbook set in the Champions U. Champions vs CKC villains. In the margins or page opposite, would be notes and combat particulars. Please oh please oh please.

Personally I'd go for:

1) An Andromeda sourcebook. (I know, not gonna happen. A guy can dream.)

2) A redux of "Corporations," possibly as "The Business World" (as a tie-in to "The Mystic World."

3) A revisitation of "The Mutant File" as "The Mutant World" or some such.

And any other books for "specialty" campaigns.

Honestly I think Hero Games should get into licenses. They could start small with small universes like Hell Boy. Sure you have to pay royalties but with the rep of the titles you are sure to increase the number of gamers.

They could even do obscure titles like.. Thundercats. Or even films and other generas.

Eventually once you start with the smaller companies the big fish will be more willing to also join in.

I mean how cool would it be to have a JLA source book, or an X-Men?

Honestly I think Hero Games should get into licenses. They could start small with small universes like Hell Boy. Sure you have to pay royalties but with the rep of the titles you are sure to increase the number of gamers.

They could even do obscure titles like.. Thundercats. Or even films and other generas.

Eventually once you start with the smaller companies the big fish will be more willing to also join in.

I mean how cool would it be to have a JLA source book, or an X-Men?

Most of the small licenses have been sold to other companies [Hellboy, as an example]. Dealing with a picture studio for a game is not an easy task. Studios tend to think in dollar amounts that most rpg companies do not even dream about. On top of that for a license to really work you need a more popular system than Hero.

The DC license has already been bought up with indications that it will use the M&M system as it's engine. I do not know about Marvel. They are probably still crying over their stones game. :)